Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
funky smell identified

Our Argosy had a slightly funky smell that I couldn't identify, until one day I realized, after thoroughly cleaning her, that what I smelled was the odor of old vinyl--kind of like the smell that very old Tupperware gets.....sure enough, I stuck my nose on the vinyl clad walls and there it was. Even after cleaning them with Clorox clean-up, it was still there. So I got out the trusty Future floor wax yesterday, before I went to all the work of ripping it all off, and coated them well, and today I can't smell it. Who knows how long the "fix" will work, but it sure helped! Maybe one day I will rip off all that old vinyl but for now, it's good!
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Good thing it was the old vinyl and not what was in our friends Argosy. Try using Armoral every week or so and it will sink into the vinyl and not only give you a rich shine but destroy some of the smell at the same time.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I would recommend LEATHERIQUE, as there is nothing better on leather and vinyl in my experience. It is an easy two-part process that the summer heat will only help. The Rolls-Royce guys got everyone turned on to this some years ago.

Leatherique
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Good thing it was the old vinyl and not what was in our friends Argosy. Try using Armoral every week or so and it will sink into the vinyl and not only give you a rich shine but destroy some of the smell at the same time.
should I ask what the smell was? If the smell comes back I may try the Armoral, but some of the vinyl is coming loose in spots, and I may just rip it all off and paint the walls. It is already gone inside the bathroom, the PO started it and I finished it. As soon as it stops raining I am going to paint it, I already primed it but there is too much moisture in the air to paint now. Does anybody know how to get the loose spots to stick again? Would heat do it?
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote