Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Interior Skins

Hello. New to the forum and new airstream owner. We recently purchased a 1969 27’ Overlander. We intend to use it in a set location not for traveling the country. I’ve tried and tried to search the forum for any information I can get on interior skins, but the more I read the more confused I get. So, what are the interior skins made of, aluminum or fiberglass type material? Ours seems to be some type of fiberglass, but I can’t verify that. So, what’s the real answer? How do I patch holes that have been cut in the interior or holes from items that are no longer there. I’m sure there’s an answers on here somewhere, but I just can’t find them. I’m sure I’ll have 50,000 more questions before this ordeal is over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
64mtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Most of your interior skins would be aluminum if original. The interior end caps are probably fiberglass/plastic of some type.

Repairs will depend on the size. If just a rivet hole. I'd put in a new rivet. (Olympic rivets to be shaved smooth if you don't want a hole to show in the middle of the rivet.) Larger would be a patch. Whether to patch or replace a panel is up to you.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
It goes without saying that the interior is a heck of a lot easier to patch than the exterior. Our 66 had the Alcoa factory vinyl covered interior .032 aluminum. I don’t know if the 69s do or not. We stripped all the vinyl off and patched/painted. Like Harold said, patch. We did use pop rivets but I sealed the rivet holes on some so they wouldn’t stand out after painting. I guess it all depends on what you want the end product to look like. If it is the vinyl covered aluminum, I don’t know if the smooth aluminum patch would be apparent if painted over with vinyl adjacent to it. I think I would patch, and use some bondo in the small holes, and prime the entire interior with thick primer like Kilz Adhesive and paint a finish over that. Just thoughts. Good luck.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Thank you for the information.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
What’s the best method of removing the interior vinyl?
Old 04-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64mtp View Post
What’s the best method of removing the interior vinyl?
If the panels are outside in the open air, Aircraft Stripper. If inside, Citristrip. It takes a little longer for the Citristrip due to it drying out sooner than later. I placed a piece of plastic over the wet Citristrip which allowed it to work longer. Keep in mind that Aircraft Stripper is bad stuff, Citristrip not so much and it smells good. Good luck and wear PPE stuff when messing with strippers.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote