Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Leg O Matic refinishing opinions

Hey Gang,

After long anticipation, I received my Leg-O-Matic chairs earlier in the week. I knew one of the chair backs was missing some laminate before it came, but there were other spots that need a bit of repair. I have replaced the missing laminate on on chairs back, and repaired a large crack in one of the legs. As much as I would like to keep these in the wood tone, the repairs will be very visible. We are going to paint them, but what color. The first picture is the fabric color we have to recover the cushions in. The second is of the chairs of course.

I think black would be too dark, but I am no interior designer. Our floor is a brown stone texture.

Anyone have a color thought????

Steve

Old 03-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Steve, maybe it's my computer - the photos aren't showing, just boxes with an X in the center.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
ya know....another person said they get the same thing, but others can read it. You can also read the blog.

Steve
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I'm also only getting two squares with an X in them.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Lets try again

Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hi there Steve-

Great chairs! I would try to keep them in the original finish if at all possible. Painting them would be a shame. Once you have mastered veneering you will be surprised how well the repairs will come out. Are the labels still on the bottom of the chairs? Is so could you email me a photo of the complete label?

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rick,

No lables were found on them

Unfortunately, we want to be using these chairs soon, and painting is a good option for us. I will never be able to match the old finish, and if I sand down all the old finish, I will still have areas that will stick out like a sore thumb (veneer repair), etc.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
after doing a forum search for "leg o matic" and getting about 10,000 non-relevant threads (my typical forum search experience...any hints anyone) I must ask: what 's a leg o matic chair? do the legs fold up under the chair? if so, that's a good looking folding chair!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rick,

Do a search on google and you will come across some antique furniture information. The chair back folds down towards the seat cushion, and both sets of legs fold towards one another.

Here is a pic of them folded.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I took some time today and recovered one of my cushions. I have not used my power stapler in about 5 years so lets just say I had a few machine gun moments. Looking at a chair with the same wood and seat back as mine on ebay with no broken laminate. Hopefully I can get it, and recover it....no painting required.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
after doing a forum search for "leg o matic" and getting about 10,000 non-relevant threads...
here ya go 'chop...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...air-11327.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...rage-2088.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...airs-7624.html

it's laughable that ne1 would suggest painting these OLD CHAIRS is a shame or affects their 'collectibility' ...

what IS a shame is hoping that even a painted and glued up version of these old frail chairs...

with very dried wood and un braced legs..

can withstand the rigors of camping or heavy usage or youngsters, after 40+ years.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
what IS a shame is hoping that even a painted and glued up version of these old frail chairs...

with very dried wood and un braced legs..

can withstand the rigors of camping or heavy usage or youngsters, after 40+ years.

cheers
2air'
Hi 2air,

Under most circumstances I would agree about that. In this case, I think the medic clan will be better off than most of us. You know them. They won’t place nearly the strain on the chairs as my big ole fat a**.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
_

. , .
u could be right vaughan, and lets hope so.

but most old dried, brittle wooden furniture (like these) serves best now as decoration...

and imagine taking one of these OUTSIDE 2 use on concrete or gravel or other camping surfaces.

so paint and new coverings may actually STRENGTHEN these...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
so paint and new coverings may actually STRENGTHEN these...

cheers
2air'
You may be right there. Best to you!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Whoa!

2Air...where is your appreciation of vintage?

Steve - I'm just a couple of weeks behind you - waiting for my e-bay leg-o-matics to arrive. I'm not expecting perfection - but hopefully, the seller was honest in describing them - and I will not be disappointed. I am expecting work - check out this vap - 1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! » 2007» May . His leg-o-matics looked great after the restoration and he added more cush to the seat. These chairs are well-designed and well-made (and made in the USA) - kinda like our Airstreams - and should last much longer with reasonable care. The Howards Restore-A-Finish might work well for your chairs - they do look good in the photos...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
These chairs are only being used for extra seating at the dining table opposite the sofa. We have a set of three bag chairs for outside use. Other than that, I sat a long while playing guitar with no issues in one of them.

As long as the locking mechanism stays working I am comfortable.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink
2Air...where is your appreciation of vintage?

Steve - I'm just a couple of weeks behind you - waiting for my e-bay leg-o-matics to arrive. I'm not expecting perfection - but hopefully, the seller was honest in describing them - and I will not be disappointed. I am expecting work - check out this vap - 1960 Airstream Ambassador Project! » 2007» May . His leg-o-matics looked great after the restoration and he added more cush to the seat. These chairs are well-designed and well-made (and made in the USA) - kinda like our Airstreams - and should last much longer with reasonable care. The Howards Restore-A-Finish might work well for your chairs - they do look good in the photos...
George,

Which ones did you get off ebay? We were likely bidding against one another for them.

Steve
Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Gang,

After long anticipation, I received my Leg-O-Matic chairs earlier in the week. I knew one of the chair backs was missing some laminate before it came, but there were other spots that need a bit of repair. I have replaced the missing laminate on on chairs back, and repaired a large crack in one of the legs. As much as I would like to keep these in the wood tone, the repairs will be very visible. We are going to paint them, but what color. The first picture is the fabric color we have to recover the cushions in. The second is of the chairs of course.

I think black would be too dark, but I am no interior designer. Our floor is a brown stone texture.

Anyone have a color thought????

Steve

Steve,

If I might respectfully suggest. Sanding is not needed. Make the repair then scrub the entire chair with denatured alcohol, 4/0 steel wool, and apply two coats of two pound cut dewaxed orange shellac. No need to paint but if you decided to do so then you can paint over the shellac. Dewaxed shellac will stick to anything and anything will stick to the shellac. I think the original finish was shellac, if so denatured alcohol will clean them nicely.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Cape Coral , Florida
Steve,
Actually this wasn't an e-bay auction. It was an e-bay "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" Listing (item 310018502243). I asked a few questions - got satisfactory answers - and made an offer which was accepted. This listing was "hidden" when I did a search for "Lorraine chair". Lorraine made the leg-o-matic...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Cape Coral , Florida
Great info Royce - I like options...