Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Mid way through interior vinyl removal - how to remove remnants and cross-hatch?

Something that has worked well for me once the vinyl-clad is thoroughly cleaned, is to coat the surface with Future floor wax. This procedure kept the sticky surface issue away from my Minuet 6.0 for more than 5 years. The next cleaning was a little easier since the Future kept the surface sealed and there was much less dirt attracted to the patchy areas that had developed the sticky problem.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Thanks, Kevin - this really helps
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Thanks Kevin,
Completely forgot about that tip!

We will need to do that when we start putting the panels back in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #24

1976 31' Sovereign
Mason City , Iowa
I am 99 percent done stripping all the vinyl from my 30ft Sovereign except bathroom, I used EZstrip Power stripper that I bought at the local Menards. It all worked really well. It took longer then I had planned but I would do it again if needed.
Needed products: bristle brush, High quality rubber gloves, respirator, goggles, long sleeves, razor blade, towels, auto body bondo spreader.

If I were to do it all again I would start by using the razor blade on all panels and go along the overlapping lines of aluminum. Brush on EZstrip with bristle brush and DO NOT overlap strokes, I did 18 inch passes from bottom working my way to top and one complete aluminum panel at a time.
Next step when vinyl is soft and showing bubbles grab the vinyl and pull it off in one big sheet and IMMEDIATELY use plastic type scrapper (auto body bondo spreader) to remove adhesive then WIPE with towel. (this is what caused me way more time in the long run. DO NOT LET the adhesive DRY!!!)
Do the ceiling center section last and work back to front doing 12-18 inch patches and get good coverage, the ceiling adhesive is different from the side walls.

GOOD LUCK!
OldSchoolAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
All of this stripping sounds like a lot of work and money. On my refurb I plan to pull all of the panels and put them back after insulation and wiring but not overlapping. I will butt the seams and overlay the panels with laminate sheeting. I have access to many different patterns and sizes at wholesale prices. The textured surface should allow great adhesion. I think the end result will be easier, cheaper and much more appealing. It will likely be a while before this is complete but I will post pictures when I am done. Just another idea on how to combat this dated surface.
Exsys is offline   Reply With Quote