Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
xxxx , Delaware
'Green' cleaner for vinyl ceiling/walls

Has anyone used a green cleaner that will take the sticky residue off the vinyl ceiling? I haven't tried anything yet for my 76 tradewind and i fear buying too many cleaners to find one that works. I prefer not to use strong chemicals if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.
~M
merrypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I don't know how "green" it is, but Purple Max cleaner from Wal-mart sprayed full strength on a rag and then followed with a rag wet with rinse water will clean the walls in one pass.

It is degreaser, located in the automobile section.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
vinyl cleaner

I have always had good luck with mequiar's automotive cleaners and use their vinyl cleaner and conditioner every two years. Not sure about being a green product. I have also had really good luck with Awsome products for cleaning and removing grease. You can find their products at Dollar Tree or Dollar General for $1. Their label says non-toxic and biodegradable.

LA's Totally Awesome Products - All Purpose Cleaner
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Boring , Oregon
Merrypaws did you ever find a green cleaner that worked? I am going to be repainting the interior walls & ceiling. I too want to avoid synthetic chemicals.
greenkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this product on this thread or not so I apologize if they have.

The product I'm talking about is Plexus protector and polish. I use it on the plexiglass wrap around protectors on my Bambi. Just spray it on, work it around with a cloth and wipe it off with a micro fiber cloth and it takes out all the small scratches and swirl marks. I think it's an amazing product - 17.95 on Amazon. If you haven't tried it you should. I have no affiliation to this stuff... But I love it.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
xxxx , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkids View Post
Merrypaws did you ever find a green cleaner that worked? I am going to be repainting the interior walls & ceiling. I too want to avoid synthetic chemicals.

Yes I did find one that I was happy with. I can't remember who suggested it to me (and I don't see it on this thread...)

I used Krud Kutter.
http://www.krudkutter.com/index.php?...id=4&Itemid=62
It's a degreaser, they tout 'environmentally friendly' and the smell wasn't overwhelming. My vinyl is no longer sticky! It did seem to leave a tiny bit of cleaning residue, so I just went over it again with a vinegar/borax/water solution to give it a final wipe down.

You said you are painting... Are you painting the vinyl? I would love to paint but mine is textured so not sure it can be done? What paint are you using?
merrypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I don't know how "green" it is, but Purple Max cleaner from Wal-mart sprayed full strength on a rag and then followed with a rag wet with rinse water will clean the walls in one pass.

It is degreaser, located in the automobile section.

Regards,

JD
Two things are needed to clean the walls,

1. A very good non toxic cleaner.

2. Lots and lots of elbow grease.

Then, prior to painting, the vinyl material must be sanded, not scuffed but sanded.

If not done properly or adequately, the paint will peel in short order.

Sanding with 120 to 150 grit sand paper is an absolute must, OR ELSE.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Boring , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrypaws View Post
You said you are painting... Are you painting the vinyl? I would love to paint but mine is textured so not sure it can be done? What paint are you using?
I haven't even started on that yet, I am hoping that recycled paint will work as I can get that locally but I'll have to do some research there. I am also going to look into textured wall paper that you can paint.
greenkids is offline   Reply With Quote