Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's Curtains!

Hi, all.
I have a trailer( '72 Argosy20) that came with zero curtains. Until now, I have been using store-bought curtains, but they don't really do the job.
Since I have no curtains, and don't know for sure how they go (there seem to be fittings for two curtains where there is no window also), does anybody have or know where I can find, interior images showing the drapery configuration of the early '70's Airstreams/Argosy's?
Thanks in advance.
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
You should see some sort of thin aluminum tracks at both the top and bottoms of the windows that had plastic slides that the curtains are strung from. You will probably see what is left of the original slides. There are many variations over the years, different track styles, slides, valances, etc., etc.,. If your Argosy hasn't been stripped of any of it's original fittings you can order new curtains that will replace the old and fit like a glove.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Lightbulb Just a thought....

I don't know if you or your wife are planning on making the curtains yourself, but my wife says that there are pleats on the top and the bottom of the curtains.

If you go you here and visit the archive section you might be able to see several pictures. This is on the vintageairstream.com site. Click on the 1975 27' Overlander International model and you can see the curtains my wife made. It is the previous camper that we used to own. However, the pictures may not be close enough to see very much detail.

If you are close to a dealership, you may want to pay them a visit. You could get a good look at several different models that way!

Oh! Don't forget your camera; you might get some shots you can use for reference later on!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Terry,

I have some close-up pictures of the curtains in the camper we now have. My wife also made those.

(Quite talented isn't she?)

I'm trying to figure out how to post them on here but I'm having trouble getting them up-loaded. If they don't show up then send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can e-mail them to you.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 08-04-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tracks? What tracks?

You should see some sort of thin aluminum tracks at both the top and bottoms of the windows that had plastic slides that the curtains are strung from. You will probably see what is left of the original slides. There are many variations over the years, different track styles, slides, valances, etc., etc.,. If your Argosy hasn't been stripped of any of it's original fittings you can order new curtains that will replace the old and fit like a glove.

Chas

Well, I think I see my first problem...
There are tracks for all the curtains along the tops, but nothing but some holes in the trailer where bottom tracks would go.
Anybody have any extra tracks for the bottoms of windows? And of course, the little clips that hold the bottoms of the curtains to the tracks? And while I'm wishing, I would like a pony...
Terry
(in Florida)
Old 08-04-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
You could make some "custom" curtains that would utilize the factory mountings at the top and just let the ends hang free. Not the way they were meant to be but maybe it would work for you. You could also sew in a continuous pocket at the end of the curtains and run a piece of bungee cord thru it, having little rings here and there at the bottom of the window to hold it against the wall. When I was a kid we had a very unique, molded in one piece fiberglass slide-in truck camper that had the curtains fastened exactly the same way but with a long spring run thru it, before the days of bungee cords I guess?

My folks sewed up several sets of curtains for that camper, I probably spent more on my Ambruso curtains than they paid for that camper, back in the early 60's.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I'm sure you can get the parts for the curtains (slides and tracks) from Inland RV. www.inlandrv.com
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When I was a kid we had a very unique, molded in one piece fiberglass slide-in truck camper that had the curtains fastened exactly the same way but with a long spring run thru it, before the days of bungee cords I guess?

Chas, I think the spring thing may be the way to go, at least on the side curtains.
And while I am on a curtain kick, I have seen references to privacy curtains separating the two couches in my trailer. Any Ideas on how they would be situated? Where and how would they attach, how far toward the floor and ceiling they would go, etc.?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-04-2003, 08:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
It's Curtains!

Greetings Terry!

One possibility is to fall-back on the method used in the 1960s Airstreams. My '64 Overlander has never had anything but a top track for the drapes. The drapes were held to the curvature of the coach by attaching small plastic rings to the lining in the pleats of the drapes at the level of the window bottom - - a long piece of elastic was then fitted with snaps on either end and threaded through the plastic rings with the ends being attached to the wall via a snap - - the result was a drape that operated rather easily and stayed relatively close to the wall.

I believe that I heard via one of the Airstream discussion groups that the bottom track is still available from Airstream which would mean that your nearest dealer should be able to order it if it isn't a stock item. The front window arrangment is current enough that it should be available I would think. I know that the slides that attach to the drapes and the tracks are readily available as all new slides were a part of the new drapes that were just installed in my Minuet this Spring (I believe that the slides are a Kirsch window hardware product but am not absolutely certain).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
I have some close-up pictures of the curtains in the camper we now have. My wife also made those.

(Quite talented isn't she?)

I'm trying to figure out how to post them on here but I'm having trouble getting them up-loaded.
Here are some pictures I spoke of on this post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curtain03.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2785  

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 08-25-2003, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Here is another angle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curtains01.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	2788  

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
The finished product!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curtains03.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2790  

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 09-07-2003, 10:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Silvertwinky, nice pix. Curious though...Are you able to use your table with that swivel rocker in your trailer? I have seen several pictures with nice plush chairs and was trying to figure out how they fit and still have access to the folding table.

The table in my trailer is not original and I think it is from a dinette. As soon as I can find a cradenza with table I intend to replace it.

Would you post a pic that shows a different angle to better see the chair and table arrangement. We have a 74 Arogsy28 were trying to make more usable as the PO made some drastic changes. You can see some pics of our trailer in the www.argosytrailer.com. Just look in 1974.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Are you able to use your table with that swivel rocker in your trailer?

Darryl,

The swivel rocker you see is actually sitting in our house at this time. We got it to use in the trailer but found it was just more in the way. We were always moving it back and forth in order to make use of the table, etc.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360