Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Hey, Bonginator - we have THREE doxies! One is a mini and the other 2 are tweenies. And, yes, they travel with us and LOVE the Airstream! They "helped" with the renovation and feel very comfy in the trailer.

funkill - we screwed the small oval shaped mounts into the existing aluminum curtain track. They hold really well. For the bottom of the windows, we used the same mounts and screwed them into the wall on the bottom to hold the curtains snug against the window. Does that make sense? They hold firmly in the wall. The curved windows I am talking about are the side windows, they have a slight curve top to bottom. I will see if I can find pictures of them. They are awesome!

We just got back from our last trip of the season. We took Midge to Nebraska for Thanksgiving at my brothers house. It was so nice having a place for the dogs and my husband to retreat to when the crowd got to be too much for them
Old 01-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Hi, I just stumbled on your posts while I was looking for ideas for window treatments. Your interior reno is almost identical to mine! We also redid the wood (original was warped, water damaged) and we redid with 3/8 inch plywood, stained ebony! I LOVE the look, but I mixed mine with all cream upholstery and silver accents. Question: we are finishing up and down to the window treatments. I'm ready to put this project to bed and we have put up the original curtain tracks. I was thinking some kind of blind for minimal privacy, and black out curtains for the sun, or vice versa. I can't figure out where to start. I'd like to leave the original tracks there, since they're in, but can't figure out the rest. How did you solve this? I don't mean to hijack your thread, hoping you or the other posters could guide me. Are the original tracks that bad?
sarasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Evansville , Indiana
Sorry, we can't be more helpful, we just aren't that far along yet. We have been looking at some silver mini blinds Home Depot, but we aren't sure exactly what we will use yet. Will be interested to hear any others' advice...
WesAndSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Beautiful interiors!! Very cool.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I just got the ikea tracks for my overlander, I think they are going to work well... Don't like the original " sticky" slides!
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Sarasafari, we did not put blinds up. The curtains are lined with black out lining. I have seen several pictures of mini blinds and they look great! I think silver ones can be ordered from Home Depot. As for the original curtain track....I tried to use it, and bought new curtain clips from VTS. I sprayed the curtain track with lubricant, but it did not help. The clips stick really bad and it was almost impossible to open and close the curtains without a LOT of effort. The Ikea tracks work great. We attached them to the original tracks and they match really well.

Would love to see pictures of your Safari! I love the ebony stain, too
Old 01-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAndSteph View Post
Sorry, we can't be more helpful, we just aren't that far along yet. We have been looking at some silver mini blinds Home Depot, but we aren't sure exactly what we will use yet. Will be interested to hear any others' advice...
I installed cellular blinds and we are happy with them. See Dan's '66 Tradewind Improvements, post #55.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To each his own, however I've had the silver mini-blinds and found that they were a bit of a pain in the neck to keep clean. Silver does hide dust better than white, but I still had to get a special little "finger brush" that fit between the slats and clean five or six blinds - five slats at a time. Plus I ended up washing the darned things two or three times a year - which in a house can be done over the bathtub, but in a fulltimer's trailer - ack!

I have the Eddie Bauer now, and I really like the rollup blinds. they aren't cheap though. They DO hug the wall a bit closer than the blinds, but there is still a small gap on the sides which worries some people. If I'm in a tight campground, I simply lay a dowel rod over the top of the window operators, which snugs up the blind quite nicely.

Paula
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
I'm in the midst of sewing curtains for the Argosy and I find that new replacements for the original little white slides that are attached to elastic work very well. The old ones were a nightmare to move in the track--not so the new ones. Wonder how long before the new ones act the same way as the old, due to degradation/wear of the plastic? For the moment we're pleased with the function and look. When the tools are cleared out of the interior and the curtains completed, I'll post some photos. Hopefully, soon!
Now at the getting much prettier stage!
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Ikea Curtain Tracks Work GREAT!

enived2
Sounds like yours works well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
I wanted more color in my AS. Replaced the white curtains with these. I used silver insulated fabric for the lining to keep the Texas heat out as much as possible. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392673228.378123.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	205820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1392673275.386640.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	205821
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
where did you get your replacement slides that are working carolinda? thanks katie
artmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Oh, Aggie, what gorgeous pieces!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Frostproof , Florida
I bought the slides from Vintage Trailer Supply, vintagetrailersupply.com. They come already equipped with the stiff elastic gizzies to sew onto curtains. When I sewed them on, I did so individually, about 2" to 2 1/2" apart along the already gathered or pleated length, back and forward stitching a total of three times. Twice didn't hold on one and had to take down and re-sew.
Now at the getting much prettier stage!
Carolinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
Thanks Skatiero. We've sine replaced the international with an Eddie Bauer. Not sure what I'm going to do about or with the curtains.
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by enived2 View Post
I was planning on using our Globe Trotter's original curtain tracks and bought plastic curtain carriers from VTS. The plastic curtain tabs from VTS fit the original track fine, but they are so sticky. I tried silicone spray in the track but it did not help very much.

Then I found these curtain tracks at Ikea! The curtain rail is about 5' long and is $5.99, the mounts are $2.50 each. We just screwed the mounts on to the existing curtain track and it works great! The curtain carriers and clip rings are $1.99 each for a package of 25. Such a bargain!

They look great in the Airstream, too! I mounted a curtain rail on the bottom to keep the curtains pulled tight at the bottom on the curved windows.
I really like this idea, but I'm confused on the last sentence. I have the same problem with my side windows having a slight curve from top to bottom and I'd love to see how you keep the curtain close to the wall. A picture would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Enived2, lovely work on the old Globtrotter.

My own use of much IKEA - bath, kitchen , wardrobe - can be seen on the link below:
Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #38

1994 25' Excella
Chicago , Illinois
I really like everything you've done, curtains, sofa. I'm wondering about the walls. We have a 74 Excelsior with the original paneling, dark and drab. What did you put on your walls?
Thanks.
Peg
outdoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #39

1974 31' Sovereign
Bastrop , Texas
IKEA Product Name

hi there! new to the thread — realize it’s an old post, but does anyone know the name of these IKEA track systems? I’m searching but don’t see anything similar. Hoping they haven’t discontinued since this original post. Thanks in advance!
ravanneleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravanneleigh View Post
hi there! new to the thread — realize it’s an old post, but does anyone know the name of these IKEA track systems? I’m searching but don’t see anything similar. Hoping they haven’t discontinued since this original post. Thanks in advance!

I bought enough to do my Overlander, but didn’t end up using them. I still have tracks and hardware that I would sell! PM me
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote