Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #1

Interior curtains - Can you dye them?

I recently purchased a 1985 Sovereign. The trailer is in great shape and still has the original factory curtains. The only problem is that the curtains are a shade of pink that makes me want to gag. Can these curtains be dyed? What material blend are they made of? Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!
airstream97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Dinette in Sovereign

Sorry for not answering you question but I am curious how long your new trailer is and does it have a dinette?

Thanks,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #3

It's a 29' with a dinette.
airstream97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Wife says, just go to Joann Fabrics, and buy new fabric, and make new ones.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:56 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
That is what we have done. The last 2 Airstreams my wife has just made new ones. Almost everyone that trys to wash or immerse the drapes pulls shredded fabric back out of the tub. Or if they stay together they shrink so much they will not go back in.

If you are not handy whith the sewing machine you can also contact James Abruso. He makes replacement curtans that are custom to your year and floorplan. He will send you a sample packet to pick colors at N/C and has a backlog of pending orders.

His Phone # 1-800-813-7686 Email at info@jpadrapes.com

Or www.jpadrapes.com
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I dunno Pick, your wife may be an excellant seamstress but it sounds like a lot of work to make new curtains, if you want them to be like the original ones. I think I would try dyeing them first, you aren't going to lose anything, especially if you end up making or buying new ones. I have ordered new curtains for mine from an outfit in Florida, I don't have them yet but have seen raving reviews on their work. They aren't cheap, but I feel the investment will be worth it.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Jim Abruso Drapes

I had Jim make a complete set of replacement drapes for my A/S earlier this year and they fit and look great.

They also help to keep out the cold morning air!!!

Two Thumbs up for Jim Abruso looks, fit & quality!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I think I would try dyeing them first, you aren't going to lose anything, especially if you end up making or buying new ones.
Sorry Chas, I don't agree...once they are washed, if they shrink they will be useless as patterns to make new...

IF you do decide to wash/dye them...take LOTS of measurements first!!! And let them drip dry...no dryer, the heat will make them shrink even more.

Learn from my mistake ~ I thought I could wash the upholstery covers for our cushions because they were made of "synthetic polyester so they should have been unshrinkable"....NOPE, I was wrong! They shrank up something awful and the unseen (before washing) worn portions became threadbare & shreaded! Unfortunately, I didn't take measurements and had to start from scratch for the new ones.

Here's a link to our webpage for additional cushion information....

Fortunately, I'm a pretty quick study & learned from my upholstery experience before washing the drapes (duh). I used the old drapes as "go by" patterns to make the new drapes. I realize the drape style in your '85 is different than our '64, but I would give it a shot...or order them from Jim Abruso.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I washed the mattress covers and cushion covers when I bought my old airstream. I let them air dry and the cushion covers did not have a problem, but the mattress covers were a different story. They are original and synthetic and after washing would not accomodate the cushion for the mattress. While I did manage to get the firsta mattress in, it was really deformed.
Having said that, I think that instead of the cover shrinking, the cushion has expanded. the reason I say this is that i left the mattress in the cover alone and but it on the bed while i went about cleaning and fixing the rest. well, lo and behold, after a couple of weeks they seem to have reached equilibrium. They are one again.
Any similar experiences?
There has to be a better way of compressing the cushion so that it reexpands to fill the cover perfectly.
It seems I saw somewhere where they used dry cleaning plastic bags and a shop vac to compress and then put the whole thing into the cover and ripped away the plastic so that it accomplished the same thing.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #10

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
I’m looking for a whole new idea for front curtains in our 2014 Flying Cloud. Any ideas out there ... pics? We’re in Canada but will be travelling to USA if the border ever opens so I could buy them or have them made down there. California is our destination for winter 2021-22.
misscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
The new classics are using honeycomb shades only 90-degrees from normal; they slide sideways.

They do this by creating a thin “box” (probably cardboard) that “upholsters” the inner wall and hides the cords that the blinds are drawn on.

I might try similar but with Jo-Ann’s pre-quilted fabric and not so-many pleats as honeycomb. Still deciding.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream97 View Post
I recently purchased a 1985 Sovereign. The trailer is in great shape and still has the original factory curtains. The only problem is that the curtains are a shade of pink that makes me want to gag. Can these curtains be dyed? What material blend are they made of? Any help would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Before you decide on dyeing your curtains, I recommend you watch this video that Long Long Honeymoon (a couple who have been making videos of RVing in their Airsteam for many years) did recently:

https://youtu.be/AQHCZRxKWI8
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

THANKS!
I refer you to LoLo Ho, who just dyed their curtains. Not as easy as first thought, but doable.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
airstream97's post asking about the ability to dye curtains is from 2003. Presumably, they either figured it out, have gotten used to the pink after 17 years, or have moved on from that trailer.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
airstream97's post asking about the ability to dye curtains is from 2003. Presumably, they either figured it out, have gotten used to the pink after 17 years, or have moved on from that trailer.

Tim

Good catch and good point, Tim. However, the forums and these types of threads are often used as reference for many years. Updating the threads with new information keeps them relevant.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:31 AM   #16
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I can't speak to dying older drapes, but in the coming weeks I will be sewing a new set of drapes. We've got a complete set for all but two windows, so hopefully I can extrapolate the measurements.

I will report back how difficult it is.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #17
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Has anyone tried Fabric Spray Paint? Might not come out consistently but you COULD stencil or camo paint!
Old 08-26-2021, 04:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:

THANKS!
I resemble that remark!

I have these pink curtains too, which don't match the decor of my '82 Excella, which is all tan and brown Herculon plaid. The pink curtains have stood the test of time, but they just don't go with anything else in the trailer.

Maybe next year I'll get out the sewing machine and recover the furniture and wall hangings. Somehow I doubt that the fabrics of our time will last as long as the fabrics of the Eighties.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #19
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Some new fabric and a sewing machine would do wonders for this project vs trying to dye or paint the current ones. I will be happy to help you if you decide to go this route.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #20
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
Some new fabric and a sewing machine would do wonders for this project vs trying to dye or paint the current ones. I will be happy to help you if you decide to go this route.
Since I'm on a similar journey - I hope you're correct. One thing for sure though is that the drapes on an AS require much more fabric that you think, especially when including a liner.

Speaking of liners, if you dye the drapes then your liner will be the same color. Not a deal breaker, but it might reduce the ability of the drapes to repel sun.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote