Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Manning , South Carolina
Interior Walls Removed and Stripped!!!

Its been awhile since our last post but we have been busy with other projects. The hubby gutted the interior and removed all the interior skins of the Argosy. They came out pretty easily. We read on the forums about the Jasco stripper method for the removal of the vinyl covered skins so we tried a test panel first. Thanks a lot to all of you who have taken the time to post your experiences because they have been so helpful to us.
We used a brush to apply the stripper and did not go in one direction the whole time. I know the posts on here stated that was important but I kept forgetting that part when I was putting the stipper on the test panel. I was completely covered up except for a small part of my face and let me tell you, this stuff still found the only exposed area of skin and just like previous posters have stated, it burns like heck. Splashing water on the burn spot did help though.
Anyway, we applied the stripper, used cling wrap to cover the panel , and then waited about an hour. Below is the picture of the first test panel. We had to reapply the stripper because the vinyl did not lift in a lot of areas. We did not know whether or not to cover it again so we chose not too. The edges of the test panel did not lift well at all. We kept plugging along until it was all off. We cleaned the first test panel with Acetone. The cleanup was the easiest part. After some trial and error with the Acetone, we went with putting small amounts of the Acetone directly onto the panel on top of the glue residue, then waited a few seconds while watching for the acetone to thin the glue enough to wipe off. We found that using an old terry dishcloth to do the initial wipe off worked better that paper towels or t-shirts. We tried all of them to see which worked best.
For the final clean up, we used old white tshirt cloths. The main thing about the Acetone is the quick evaporation point. We had to wait a few seconds before leaning over the panel to check to see when to wipe the acetone off and we waited because of the vapors acetone produces. It was tricky to figure out when to look and when to wipe but once we got the hang of it, it was easy-peasy. We switched up our method after the first test panel because of the initial time it took to remove the vinyl from the skin. I'll post those photos and variation next. We would not have been able to do this if we had not removed the skins. Fresh air and room to work made all the difference to us.
Thanks for reading.

Angela and Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	165793   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	165794  

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	165795   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	165796  

Cafe Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Manning , South Carolina
Variation of Method of Vinyl Removal

Hi All,

We did a test of the Jasco stripper on an interior vinyl clad skin. The results are under the previous post. We ended up changing up a few parts of our removal method and I wanted you guys to see our results. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.The steps, results, and photos are listed below.
1. We layed interior panel on its side.
2. Sprayed with Tilex. (Bought large container with hose sprayer from Lowes).
3. Left Tilex on for 15 minutes.
4. Sprayed with water hose to remove any Tilex and dirt/grime. (We did have to respray a couple of times).
5. Let panel dry in sun.
6. Layed panel onto makeshift table (in shaded area) to apply stripper.
7. Measured off lengthwise sections a little narrower than the cling wrap. Needed allowance for overlap. See below.
8. Applied stripper with a 2 inch throwawy brush (Wally world multi pack). Poured small amount of stripper directly onto panel in narrow line down length of panel staying in measured section. Brushed stripper down measured off section to have a thin layer brushed on.
9. Covered with Cling Wrap pressing cling wrap down so that the wrap will grab and stick to the Jasco remover.
10.Put panels on side (easier storage), left stripper on overnight.

Below are pictures of our results. Two people make this an easy job. The wide cling wrap/film from Sam's or Costco would have made it an easier one but we just used what we had on hand. It took about 1 1/2 gallons of the Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover to do all the panels. The hubby was in charge of putting the Remover/stripper on and after the first few pieces, he decided to just use a little more on the edges and right under the egdes to ensure they lifted up. After he brushed stripper out, I held cling wrap box and I pulled out edge of wrap, he grabbed edge of wrap from me, then I put my fingers inside of box and into the edges of tube. This helped the wrap roll out easier. Basically from here, he went to one end of the panel and I walked down to other end of panel pulling out wrap as I went. We did not lay down the cling wrap until I got to the end of panel. Then he layed his end down, walked down beside panel pressing down as he went. First piece of wrap had about an inch overhang which we just tucked under. After first wrap section we just made sure we overlapped each section from our allowance measurements.
The results:
The vinyl almost FELL OFF the skin!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	165840   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (14).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	165841  

Name:	photo (17).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	165842   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (15).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	165843  

Cafe Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
We are considering stripping all the vinyl off our 66' Caravel, so this helps!
Are you going to paint the metal or just go with the metal wall?
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote