Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Ikea Curtain Tracks Work GREAT!

I was planning on using our Globe Trotter's original curtain tracks and bought plastic curtain carriers from VTS. The plastic curtain tabs from VTS fit the original track fine, but they are so sticky. I tried silicone spray in the track but it did not help very much.

Then I found these curtain tracks at Ikea! The curtain rail is about 5' long and is $5.99, the mounts are $2.50 each. We just screwed the mounts on to the existing curtain track and it works great! The curtain carriers and clip rings are $1.99 each for a package of 25. Such a bargain!

They look great in the Airstream, too! I mounted a curtain rail on the bottom to keep the curtains pulled tight at the bottom on the curved windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	1612
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	185314   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	3132
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	185315  

Name:	047.jpg
Views:	2402
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	185316  
enived2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
That's a great source, and they match really well. I agree, the rails we have are not ideal.

-Kevin
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
Great job and Beautiful Interior!! Love the fabric you chose, thank you for sharing, I hope to be able to use these same rods for my 62 Tradewind!
Mary Burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Beautiful!!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #5

1960 24' Tradewind
Golden , Colorado
I love your fabric also. Any tips on finding fabric
shelecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Thanks! I found the fabric at Joann's, believe it or not! I had a 50% off coupon so it wasn't too expensive. Husband HATED it until he saw the curtains up and now he loves it. We just acquired another vintage camper (65 Holiday Rambler) and I am going to use the same curtain tracks....they are awesome!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That looks nice! Do you have a kitchen window over the sink? What did you do there? Same setup?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Curtains are really nice - but I really like the use of the camp chairs and roll-up aluminum table in the trailer. Easy to move outside when you want, easy to store... leaves plenty of room for a futon on the floor - or a fold out ottoman that converts to a bed... very Zen. Minimalist and flexible. Could make even a tiny trailer feel big.

Is the couch on the end convertible to a bed also?

Paula
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
The curtain for the sink window is a coordinating striped fabric. I also used it to make the roll up blind in the bathroom. Not sure if you can see it well in this picture:

Name:	image-2147280406.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	194467

The folding chairs and table were temporary until we got the sofa bed. They are our outside set now . The couch turns into a queen bed very easily and there is a huge storage compartment under the chaise.

Name:	image-1438493861.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	194468

The pups really like it!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #10

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I like your camper colors, material, floor, countertop.. heck, I guess I LOVE it all!
What is the model name of the Ikea sofa?
Thank you.
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
It is the Friheten. I hate those darn Ikea names! Not sure it still comes in charcoal, but they have several other sleepers that would work. It was so easy to put together inside the camper, and it fits amazingly well.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Ikea makes some nice roller blinds in grey,
Some are solar shades and some for black out.

The couch I got for mine was the Soderhamn.
A deeper cushion contemporary.
I wanted the Friheten but I had to have clearance
For the vertical propane storage compartment under the couch.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
Inspirational! I'm still in the dismantling stage on my old Argosy but lining up repairs and improvements in this early stage. I have the vinyl/plastic fake wood "paper" that I could remove, maybe (seems not to want to budge with a hair drier except where it's already bubbled), or paint over. I see you did paint. What was your process, and materials? Krylon makes a plastic brush on paint now; is that what you used? Again, a very classy interior.
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
The walls are painted. We scrubbed with TSP, rinsed well, primed with Zinnser Primer, then painted. I think it was just Lowes paint. It has been about a year, and the paint is holding up great! The trailer was gutted when we painted it, which made it much easier. The woodwork is all stained a dark ebony. It looks like paint, but it is minwax stain with polyurethane. We had to make all the wood pieces, so we did not have to deal with the original wallpaper or vinyl laminate coating.

So far, so good
Old 10-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
Good job! Yes, the walls don't seem to be a problem to paint. PO had painted the walls with regular latex paint, and who knows how much prep they did, but that paint is holding up beautifully even here in our Florida climate--and it's been 3 years. It's the dreaded vinyl contact "paper" that's driving me nuts. I'm going to try Kryon's brush on Fusion paint for plastic--I have a customer service request in to find out if this paint can be tinted. What wood did you use to replace the original? I've found a birch 3/8" plywood at HomeDepot that will fit, and the cost isn't outrageous ($28 a 4x8 sheet). What material did you install on the floor? Tile or sheet? Once again, you've done a fab job.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
Just spoke with the Krylon representative who cautioned AGAINST using the Fusion brushon plastic paint on the old vinyl, and, yes, you can mix cans of that paint together to alter color but, no, you cannot tint. She recommended using a sealing primer and "all service enamel" (in the teal labeled cans) from Sherman Williams in any color of choice over the primer. Thoroughly clean first, then use a 220 grit sandpaper or finer to lightly de-gloss the surface of the latex contact paper first. Good news!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Good news for you from Krylon! It is always difficult to paint over vinyl, so hopefully, their advice will work well.

We made the cabinetry and walls from beefier 3/4" birch plywood. It added weight, but we removed the oven (went to 2 burner cooktop), and replaced the original fridge with a much lighter dorm style. I think that probably offsets the weight issue. For the floor we used VCT tiles. We got a great deal on them at a local charity do-it-yourself warehouse. I think all the tiles cost $10!! They were a snap to put in and are wearing very well.

This post from our blog shows more of the build out on our Globe Trotter:
We are still here!!!! | projectmidge

Good luck with your project! Would love to see some pictures!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Looks great!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Do I see two standard dachsies on the bed?!

We have one too. You have very good taste

Do yours hit the road with you?
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
I was planning on using our Globe Trotter's original curtain tracks and bought plastic curtain carriers from VTS. The plastic curtain tabs from VTS fit the original track fine, but they are so sticky. I tried silicone spray in the track but it did not help very much.

Then I found these curtain tracks at Ikea! The curtain rail is about 5' long and is $5.99, the mounts are $2.50 each. We just screwed the mounts on to the existing curtain track and it works great! The curtain carriers and clip rings are $1.99 each for a package of 25. Such a bargain!

They look great in the Airstream, too! I mounted a curtain rail on the bottom to keep the curtains pulled tight at the bottom on the curved windows.
I picked up a couple of the mounts at IKEA this weekend. I see the mounts are secured to a wall via a single screw. I guess you'd use an anchor to hold them firmly into the wall/drywall in a home. But how does it hold into the thin aluminum interior of the Airstream? I'd think they'd pull loose easily.
How did you affix the mounts to the wall and are they holding tight?

Also, you mention using them on the curved window. Do you mean the front window? I only saw corners for the rails at 90 deg angles - an my window is not that tight. How'd you make that work?

Thanks for any reply! I looked at these a couple years ago and could never figure out how to use them....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...nal-48661.html
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote