Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I never liked those curtains...

The previous owner of my Argosy made curtains for it... I'll just say they were NOT my favorite thing about the trailer. Thin, washed-out pattern that I probably wouldn't like if it were vibrant...

I knew the front curtains were always fiddly and hard to open and close, but I didn't realize until the sliders starting breaking off (making the curtains look REALLY shabby!) that they used the wrong sliders on the front. They used "T" sliders throughout the trailer, but the front curtains need the "G" sliders.

There was always something else to spend money on, because I wanted the "authentic" curtains that cost a pretty penny so I always put it off. When I bought Il Progetto (the 28' center-bath '76) I thought I'd squeak by with the old curtains and spend my money on new ones for the 28', but that's gone WAY slower than I thought it would. So, when last Christmas rolled around Mom wanted to get me something and I would rather she saved her money... and remembered that she's been sewing since she was a little girl. So, I bought some fabric she thought would do well for the curtains and (after a few bumps in the road) Mom got her sewing machine limbered up and I have new curtains.

So you can really see the difference, here's old and new in the process:

And now the full effect (just ignore the other clutter):

They're not perfect... they're not pleated and starchy to hold their shape like the "classic" ones do but it's such a vast improvement it would be churlish to dwell on that. They even look cool from outside!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Much better!!!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
What a vast improvement...your mother did a wonderful job. The colors are much more complimentary and contrast nicely with the wood tones.

Some throw pillows and dish towels and pot holders to blend and maybe a rug at the door would look nice.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Your new drapes look great! Looks like your Mom does a very nice of sewing.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
David,

They look very good. Now get the Krylon paint for plastics out and get the old yellow headliner painted, and the yellowed tambour doors.

I know, push, push, push. But when they are painted all nice and white, you will like your new curtains even more.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
David,

They look very good. Now get the Krylon paint for plastics out and get the old yellow headliner painted, and the yellowed tambour doors.

I know, push, push, push. But when they are painted all nice and white, you will like your new curtains even more.
I'm still hoping to leave spray-painting the endcaps for the next owner. I'll be doing that on the 28' while it's gutted, after the subfloor, axles and usefully-sized gray tanks are in and if it turns out to be less horrible than I expect maybe I'll do it to the 24' to make it more appealing to the buyers. Indoor spraypainting isn't my idea of a good time!

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79nTOW View Post
What a vast improvement...your mother did a wonderful job. The colors are much more complimentary and contrast nicely with the wood tones.

Some throw pillows and dish towels and pot holders to blend and maybe a rug at the door would look nice.

Predeta
I knew it would be a big improvement when I selected the fabric, and even so I'm surprised at the contrast between old and new. It was a nice feeling to shove the ratty old ones in the trash when I was done! We have some extra fabric (it was on sale so I bought plenty) and Mom mentioned making some throw pillows. The new curtains also go better with the throw pillows I already have than the old ones did (you can see one of them in the 3rd photo, on the lower right.)

Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

We opted for Levolors in our 73 Argosy.
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleosdad View Post

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

We opted for Levolors in our 73 Argosy.
That's a nice installation especially on the sides where the bottom of the blind is attached to the lower curtain rail.

I'm considering putting a mini-blind at the galley window, or perhaps one of those OceanAir shades used in some newer Airstreams.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Love the choice of fabric and your mom did a FANTASTIC JOB!

I like the blinds too. You can keep your privacy and still let in the breeze. My boyfriend hates blinds. *sigh*
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Love the choice of fabric and your mom did a FANTASTIC JOB!

I like the blinds too. You can keep your privacy and still let in the breeze. My boyfriend hates blinds. *sigh*
I'm not sure I'd like blinds in a motorhome... clicking and rattling down the road! In the trailer where I don't have to hear them while traveling it might be OK though.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Friends ditched the curtains, bought plain aluminum blinds and put a string of blue LEDs above each blind. Along with the addition of some aluminum sheeting behind the dinette to match the counter area, the Safari "Looks Marvelous!"
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Stylin'

VERY nice! I like the pattern, it is modern yet with a retro look that goes very well with the classic AS style.

No clue what you mean by T and G mounts. Do you have a source or pics? We have plain white and my daughter is an interior designer - I'm seeing a project in her future!!
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
VERY nice! I like the pattern, it is modern yet with a retro look that goes very well with the classic AS style.

No clue what you mean by T and G mounts. Do you have a source or pics? We have plain white and my daughter is an interior designer - I'm seeing a project in her future!!
I can't say whether your modern tracks are exactly the same as my 70s ones or not. On my '70s trailer, the wrap-around front windows have curtain track with the slot in the track facing horizontally into the trailer, and take a "G-slider" to fit in properly and last a while with the force of the curtain's weight and motion on it:

The curtains along the sides of my trailer have tracks with slots that open vertically, and they take a T-slider:

The T-sliders will fit into the track that needs the G-slider (the opposite is *NOT* true!) but they won't last as long because the force from the curtains and elastic is always trying to snap the little elastic bracket off.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
mpsgolf: By the way, I bought my sliders at Vintage Trailer Supply... I found the T-sliders at several sources, but VTS was the first place I came across the G-sliders and I already had a login setup with them.