Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
cute curtains!

Hey Tammy ...those are really cute! How did you fit the top rods to the window? Do they fit in the same hardware as the roller shades that come with the Airstream?
Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano57
Does anyone have experience with Day/Night Pleated Shades
by United Shade at http://unitedshade.com/index.php

My wife and I are thinking of putting them in a 79 Excella 500. The only thing is that as mentioned previously there will be some areas around the periphery that will allow light and sight in so the wife is proposing I build boxes along the side to match the valance.

Dan
Dan,
It can be done! you just have to cut the sides to match the curve of the Airstream sides.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Cute dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos
....Debra
A Frenchie!! [not to hijack the thread ... well, only a little bit] I only wish they could tolerate any winter here in Minnesota!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I had to put up the hardware that came with the rods. It was a little tricky getting the right side in because our oven is there. Had to lay across the sink, but I just used a long screw to hold it in place. For the left side, which was sooo much easier, I used a rivet.
Tammy
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #25
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
I saw a pretty cool idea in the current issue of a magazine called Ready-Made. They show how to make folding blinds using maps! They also have an article on a restored Airstream that's fun.
krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Folding Maps??

Krista that is a really GREAT idea using the folding maps as a window covering....I think that the really big ones that are plastic coated would work quite well and be colorful as well. You could probably put some grommets in them at the top and slide them on.

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I don't like fussy either but have trouble committing to one look, so here is my solution, which I hope will translate to the Airstreams: Use 2 cafe rods, one at the top of the window & one at the bottom, and outfit them both with the curtain rings that have pinch clips (here is a pic: http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.c...nhbr&gids=p446 )

That way you can use any material you want & adjust the tension between the top & bottom clips so that the covering stays with the curve of the body if necessary. they slide easily.

i swap out sheers & washed canvas depending on the season & don't even bother hemming them half of the time. I suppose a window crank could get in the way but no more so than it would with other treatments.
I have 1969 Caraval with original curtains.....too much fabric!! Would like a cleaner look, and the top and bottom rods sound good. What do you do about the holes that are left when you remove the all of the old slide rods (or whatever those things are called)? Does replacing the old curtain style reduce the value of a vintage Airstream? Maybe I can store all of the old stuff for when/if I ever sell? I have joined "Sisters on the Fly" so will be decorating with a western theme, but I don't want to destroy the integrity of the Airstream....so looking for ideas.
Lone Rangerette is offline   Reply With Quote