Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Happy Town , California
Interior skin storage

Hello!

I'm reinsulating and rewiring a '74 Sovereign, and recently pulled all the interior skins. Because it's going to be awhile before I'm ready to rivet them back in place, will the panels experience any damage from being left exposed to somewhat mild elements? (Pretty dry and shady). I figured that because they are aluminum (vinyl-clad I think?), they can survive outside just like the outer skins, but wasn't sure if the vinyl was more susceptible to mold, sun, or anything else I might not be aware of. I plan on covering the inner skins anyway because they are not pretty, so scratches and so forth are no problem...any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Jean Lebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I left mine standing against the poles of a standard 10x20 storage tent. They were there for about a year, then we laid them down and power washed the interior skins, still look clean.

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Interior skin storage

If you don't need to worry about preserving the original finish, outside will be ok for some time. I would elevate them off the ground and maybe keep them separated one from the other so that they wont stay wet on the edges or between the sheets.

By the way, what are you covering them with?

I went with wood.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
I rolled mine up, tied them and set them upright in a corner of the garage. They don't take up much space at all and they are dry.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote