Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Question Front curtain rod?

Arched curtain rods plus oval octagon and circular windows kit to 92"

I found this and was wondering what some of you more experienced airstreamers might think of it. I was wondering about using it in the front window behind the gaucho?
Thanks, Crystal
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I went ahead and ordered it. we will see how it turns out. Worst case, I'll just send it back.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Will look forward to hearing your installation trials! I was thinking about your post and wonering how you will secure it along the curve so that it doesn't flop down. Please let us know your results - good or bad.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
I ordered 2 of the 4-828 (click on the "detail/color" link below the arch) in hopes that it will hold the ends. then it comes with clear mounting clips. I am hoping that 1 or 2 in the middle will do the trick. If not I'll have to add more and refigure how the curtains hang. I want to be able to push the curtains off to the sides durring the day. It comes with several other items so I am hoping that we can make something work. I want to put as few holes in the interior as possible and will try my best to use the old rivet holes from the tracks.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I was wondering if your new curtain rods worked for you?
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
We got it last week, and are going to try to put it in tomorrow if all goes well. My husband has been out of town on a BMW motorcycle rally trip, and we have a one and 2.5 year old. Needless to say my time has been in high demand...lol. I'll take pics and try to learn how to post them! Our first trip is next saturday so we are hopeful this will work!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
The 2 extra pieces I ordered we will have to adapt. They will need one more 90 degree bend in them to hold the rod at the right angle. Just by looking at the rod I have a couple concerns. One is the type of plastic its made out of. I'm afraid it will work for a few years, but may become hard and brittle. It will be above the window, so it wont get direct light, but I'm afraid the heat may make it brittle and hard over time. We shall see. Also, I can see it not being a problem to put the clips on the ends and one or two in the middle for support. However, we will have to see how the "corners" do. I may have to clip the corners as well. If so that will mean clipping and unclipping them as I need to move the curtains, and possible putting a slit in the back of the curtain where it slides on the rod (similar to a button whole) to allow the clip to slide into to hold the curtain when its closed.....
Still lots to figure out when putting it up, but I'll get back to the forums for an update!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
OK, sorry for the delay in photos, they will have to come later. My camera isn't working correctly now.

I should have ordered a total of 5 of the part # 4-828. My husband ended up being the one to put it in and he had to fabricate 3 more pieces that looked like them using the extra clips that came along. He also used the 2 angles metal pieces that came in the kit. The brackets are all attached from the top, or the bottom of the endcap (Photos will help explain all of this I'm sure).

In regards to fit and look it worked out very nice. In regards to ease of use. I'm sure there are better ideas out there, including what was original.

To move the curtains I have to unclip 4 clips, slide the curtains, and then clip them again. To make the curtains I went to walmart and got some cheap $7 microfiber curtains. 3 of the 54" for the other windows in the "living room" end, and 2 of the 84" for the front end curve. My sewing machine is also on the fritz and it was sometimes a chore to sew the little bit I did. I Also went to Joann fabrics and got the blackout material (i think it was * yards total for all the windows in our 31 footer). I turned all of the curtains on their sides and ran a couple lines in the "new" top to make a rod pocket and attach the blackout material. With the new curtains up it really is almost black. I left a long ruffle at the top to fold over towards the wall where the light comes in and help black that out as well when we are sleeping.

For the side windows I just used low profile (1.5"-1.25" away from wall) that I ordered from the same company. I took out the old roll up blinds and hardware. Instead of screwing things in, we riveted them. No plans to change things again till something wears out. Any holes that were left from the old hardware were plugged up with white rivets as well.

We leave in a day and a half for our first trip of the year, we will be gone just over a week. This should be a good test run for them in regards to travel durability and ease of use.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampUnger View Post
...I left a long ruffle at the top to fold over towards the wall where the light comes in and help black that out as well when we are sleeping.

For the side windows I just used low profile (1.5"-1.25" away from wall) that I ordered from the same company.
Great idea about the extra fabric to turn towards the wall - this gap has been my concern from the start. I guess the arched rod ended up being further out from the wall than the ones you ordered for the side windows.

I'm still contemplating what to use .... anxious to see some pics of your finished product - when your camera is working!

Nice job on adding the blackout - I was too lazy the first time but will add that to my new curtains.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covering, curtain, drapes, rod, window