Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Try here. Twin Foam Mattress Search Results | Overstock.com, Page 1. Free shipping right now. Use an electric carving knife to cut to right size if needed.
I bought 2 of those at Overstock for my 66, they are really comfortable. Borrowed the carving knife and it did the trick.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
i just used a 3 in. foam on top of mattress under the cover, works great,not to high.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Hi Ben, We are redoing an 87 25' er with rear twin beds. I bought an 8" king memory foam matteress from Walmart. After letting it rise to normal thickness for a day, I took one of the platform boards from under the original mattress to use as a template. With a very sharp knife I cut the foam after taking the covers off. We are now having the lady how is recovering our couch make new covers for our two curved end matteresses cut from one. Also if you live near Norwalk Ohio, there is a store there where you can get upolstery @ $4 a yard. Mark
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Mark. Where in Norwalk is that fabric store? (We'd be coming North on SR 13.)

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Foam Mattress

I happen to live 2 miles from the foam factory and stoped in there this morning. I want to get two twin mattress for my 66 Sovereign. I priced out one firm 4" mattress and they quoted me $111.50. I am not sure what shipping is though. The labor to upholster the mattress is $79.00 (with welting) and it would need 6 yards of fabric. Their standard microfiber is $12.99/yd but you can provide your own (find deals on Ebay). I looked into having the matress split, upholstered and then hinged but that would cost $195 in labor (ouch). They also have a standard cover for the mattress for $39. Just providing some info FYI. They were very nice and helpful, LOTS of foam there.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Just saw that shipping is free with orders over $75
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
I bought two of these for our Tradewind. The bed platforms are loose to the cabinet so they slide into the aisle 1-2" to accomodate the mattress, it is a little wider than the foam but I just am not a fan of sleeping on foam.

IKEA | Mattresses | Spring mattresses | SULTAN HARESTUA | Spring mattress
Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
I am a little worried about foam myself because I tried a memory foam mattress pad before and my back was not to happy about it. Are the Ikea mattresses comfortable? BTW the price I was quoted was different than the online price, not sure why.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
IKEA spring mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianv512 View Post
I am a little worried about foam myself because I tried a memory foam mattress pad before and my back was not to happy about it. Are the Ikea mattresses comfortable? BTW the price I was quoted was different than the online price, not sure why.
We were out 35 nights last year and we were happy campers.
They are substantial, I had thought that when you sat on them you would feel/hit the bottom, not the case with these. I suppose you could always top them with 1 or 2" of foam also at a later time. They come rolled up into a tight cellophane and we picked them up right at the store.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
I bought two of these for our Tradewind. The bed platforms are loose to the cabinet so they slide into the aisle 1-2" to accomodate the mattress, it is a little wider than the foam but I just am not a fan of sleeping on foam.

IKEA | Mattresses | Spring mattresses | SULTAN HARESTUA | Spring mattress
wait, so you used standard size twin mattresses? aren't the bunks 6" skinnier than a reg twin?? wouldn't that take a whole foot out the isle between them? Or maybe I need to remeasure my bunks. I thought they were 33" x 79"... and a standard twin is 39" wide?

Also, what is the weight diff between mattresses and foam?

Trust me, I would love to use twin mattresses for the simple fact that you can just throw sheets on em and wash or change out as needed.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Yes Standard Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
wait, so you used standard size twin mattresses? aren't the bunks 6" skinnier than a reg twin?? wouldn't that take a whole foot out the isle between them? Or maybe I need to remeasure my bunks. I thought they were 33" x 79"... and a standard twin is 39" wide?

Also, what is the weight diff between mattresses and foam?

Trust me, I would love to use twin mattresses for the simple fact that you can just throw sheets on em and wash or change out as needed.
Yes, standard twins, yes it takes up a few inches of aisle space, but we can still walk to the bathroom in the back no prob. I have a mattress cover, sheets (flat and fitted) and a puffy quilt on them in the picture to show you how much aisle space you'll have. Im a real "do it simple" and inexpensive person. The mattresses are light IMO, I can lift one by myself by the handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt in camper.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	119224  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #32
AluminumGirl

1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
I bought my queen sized 13 inch Accu-Gold foam mattress from Overstock for about $330 with shipping from Overstock.com The ad stated that the retail price for the "RV Mattress" was over $3K...what a bargain if this was the case. I am a full timer and have been sleeping on it for about 6 months and it is like brand new. It is in four pieces so it is easy to install it. I recommend a zippered cover to keep it clean from dust.
AluminumGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #33

2008 25' International
Faber , Virginia
Angry Rocky Mountain Mattress Delivery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Check out this thread posted by Pahaska who has converted a queen to twins and ordered custom mattresses from Rocky Mountain Mattress Co. He has also done a lot of other customization to his 2005 Classic as you will see in this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...-17610-12.html

Dennis

Rocky Mountain Mattress delivery process is broken – BEWARE. People say Rocky Mountain Mattress for an Airstream is a good product but their product delivery system seems only to work if the mattress is shipped to the billing address. If you’re on the move and want your mattress sent to any place other than your billing address – BEWARE. Even though the order from Rocky Mountain Mattress plainly said to deliver to a different address than our billing address between a two week window it was shipped to the billing address anyway. We received no notice of shipping or a tracking number when it was first shipped. Since we were not at the billing address it stayed on our porch until a neighbor took it in. Rocky Mountain Mattress did provide a shipping number finally but it took us several days to figure out that the shipping number provided was to pick up at our billing address in order to correct their mistake and send the mattress to the correct delivery address. However, it did not arrive in time at the delivery address and we had left. Then they just dropped us, would not communicate with us or right their shipping mistake. We found ourselves with a mattress at a rental house 700 miles from our billing address left to fend for ourselves. NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. BEWARE.
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beds, foam, mattress