Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Ideas on finishing damaged ceiling

We have a 68 overlander that had fire damage on the ceiling. The ceiling plastic has peeled off in places and there is metal underneath. It is only in the area above the sink. (PO used a portable heater which got too close to flammables.) Any ideas about how to finish the ceiling? I'm thinking I'll use some kind of stripper and cleaning the whole kitchen area and then recovering with some kind of wall paper. Has anyone ever done that? Thanks for any insight.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Zolatone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie
We have a 68 overlander that had fire damage on the ceiling. The ceiling plastic has peeled off in places and there is metal underneath. It is only in the area above the sink. (PO used a portable heater which got too close to flammables.) Any ideas about how to finish the ceiling? I'm thinking I'll use some kind of stripper and cleaning the whole kitchen area and then recovering with some kind of wall paper. Has anyone ever done that? Thanks for any insight.
If you are up to the elbow grease, you may be able to strip the rest of the visible plastic coating off the aluminum and paint the ceiling with Zolatone, a textured paint available in several different flavors. I would really, really, REALLY want to take down that panel, and make sure there is no damage to the insulation or wiring in that area of the ceiling. Good luck with it, show us photos if you have a digital camera. It will be easier to make an evaluation with visual aids.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input. I didn't think there might be hidden damage. We have yet to test all appliances and electrics. Where do you get zolatone and isn't it hard to apply? I was thinking of putting up some kind of wall paper. I'm not sure how that would attach either. I have some pictures but will try to get them up another day. They show the damage after a simple cleaning.
tinsltootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie
Thanks for the input. I didn't think there might be hidden damage. We have yet to test all appliances and electrics. Where do you get zolatone and isn't it hard to apply? I was thinking of putting up some kind of wall paper. I'm not sure how that would attach either. I have some pictures but will try to get them up another day. They show the damage after a simple cleaning.
Zolatone is not that hard to apply, it just takes some practice and patience. A quick search for Zolatone either here on the forum or on the internet, should give you results of Zolatone for sale.
There are quite a few wires up in the ceiling that could have had their insulation melted by the heat from the fire. It would be a very good idea to check for heat and fire damage in that area of the ceiling before trying to operate any equipment at or in front of that spot.