Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Looking for simple DIY drape/curtain ideas

I have a 1979 31' with a center bath. The original drapes were removed by a previous owner, along with the lower tracks.

This same previous owner installed some residential style valances and roll up blinds, which do the job, but I'd like something that looks a bit more like the original.

I know that JPA Drapes could set me up, but I am looking for a cheaper DIY alternative for now. Please post any photos of your projects.

Thanks,
Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Silver Threads

There is a member on these forums that makes curtains for Airstreams. Maybe you can contact her for further information.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hi Christopher,
I have always admired the interiors of the trailers redone by SimonHanbury ... and I intend to, someday, fashion some curtains for my trailer using hardware like he has used as the PO of my trailer also removed the curtain track hardware. Here's a link to his member photos - I think a few show the curtains & rods. Seems the curtains could just be seamed fabric rectangles - attached to the rods via clip rings. Though the cost of rods could get up there in $$$

Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
consider

You might want to consider replacing the tracks and going back to what the original AS had up there for curtains. The tracks can be replaced, I believe.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Let me know what solution you devise. My GT is missing any semblance of a lower track or guide and all drapes. I've resorted to grabbing an over-sized white towel and using mini binder clips to attach it to the upper plastic curtain guides in the tract. I know, I know, it must look like real trailer trash, but it works. Trying to find an inexpensive solution that will do the trick and not cost me big bucks. Can anybody else out there offer insight????
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
depends on pretty

How pretty do you want it to look? If you want something really simple you can do what I did to make privacy curtains for our 15 passenger van in which Larry made a little camper package...bed, porta-potty, electrical outlets, microwave etc. I used newspaper to make templates of the big windows. Then used those templates to cut out naugahyde material. I put small pieces of velcro on the naugahyde and then matched them up with small pieces in the corners of the windows. Small enough to hold and be pretty much hidden (our windows are tinted). The neat thing about using the naugahyde is that it is room darkening. They turned out great. When not in use they are stacked together, rolled up and stored out of the way. Larry put up a PVC "curtain rod" across the front, behind the driver's seat and I made a nice curtain to hang there. Looks good!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 01-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
This page explains nicely the T & G stuff, which I gather, works better than what I currently have in my '69:

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

You could put these types of tracks in and buy slides to match. These are cheap(er) generic RV curtains that can be hemmed/adpated:

Ready-Made Windshield Drapes, 130-180"W x 36"L - Oyster - Item - Camping World
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
smithtown , New York
Just purchased a 28' flying cloud trailer and the blinds do not lay flush against the wall. I particularly have a privacy issue in the bedroom. What can I do to block out the space between the window and the blind? Any ideas?
EMARRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Roller shades

Don't know if the new trailers come with the old fashioned roller shades but I just put some in the kitchen and bedroom of my 72 Tradewind. The trailer still had the mounts in it so I ordered from Blinds.com
They were pretty cheap and now when I pull it down the room goes dark. I don't have blinds in my trailer just drapes. The roller shades also help keep the cold out another benefit.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMARRS View Post
Just purchased a 28' flying cloud trailer and the blinds do not lay flush against the wall. I particularly have a privacy issue in the bedroom. What can I do to block out the space between the window and the blind? Any ideas?
I think the newer Flying Clouds have roller shades if I'm not mistaking ... or perhaps Venician blinds depending on the trim package (our 06 Bambi Safari SE, the precursor of the Flying Cloud has Venician blinds). There is a little gap between the curved AS wall and the blinds or shades when they are closed, but it hasn't been too bad for us. About the only way around that is to install top & bottom tracks for curtains like those found on your pano window(s)...and make curtains with wrap-around/snap-down ends like those on the pano. Some work, but not impossible.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Here are some photos #34 of ours. If you have some experience sewing, they are not difficult. The measuring and cutting are the most time consuming parts.

Good Luck!

Judy
jwvastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
smithtown , New York
We have a 28ft. flying cloud and when the dinette window is open it prevents the outer door from latching to the outside wall of the trailer during warmer weather. It hits up against the open window and sways in the breeze. Any suggestions?

Ed
EMARRS is offline   Reply With Quote