Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Question Help with 1975 Argosy curtain question!

My husband and I just bought a lovely 1975 24-foot Argosy with rear bathroom and twin beds. It is in very nice condition. I do want to replace the curtains however. It is evident that the front panorama window still has the top and bottom channels for the clips, so I just need to get someone to make those. What I am wondering about (and am hoping someone can help me) is the two windows at the bedroom end. I am only seeing one curtain channel at the top of the window. My question is: did these windows have a lower channel for curtains or did the curtains just hang from the top? I can't see any evidence that there was ever a channel below the window, but the curtains hang so far away from the wall because of the curve that I can't believe they weren't more "fitted" to the wall. Anyone out there have a similar Argosy that might be able to help? Any solutions that you've used would be appreciated. I'm not opposed to Roman shades, blinds or some other kind of window treatment.
bookstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Centerville , Indiana
The twin beds had a aluminum shelf with the slot in them to fasten the curtains in the slot. The shelf is riveted to the wall. You use the same type curtain carrier in it as you do on the top track.
hookshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help with 1975 Argosy curtain question!

Greetings Bookstax!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

There is an option if your coach is missing the aluminum lower shelf/track. Prior to the use of this method, Airstreams used a combination of elastic straps and snaps to hold the drapes closer to the wall. This method consisted of:
  • On the outer (vertical) edges of the window or window pair, snaps were utilized to secure the outer edges of the drapes to the wall.
  • Where two drapery panels join, a snap or pair of snaps were often utilized to secure the panels together.
  • The elastic was sewn into the lower edge or hem of the drapes, and when combined with the snaps between panels did a good job of holding the drapes against the wall.
When the drapes in my Overlander were re-done about seven years ago, the elastic was left out and the drapes were lengthened about three or four inches. This additional length maintains privacy while allowing the drapes to control light even if the drapes aren't tight against the wall. The decorator who made my drapes utilized several velcro tabs between drapery panels to secure them together, and this has worked out quite well.

Good luck with your drapery project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I am saving for curtains for my 1973 Argosy

Drapes For Airstream and Argosy Trailers

This is the link to Ambrusco. They do nothing but make curtains for Airstreams
You need to tell them year, model number, type of clips, and choice of fabric.
They sent me samples of fabric. Price varies on models. A few years ago my curtains for my 20' was about $300 ?? Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thank you all for the quick response. The shelf mentioned is missing from our model, so I'll have to improvise. I've e-mailed Ambrusco as well as Silver Threads. Tammy from ST has responded and has dealt with this issue before. I like getting to pick my own fabric! I appreciate all the help! This was my first (but likely not my last) post! What a great forum!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
Just a follow-up. I filled out the Ambrusco form for additional information and did receive a confirmation email letting me know that information was going to be mailed to me. That email said to let them know if their information had not gotten to me in a week. I gave it almost two weeks and then emailed. Now, it has been over three weeks, still no info! I'm assuming they are still in business-- given the confirmation email. Either way, Tammy at Silver Threads was super responsive, so I'd try her first!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Manitou Springs , Colorado
Hello, all. In my '72 Argosy 20 , at the same level as the top edge of the panoramic window and at either end is a 14" or so length of what seems to be curtain track fastened to the walls. Was this part of a system to provide privacy by means of an interior curtain to those sleeping in the front gaucho? I'm pretty imaginative, but this has me stumped. Don
Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
In our '76 AS the front curtains covered the whole wall and window area with an opening un the middle. If you opened the curtains so the front window was exposed the wall area was covered. Same basic idea in the sleeping area behind the kitchen. I think part of the reason was hiding the wall seams.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote