Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Memory foam on gaucho cushions?

We are getting ready to order our foam to make new cushions for the front gaucho and the girls' beds. We planned to use a 2" memory foam topper in addition to 4" of foam.

We have heard that using memory foams on a "seat" (which our gaucho will be every day we camp) is not a good idea as the memory foam can take on the shape/divots of those who sit on it...making it a not-so-comfy bed at night.

Can anyone share their decision/experiences? We need to order the foam soon...

Thanks! Ben and Lynn
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I laminated 2" memory foam over 4" of high density foam for both my Boles Aero and my Airstream Safari. It has been several years now of both sitting and sleeping and I have not noticed any "divots". In fact, it makes an extremely comfortable bed. I would never go back to just regular foam. I have noticed that when the interior temperatures are near freezing the memory foam is fairly stiff until it warms up a bit. Hope this helps.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Beatrice , Nebraska
We bought 6" twin size memory foam mattresses off of amazon. They have 4" of regular foam and 2" of memory foam on top. We just took an electric bread knife to them and cut them to size. It sleeps wonderful and returns to shape quickly. You have to love amazon prime for orders like that.

Ryan
golopogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I put some 2 inch foam over the really hard mattresses in the back it is helped them a lot. The foam should recover in a few minutes so I don't think there will be a permanent divet there if you use it as a bed at night. What you need to worry about is the foam under that taking a set. I would use the most rigid foam they have as the bottom layer and 2 inches of memory foam on top if I were sleeping on it. I got the memory foam topper from Walmart for $70. I think it was king or queen size and I cut it to fit the rear twins.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote