Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mission , British Columbia
Is there a good way to label the interior skins?

The interior skins are starting to come down, and though I have a place to store them I want to make sure I label them well, have them in a semi-organized order, and am not sure the best way to do that.

Options I have considered:
1. Use painters tape and a marker to number them 1 to whatever and take photos of them on the wall before they are taken down. (If I lose those photos I am in trouble)

2. Reference most of the panels by their location in relation to windows I have already assigned numbers to (i.e. right side of window #11, left surround of window #8 etc.).

3. Number them but add a prefix such as B, M, T (Bottom, Middle, Top) as it seems they have a certain sequence to overlap them when you install/uninstall.

4. Write a long-winded explanation of where I think this panel is in relation to the original floor plan (i.e. middle panel behind the fridge)

You've all done this before, right? What's a non-maddening way to do this so re-installing is easy?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Snap a line down the centre (butt line) call it 0" at the front outside skin and work your way back in inches. Imagine the interior skins removed as one and laid out like a bear skin rug, draw this and label each sheet on the drawing then transfer that individual skins name and the fore/ aft location in inches to each skin using a ball point pen on metal tape and about 6" of wire. Attach wire to skin at a rivet hole. Suggest curb side lower fore, curb side upper fore, curb side lower aft, curb side upper aft, then on the mid ceiling sections. Similar for windows.

Hope that helps more than confuses.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Michelle, I just drew a quick elevation sketch of the sides, end and top. I labeled the back of each panel with a magic marker and replicated on the drawing. It’ll be pretty easy to reinstall. The rivet holes will line up when the correct panel is in the correct location. Get plenty of clecos. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mission , British Columbia
Thank you both for your suggestions. I did have a printed floorpan I was working on, so marked up the perimeter of the plan with numbers that matched what I put on my panels. I also added some extra markups on edges of the panels if they overlapped another panel.

There were a few super-long panels that I marked on my drawing where they started and ended. The windows (which I had already marked and numbered) were good reference points too, as a lot of the panels are sitting below/above/beside at least one window. I at least feel confident enough that I won't be relying on my memory when it comes time to put these back! My markings were all on masking tape, but I will go back and put on some wired tags before I start cleaning them.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Great. You can match up the old rivet holes and install 5/32” clecos. You need to go back with larger pop rivets than original due to the original hole is a bit stretched. If your originals were 1/8”, then go back with 5/32”. Keep us posted
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Well, you could number the panels like spaces are named on Navy ships. It's more complex than is needed for a trailer, for example an Airstream will only have one deck. Deck number is usually the first part of standard naming scheme.

Next is frame number. Name the panels for the frame they attach to on their leading edge. First frame is 1; space ahead of that is labeled 0. Increase the frame number by one as you go back frame by frame.

Ship spaces are numbered from the keel, or the ship's centerline from nose to tail. The compartment numbers increase as they go outward from the center. Spaces on the port side, the left side when looking forward, are odd numbered; spaces on the starboard side are even numbered. You can number your panels odd for left and even for right after the frame number.

You don't need to worry about the compartment usage code letter. Or you could use it if you enjoy the nerdiness of it. You can google them if you're curious.

Have fun.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Sharpie and a picture of where the panel was.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote