Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
S Abington Twp , Pennsylvania
"Invest in Rest!"

It's now 50 years since my wife and I married while still in college. While shopping for a new mattress, the salesman continued to emphasize the importance of investing in a fine mattress since approximately one third of our lifetime involves sleeping. As poor college kids, we felt his slogan was directed more at a commission check than our comfort.

However, as we moved into careers, that slogan, "invest in rest" came to mind as each of us complained of sleeping poorly and morning body aches. So, we plunged in...the sheep won out with our decision to buy the best king size Serta mattress.

Wow!!! Wonder of wonders...waking refreshed...no back aches. Maybe there really is something to that corny slogan which continued to rattle in my brain. For our entire working life we enjoyed a fine mattress. Then we moved onto a 40 foot sailboat and fortunately the prior owner also splurged for a Custom Craft mattress which was comfortable even after 10 years. But, as rv'ing entered our lives, mattress quality plummeted ...along with quality rest. New top of the line mattresses have been purchased for each of the rv's we have since owned.

As we begin exploring the world of Airstream, my wife questioned if a new mattress purchase would be required even in a new or late model Airstream. One would expect with six figure starting price tags, we would have already "invested in rest" and should find a high-end comfortable mattress. So, I ask this group...do Airstream Campers include a high-end comfortable mattress? ...or is it a low to middle grade straw tick found in nearly all of the production grade campers? Just wondering....

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm sure most manufacturers don't spend much on a mattress. Instead, they cover it with ten decorator pillows.
You don't buy Airstreams because of the mattress. (or not buy one because of the mattress.)

However, whenever I hear "Invest", I hold on to my wallet. (especially if it's from a politician.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Our 2017 Serenity RB Twin has great mattresses (although not quite as good as our Tempur-Pedic® motion beds at home. I understand that the Classic may also have a motion queen bed.