Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Clovis , California
Help with cushions please

Hi I am restoring our new-to-me 1981 Excella II. I am not unfamiliar with fabrics and re-upholstering things, but I'd love some advice on the actual cushions. The full size gaucho will be the primary bed for a couple; my husband is 6'4' and a big guy. The frame is in good shape; the PO had the entire thing done in red leather - not my taste. (I am probably going to go for a fawn colored leather or ultra suede myself.) I understand doing the accessory pieces - triangle arms, L-shaped pieces, and front pull-out bar, but on the actual big cushion - the PO had a single piece with three deep seams making four full, hard sections. This gives a sporty look to the sofa when folded up and is uncomfortable to lie on when open. What is the most luxuriously comfortable cushion set-up others have used for this to be the primary bed on a long trip? Does a futon stay folded on a gaucho?? (Money is not an issue on this one important purchase.) Any help would be appreciated so I know what I am talking about when I call around to get someone to make it for me.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are various options for dealing with your question.

One is to use a memory foam topper. Thickness and density will be a function of your body types. They generally stay in place while sleeping.

Another is to change the core foam in the cushions. Below are links to an explanation about foam types and use. Again, body type and weight is a key factor in selection.
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/i...t-and-firmness
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/seatcu...foamtypes.html

A third element may be the support structure in your gaucho. Some designs use springs (rather than solid deck/platforms) which can become stretched, broken, or need additional cross ties/springs to support larger weights.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Obviously 2 cushions one back and one sitting hinged together. Each being one continuous cushion, i.e not divided to appear like 4 cushions. Velcro sewn onto the back of the cushions and applied to the bottom and rear supports can keep it from sliding around. I used regular supportive upholstery foam (can't remember the exact weight)for the bottom 3" and then had 3" of 40# memory foam for sleep support and comfort.
Leather is nice but doesn't breathe so it can make for a clammy hot sleep surface. Consider a nice upholstery fabric. Since its zipped on you can pull it off and hand wash in a tub once or twice a year. You can use black outdoor nylon fabric for the non visible bottom and back and end pieces to keep cost in check for nice fabric, and provide a higher wear resistance where the cushions will rub on the hard surfaces.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Clovis , California
Thank you very much for some great advice.
LisaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
I'm not sure if your gaucho is the same as my 77 Argosy 28 motorhome, but you can read about my easy conversion to a comfortable gaucho/full size bed here: 1977 Argosy 28 MH front gaucho now converts to comfy double bed http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153582

I am very happy with my conversion uses a full size foam mattress (from Amazon) that included a 2" memory foam top. I used a faux sheep skin fabric for the mattress for comfort and to match my driving/passenger seat covers.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Before you commit to the idea that money is not an issue, talk to a few upholstery shops if you have not done so already. You might be shocked at how crazy expensive good foam, fabric, and labor will be. We had a few cushions for our Airstream redone and the price was shocking. One lesson: I wish we would have gotten firmer, higher quality foam in addition to getting new covers. While it seems expensive, the lower grade foam is like throwing your money away if you plan to use the trailer a lot as it just doesn't last. Memory foam would be another good consideration for a sleeping surface.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
I found "cushionsxpress" on Amazon,To do a set of dinette cushions.I would NOT recommend using them.It took 6 weeks and they showed up in the wrong color !.Plus the quality is terrible.And customer service is soo bad.....
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Manitou Springs , Colorado
Where you and your trailer meet.

IMO, your gaucho is one of the most important ,yet sometimes overlooked item in your rig. Its variable, but some of us spend a good bit of time sitting and thinking, And sometimes just sitting. (Couldn't resist!) Fhen there's the sleep thing, Hopefully we all spend lots of time in peaceful repose. I believe the dollars invested in new medium density foam, 4" thick at least, under the most comfortable and durable fabric you can find, are dollars well spent. Leave the color and pattern choices to the ladies, gentlemen. When I fold my 1 1/2 inch memory into thirds length-wise, it fits behind the back cushion. A set of high-thread-count linens, and its as good as it gets. ( Be sure to buy 2 sets of linens) Snooze on!! Don, Melody, Rocky and Phoebe '72 Argosy 20, '06 Tacoma
Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote