Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Roswell , Georgia
Gaucho upholstery yardage estimates

We are reupholstering the gaucho in our '89 Excella and have been getting quotes from upholsterers. I send them a pdf with the attached photos (below). The estimates I have gotten (for solid or small repeat fabric) range from 12 yards to 21 yards. At $25 to $100+ per yard, that difference is significant.

Has anyone out there done this and recall how many yards of material they used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaucho.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	164856   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	164857  

Name:	armrest.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	164858   Click image for larger version

Name:	armRestSupport.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	164859  

Name:	drawer.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	164860  
trearick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Your gaucho cushions look different than mine. Mine was a single piece that folds in half like a futon mattress. None the less, yardage should be about the same as when I reupholstered mine.

First off I used a standard futon cover and zipped the cushion up in that. For the rest of the job I used a throw cover for a sofa, made of the same material. Don't remember the dimensions but its easy enough to figure out. I'd think that two throw covers would be enough to make new covers for your cushions.

I cut the throw cover as needed to wrap the arm rest bases and the trim board on the front edge of seat, stapling on the back sides. You have to remove these pieces first, but the job goes fast since you can leave the original cloth in place.

The arm rest cushions took the most effort. Again, cutting pieces to wrap and staple on the bottom with a bit of hand sewing on the front and rear corners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS living room.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	165764  
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by trearick View Post
I was so appalled at the quote I got from an upholstery shop that I decided to do it myself.

I ordered 7 yards of ultraleather and reupholstered the entire sofa and I did the seat TWICE. Your style is a bit different, but 12 to 21 yards still seems like a lot.

You can follow that story here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1100425
Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I just got an estimate on a Gaucho...14 yards and I have always used Newtoto for my materials , questions and estimates..Discount Upholstery Fabric, Drapery Fabrics, & Fabric Remnants Online at NewToto.com
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
We recently reupholstered our gaucho and dinette (and valances, plus covered some throw pillows). If memory serves correctly, the lady estimated 12 yards fabric each for the gaucho and dinette and suggest we order a little extra. We ordered 30 yards and I would estimate, we probably have 5 or 6 yards left over.
We used a compatible fabric pattern for the valances and pillows and the back side of the dinette.
We also purchased the fabric from newtotostores.com at very good prices.
It turned out very nice - like a new paint job in the home!
tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
We had our gaucho redone and I got 10 yards of fabric to be safe and I have a lot left over. I estimate it took about 8 yards but I always get extra. I can always make pillows and you never know when you might need to make repairs!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Upholstery Yardage Estimator

Some of those estimates are way low.....for the six cushion, fully upholstered, fold out couch. For the smaller two long cushion, older Gauchos (like in a nearly Caravel) maybe it would work. see this estimater.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by trearick View Post
We are reupholstering the gaucho in our '89 Excella and have been getting quotes from upholsterers. I send them a pdf with the attached photos (below). The estimates I have gotten (for solid or small repeat fabric) range from 12 yards to 21 yards. At $25 to $100+ per yard, that difference is significant.

We had ours done in 2011 it is the same style as yours . You should replace the foam cushions as well we did and it was less than $900. Also get a fabric with a high rub number it will wear longer and have it scotch guarded . I don't remember how many yds. it took I can't locate my receipt . Les Grace wbcci #14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
We had ours done in 2011 it is the same style as yours . You should replace the foam cushions as well we did and it was less than $900. Also get a fabric with a high rub number it will wear longer and have it scotch guarded . I don't remember how many yds. it took I can't locate my receipt . Les Grace wbcci #14183
I just located my receipt he used 9 1/4 yds and I have some left over he didn't do the storage bins under the arm rests they had carpet on them that matched the walls.He replaced the buttons just like the origional .Fabric was $43.00 a yd. total was $829.25 with tax .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
I recently had two gouchos covered. I supplied the material 10 yds) at 15/yd from 'JoAnns'.
The labor charged for both gouchos including 2 zippers on each unit was 270.00 from an uphostery shop. I should add that I received quotes ranging from 1200.00 to 2400.00 with a material est of 10 to 12 yds starting at 30/yd not included.
Keep shopping.
Paul
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Roswell , Georgia
The End of the Story

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions in response to my initial posting. Here is the rest of the story...

We got several quotes and went with the least expensive and the only guy that had actually done a gaucho before. His work cost $450. We found commercial grade fabric and provided 14 yards of it to him. There was a yard or two left over. We are very happy with his work. His name is Ken Holmes (holmk7@aol.com) and he is 90 minutes outside of Atlanta near Madison, GA. Drive a little and save a lot.

The picture (attached) shows the final result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	goucho.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	168849  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, what a great job! His work looks very good. Congrats!

May I ask how much the fabric cost, and did you have to change out the cushion "mattress" material?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Roswell , Georgia
Cost & Cushions

I think the fabric was around $30/yard but it has been deeply discounted. It is commercial quality and should last a long time.

We had several upholsterers tell us that the cushions were in good shape. They are original 1989 cushions. New foam is very expensive so we did not replace it. It is very tight and firm.