Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Has any one just removed....

Has anyone ever removed the side curtains and tracks in the front living area?

We have 2 large windows on the street side (that open) and one fixed window on the curb side. The curtains make it hard to access the windows and I would like to have the other 2.5 or so inches of “counter” space that the removal would allow on the tables just below the windows. I am talking about removing the lower curtain holder thing also (you know...the weird tray you get at the inside of the curtains).

Have you had any regrets about the removal and what did you put in the place of the curtains. I am thinking that the mini blinds would have to go and a day/night shade put in its place.

Does the rig look naked without the curtains. Have you been happy with your choice?

I also have these useless cloth strips on each side of the kitchen window that someone calls curtains. Who in the world thought up that design??? All they do is hold grease and dirt and they are coming out..no questions asked.
tyndalelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi

Gee, looked at a CCD lately? Mine has the standard window blinds, but you can get an upgrade to mini blinds (or the really narrow micro blinds with slats about a centimeter wide). I really don't see why they make such elaborate window treatments for a trailer, and hey it's YOUR A/S. Go for it, but save whatever you take out for 3 months in case you change your mind.

I've tried out upgrading one of my window blinds to silver lame... but it clashes with the aluminum and was way too fragile. I will end up with a more elegant fabric on my rollers, but I'll wait for the big "eureka" when inspiration hits.

I do have a comment about mini blinds..... they are damn dust collectors and my CCD seems to get dusty awfully fast. I wouldn't have one NEAR a kitchen because it would become a grease encrusted horror and have to be taken down and scrubbed every two weeks.

I can vacuum and dust my whole trailer in 10 minutes, but having miniblinds would double that. (Man that does sound lazy doesn't it?)

Here's an idea I toyed with for winterization - but it's turned out so mild (so far) that I haven't needed to do it. Take a piece of 1/2 inch foam and cut it to shape the window, then cover it on both sides with the fabric of your choice, but sew on two side tabs about 1 1/2 inch long on each side, positioning them to be even with the little fuzzy tracks the window openers use. Hold it over the window and tuck in the tabs into the track with a dull dinner knife or spatula. Voila, insulated window covers and total privacy.

Oh, and you could use them as padded placemats on the table too. (No I don't drink late at night, I'm JPN - just plain nuts.)

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Uh...no I have never seen a ccd. If there is one around here I dont know it and would not have had time lately to see one. sigh...

I will see if I can find some photos though.

I currently have baby blue mini blinds behind these drapes. That is why I have not removed the drapes yet. I am working on eradicating the blue from this baby. There is alot of it.

I already have refletix cut for all the windows. I had not thought of covering them with fabric....hmmmm. now to find a fabric.

Thanks

Missy
tyndalelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
We Did It

Hi Missy,

We removed the factory curtains and rods and replaced them with custom curtains and silver micro blinds. We are very happy with the results. Crafting the curtain rods was a challenge because of the contour of the trailer. I ended up using a brake line bending tool to carefully bend aluminum rods to fit the shape.

Good Luck!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	17920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	17921  

Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To see a CCD

Take the virtual tours at www.airstream.com It's quick.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote