Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Jayeh1

Thumbs up Interior Refinish/repairs?

I am deep into renewing the interior of a 77 Argosy 26'. fortunately most of the work just requires elbow grease. However, that said, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with the deteriorated yellow plastic the used to cover the bare edges of the aluminum panels under and around the front windows. It looks like the plastic was slid behind the panel edge before is was rivieted in place. "Inland" say the material is no longer available - I would have been suprised if it was. Most of the exposed edges have become brittle and broken off so the raw edge of the Aluminum shows. Ideas?
jayeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
https://trimlok.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh1
...how to deal with the deteriorated yellow plastic the used to cover the bare edges of the aluminum panels under and around the front windows. Ideas?
I have exactly the same problem on my '73 argosy 20, but that specific problem hadn't hit my radar screen yet. I figured that the edge rivets would need to be removed, the old trim cleaned out and a suitable replacement found. I'm guessing it would be automotive in nature. I just did a quick google search for "edge trim" and found this...

http://trimlok.com/

Please post your solution when you find it.

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
See if this is what you are looking for?

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1616&src=SRQZ

It comes in White & Beige
I picked up a roll. The beige is not wide enough for my trim, I needed, 1 1/8" So I can not use it. Cheap money, $5 a roll.
So I found something at Home depot that, with a little cutting fits perfect
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Jayeh1

Post Auto edge trim may work!

Thanks for the suggestion about auto trim. I did a brief search also and turned up a couple of prospects. I will let you know what if finally do.

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #5

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
[QUOTE=balrgn]See if this is what you are looking for?QUOTE]

I can't tell from the photo or the name what that is. Can you post a picture or give us detailed measurments?

Thanks,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 02-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
[QUOTE I can't tell from the photo or the name what that is. Can you post a picture or give us detailed measurments?
Thanks, Steve[/QUOTE]

It comes in a 25' roll. Measures 1" wide. It has a set to it, concave, so that when you put it into the insert it uses that to help hold it in and even. I "think" I can use it in the bath, I could not in the main area as the trim is 1-1/8" wide.
I was able to find some great stuff at Home Depot. It is faom filled and extreemly tough. It matches the tambors like it was made to order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02447.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	10337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02424.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	10338  

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #7

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
No cigar

Thanks Balrgn. That's not the stuff I was thinking of. On my '73 the vinyl covered sheet metal that abuts the front windows has this "u" or "j" channel covering the rough edges.

I just ordered some samples from Outwater Plastics. I'll let you know if anything good shows up. If you don't already have their massive free catalog... get it. It will amaze you

http://www.outwater.com/

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Jayeh1

Too Late

Balrng,

Sorry I did not see you posting earlier. The stuff you show is not what I'm looking for now - two weeks ago yes but I already bought original stuff from "Inland" It is great but expensive.
I'm looking for the same stuff Steve is. I hope he has found something at "outwater"
Thanks
Jay
Old 02-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #9

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh1
I'm looking for the same stuff Steve is. I hope he has found something at "outwater". Jay
Nothing that Outwater Plastics has is perfect. The original edge trim has a 3/4" lip that gets trapped behind the sheetmetal and is rivited through as well. One profile(left picture); #616 looks correct, but is too stiff and is made out of styrene. though you could probably notch the back to get it to bend around the windows(heating to bend didn't work for me). The white "u" shaped profile #1964WH is the best option and will bend any direction you like, but is uniformly thick and will not sit as flat against the wall as the "J" profiles would. It's in the "metalic channel moulding" line though it's a soft plastic. The other chrome moulding pictured is #709 and is too stiff for bending as well but would look good on straight runs.

Also below is a close-up picture of my front window and the broken yellowed trim.

www.outwater.com

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	10404   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	10405  

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	10409  
Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
Jayeh1

Arrow Still looking

Sorry to hear the outwater stuff did not work well. The only other thing I have found is some white auto edge trim at JC Whitney. Its not too expensive so I may order some and see how it goes. It should be flexable enough if I can get it to slide behind the panels.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
Airstream Newbie

1974 25' Tradewind
Murphy , Texas
I realize you're not looking for the 1 & 1/8" trim, but for those who are I found an inexpensive alternative. I bought 80" vinyl vertical blinds from Home Depot and cut them 1 & 1/8" wide for insertion into the aluminum trim channels of the bathroom. Here is a picture of how it came out (disregard yellowed end cap... will be painted white soon):

mwmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Have you found any way to replace the corners of the cabinets that are plastic. My 78 Argosy has cracked where they curve down. These are the upper cabinets in the kitchen area. I bought a digital camera and it's sitting here very near my computer all snug in it's box. That's as far as I've gotten with my leap into new tech. toys. Sooo you probably won't see any of the great pictures you are all sending coming from me. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmoss
I realize you're not looking for the 1 & 1/8" trim, but for those who are I found an inexpensive alternative. I bought 80" vinyl vertical blinds from Home Depot and cut them 1 & 1/8" wide for insertion into the aluminum trim channels of the bathroom.
Great tip! Thanks - I'll be trying this around the bathroom sink cabinet!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
Airstream Newbie

1974 25' Tradewind
Murphy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Have you found any way to replace the corners of the cabinets that are plastic. My 78 Argosy has cracked where they curve down. These are the upper cabinets in the kitchen area. I bought a digital camera and it's sitting here very near my computer all snug in it's box. That's as far as I've gotten with my leap into new tech. toys. Sooo you probably won't see any of the great pictures you are all sending coming from me. Judy
Not exactly sure which corners you're referring to, but I plan to replace the corners of my lower cabinet in the bathroom with the same vinyl vertical blind material. The corners are still intact in this picture, but I've since stripped them off. Under the corner pieces (thin vinyl) was sticky foam tape that kept the top piece on. I plan to cut the vinyl to fit and use new foam tape to secure as they were originally done.

By the way, I've been real pleased with the "Rust-oleum Paint for Plastic." It has adhered well to the vinyl and vinylclad walls. Plan to paint the bathroom counter tops and shower surround with Por-15 Whitecote.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Talking

I like the way the trim looks! I too found some trim @ Home depot, it is a very tough, foam filled vinyl, that I cut down to 1-1/8". The only trouble is it does not turn a corner with out bunching up and popping out if the slot. I was able to use that in the living area.

Still looking for some to fit the Bath. I'll be stopping by to check out what you used. Is it flexible enough to make the corners?
I painted our bath with Por 15 Whitecoat and could not be happier. If you’d' like to see how yours will look check out

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/DSC02361.jpg

The whole project, so far can be found @
http://www.balrgn.com/
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #16
Airstream Newbie

1974 25' Tradewind
Murphy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I like the way the trim looks! I too found some trim @ Home depot, it is a very tough, foam filled vinyl, that I cut down to 1-1/8". The only trouble is it does not turn a corner with out bunching up and popping out if the slot. I was able to use that in the living area.

Still looking for some to fit the Bath. I'll be stopping by to check out what you used. Is it flexible enough to make the corners?
I painted our bath with Por 15 Whitecoat and could not be happier. If you’d' like to see how yours will look check out

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/DSC02361.jpg

The whole project, so far can be found @
http://www.balrgn.com/
The vertical blinds are very flexible and it makes for a good fit in the aluminum trim. Nice part about using vertical blinds is that you can literally find hundreds of colors and textures to match your interior. 80" also fits most interior trim runs in the Airstream.

Nice site! I've also started posting pictures of our restoration at http://www.texpharm.com/cgi-bin/igal...ream+Tradewind
Old 02-15-2005, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Great pics! Looks like you went down the same path as we did. Including the seat damage in the shower. I found our damage when I took it out, the area was so thin from the factory we used a POR 2 part epoxy to make the repair. I'll be checking out the blinds this week! Thanks for the tip.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
mwmoss.

The "insert nosing" is still available.

That's the material that's in the molding just below your rear window.

It's our part number 71411. You can see a photo of it in our web site.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Don't take this wrong but the price for the OEM is cost prohibitive. Looking for an alternate method. What I need needs at least 30'. (plus shipping ) Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #20

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
On Topic....

Hi Andy, We would love your input. What do you use when you need a replacement for the aged trim that was the cause for this thread? Pictures are posted by me above.

Thanks,

Steve