Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankAm View Post
Ladyducks, could you please post a photo of the table assembly when it is folded up and out of the way? Eventually, I want to build a table similar to yours, and I would like to know where and how the table is put away in that cabinet along the wall.

Many thanks.
I don't have any photos of the table folded down and the trailer is in a storage facility right now. Until I get some photos, here's a description of how it works. The table works just like the typical Airstream foldout table - they've used this type for many years. I've even seen older ones for sale here on the classified section of AirForums.

Here's how the tabletop goes down: The leg is attached to the front bottom of the tabletop with a hinge (see the pics in my first post) and folds up to the underneath side of the table. It is held there by velcro. The front end of the tabletop is then lowered down. It is attached to the top of the back by a piano hinge which goes most of the width (you can just see it in the photo below). The tabletop ends up vertically suspended from the back top (just in front of the door). AS uses a couple of plastic devices (a kind of pressure fit latch I don't know the name of) to keep the tabletop from swinging while driving. I haven't added those yet as we are happy just leaving the table up. Here are two photos I found of the door shut and the door open. The door is just decorative. You could build a narrow shelf to put in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS8.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	252545   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS9.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	252546  

AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
On attaching recliner base to the floor, I would try it first without doing it. Some Airstreams seem to ride better than others, but our two recliners have never moved in many, many miles of travel. If they do move you might want to put some of that no-slip material used under rugs to hold them in place.

If they are loose you can move them around for cleaning, positioning for meals or other tasks. Ours are in the front so I slide them back to lighten the hitch weight slightly (it all helps); you can use them to help balance the load.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Are you going to attached the base of your new recliner to the floor?

Kelvin
Kelvin,

At this point I'm not going to attach the recliner to the floor. My old recliner was attached to the floor with a separate riser that I screwed to the floor. Despite Glastop RV saying they had an optional riser, Vernon Lambright said they haven't made that riser for a couple of years. I asked Vernon about attaching the chair to the floor and he said a few people have found or devised little c-shaped brackets that screw to the floor and hold the base of the chair in place. I took it that the c-shape is needed to go over base ring of the chair and there is a flat part of the bracket that is screwed to the floor.

I PM'd a AirForums member who had posted a pic of a Lambright recliner in the same place you and I plan and he responded that he doesn't have it attached. He's had it there for a year and it's only moved a couple of times (when he hit potholes). I'm going to go unattached initially and then look into finding or devising some attachment brackets if needed.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looking at your first photo in post #1. To extend the table it appears you would have to retract the support leg then drop the table a few inches lower to then lift the top table up and over otherwise the top table edge wouldn't clear the base top edge. The support leg must be mounted on a sliding mechanism so it can be slide forward to support the top leaf.

Could you take a photo showing the bottom of the table so we can see how the table leg is mounted?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Looking at your first photo in post #1. To extend the table it appears you would have to retract the support leg then drop the table a few inches lower to then lift the top table up and over otherwise the top table edge wouldn't clear the base top edge. The support leg must be mounted on a sliding mechanism so it can be slide forward to support the top leaf.

Could you take a photo showing the bottom of the table so we can see how the table leg is mounted?

Thanks

Kelvin
Kelvin,

You're right. I have to lower the front of the table to flip the extension over to make a full length table. A flaw in the manufacturing process that I plan to correct when I get to it. Too much trouble to ship it back to the company who built it in Ohio for the rework. The wife likes the table the way it is and sees it as a minor inconvenience dropping the front a little the few times we have unfolded the second tabletop out. The leg and supporting structure do slide out, just like the real foldout AS tables do. If I had it to do over, I might just get one folding tabletop - much simpler.

I don't have the trailer here for any photos to be taken.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
Kelvin,

At this point I'm not going to attach the recliner to the floor. My old recliner was attached to the floor with a separate riser that I screwed to the floor. Despite Glastop RV saying they had an optional riser, Vernon Lambright said they haven't made that riser for a couple of years. I asked Vernon about attaching the chair to the floor and he said a few people have found or devised little c-shaped brackets that screw to the floor and hold the base of the chair in place. I took it that the c-shape is needed to go over base ring of the chair and there is a flat part of the bracket that is screwed to the floor.

I PM'd a AirForums member who had posted a pic of a Lambright recliner in the same place you and I plan and he responded that he doesn't have it attached. He's had it there for a year and it's only moved a couple of times (when he hit potholes). I'm going to go unattached initially and then look into finding or devising some attachment brackets if needed.

Russ
Kelvin, here's a couple of pics I have showing how AS attached the Villa recliners to the floor. Russ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Villa Recliner 1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	252549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Villa Recliner 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	252550  

AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm thinking it would be best to have something to secure the recliner during travel in case of a panic stop. A lot of times my cushions end up sliding off onto the floor just from normal towing.

Thanks again.

Kelvin
Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went to my Airstream in storage today to take some more measurements and photos.

The table is 35 3/4" wide and 40" deep.

The table is about 30 7/8" from the floor to table top. This is a bit higher than the tables at home (29 1/2" and 29 3/4")

The distance from the floor to the top of the cushion on street side dinette seat is about 20".

I have two concerns; table height and distance between the table and the street side dinette. On the curb side the recliner can be move in to the table. On the street side if the table edge is cut too far back then you have to scoot forward on the cushion. Since the cushion over hangs the dinette seat frame there is less support if you are sitting on the edge with your butt vs your thighs. Leaning over to eat is not that comfortable either.

Russ, indicated his fold-away table surface is 28 1/2" which is 2 3/8" lower than my current table. The distance from the floor to the bottom of his table is 26 3/4" That would leave 6 3/4" between the bottom of the table and the seat cushion vs 9 7/8" with my table. Russ's table doesn't overhang the seat cushion so it provides more leg space for the legs when moving in and out from the dinette seat but the person sitting, I think, would have to lean over to eat.

I taped off 24" on my table center to try to envision how much space between the curb wall and the table once it is cut down or if a fold-away table is built with a 24" wide top. It looks like I'd have 38" of space. The Lambright recliner I'm thinking of is 27" wide and I think a front to rear depth of 34". All I need to the recliner to do is swivel from the facing the table about 45 degrees to face the TV and allow the the foot rest to be extended an the back rest to move back 2 1/2" and not hit the walls of the trailer.

I've attached some photos of my current table with some measurements and a couple of photos I found on these forums showing a cut down table and another fold-away table.

The last photo shows the Lambright recliner.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	252628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	252629  

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	252630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	252631  

Name:	Cutaway Table.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	252632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fold Out Table.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	252635  

Old 11-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Kelvin, check this link out to see what someone else did on building a table. I've seen this table in person and I really like it. Might be up your alley in terms of what you're looking for. Russ

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/n...on-123323.html
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We replaced the little fold-down section of our center counsel with a table just wide and long enough enough for dining-for-two, about 24" in back tapered to 22" in front, 28" long. It drops down when not needed, but we leave it up almost always. (We have the big folding side table for hobbies and projects.)

The narrow profile is plenty for dining, and allows plenty of space for our recliners on either side. The original factory table is way too wide for two people, and the bolsters behind the cushions a waste of space. Swiveling the recliners to the table for meals puts us too far away, we put a throw pillow behind our backs and it is just right.

These various conversions make wonderful use and comfort of the living space in the mid-size Airstreams. Good to see them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for the link. Just when I think I've searched all the threads another pops up.

According to the Alumitater's thread his fold-away table is 30" wide. I know from my measurements on my table with the tape set for a 24" table the space from the wall to the table is almost 38". If I were to have made a 30" table like Alumitater's table the distance to the curb wall would be 35". I wonder if 35" is enough space for the Lambright recliner? Since the 30" table is 5 3/4" less than mine, half of that distance would be 2 7/8". I think that would be workable for eating from the street dinette.

Kelvin
Old 11-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Just when I think I've searched all the threads another pops up.

According to the Alumitater's thread his fold-away table is 30" wide. I know from my measurements on my table with the tape set for a 24" table the space from the wall to the table is almost 38". If I were to have made a 30" table like Alumitater's table the distance to the curb wall would be 35". I wonder if 35" is enough space for the Lambright recliner? Since the 30" table is 5 3/4" less than mine, half of that distance would be 2 7/8". I think that would be workable for eating from the street dinette.

Kelvin
Kelvin,

Your choice on the width of the table - 20" like mine or 30" like Alumitater's. You're getting it made custom. You may want less width with a recliner there. Also note his is just one table top - it's either up or down. Simpler to build.

With my current recliner, I just swivel towards the table to eat. Not perfect but it works. You're right about the other side of the table - you have to lean over a little while eating. Our reason for not having it hang over the cushion is it subtracts from a person's space when laying there. My wife likes to lay there while watching TV. When seating four people to eat, we have a little stool which goes next to the recliner so we can seat two on each side.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Kelvin,

Your choice on the width of the table - 20" like mine or 30" like Alumitater's. You're getting it made custom. You may want less width with a recliner there. Also note his is just one table top - it's either up or down. Simpler to build.

With my current recliner, I just swivel towards the table to eat. Not perfect but it works. You're right about the other side of the table - you have to lean over a little while eating. Our reason for not having it hang over the cushion is it subtracts from a person's space when laying there. My wife likes to lay there while watching TV. When seating four people to eat, we have a little stool which goes next to the recliner so we can seat two on each side.

Russ
Kelvin, one correction - Tom's table is also 20" wide. The 30" is length. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Kelvin,

Our reason for not having it hang over the cushion is it subtracts from a person's space when laying there. My wife likes to lay there while watching TV. When seating four people to eat, we have a little stool which goes next to the recliner so we can seat two on each side.

Russ
My wife also uses the street side dinette with her back up against the rear window wall to watch TV. I'm stuck with the shorter curb side dinette seat. It is a tight fit when facing towards the TV on the fridge wall in my 25fb.

One thing I have just noticed in these photos is the heater duct is located on the street dinette very close to the back wall so any fold-away cabinet on the back wall has to allow clearance for the duct.

I agree that one leaf is only needed. From the photos here and on other threads the single leaf seems to extend as far out as the standard table. The wall cabinet shelf adds 10-12" in depth and could be used during dining.

This mod requires a compromise between fitting the recliner on the curb side, the size of the table and the eating/comfort distance on the street side dinette. Finding the minimum space needed for the recliner so it can swivel between the eating position and the TV watching distance and allowing it enough room to recline the required 2 1/2" (Lambright wall hugger) will dictate the largest size table.

I guess the most full proof method to determine table size is purchase the recliner, remove the curb side dinette and also, in my Airstream, the curb wall cabinet, and see how it fits with the standard table. The arms of recliner should clear under the table. I don't necessary need to turn 90 deg from the eating position, 45 deg should be enough to face the TV and to extend the footrest and about 60 deg to allow egress from the chair without worrying about bumping into the table.

Kelvin
Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #55
Quarter-Timer

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Re-Use Dinette for Drop-Leaf Table

Thank you to Luckyducks for the inspiration to do our first 'reconfiguration'. We purchased a 2014 25FB Flying Cloud and decided to take out the curb-side dinette seat and replace with a BenchMaster recliner. We did it - loved it...and then took out the roadside seat as well. We then used the reclaimed parts and downsized the under-dinette drawer and fashioned a drop-leaf table. Drawer width was reduced to 8.5". Table height is 25.75" which is most comfortable for the recliners. The table extends 32" from the wall (the backside of the table has a bracket to store my laptop). The tabletop is 12" wide and the leafs are each 11". The table must be pulled out from the wall away from the recliners to extend the leafs for meal-time. We have them down most of the rest of the time. We secure both the recliners and the table with bungee cords to the wall hardware when on the road. We may change that plan when/if we remove the wall hardware. We enclosed the wiring behind the roadside recliner with a plastic audio wiring wrap that you don't really see anyway. We haven't missed the subwoofer that we removed from the curbside dinette seat space. The roadside recliner access is a bit tight, but I'm 6'/185# and can get in/out with no trouble. Again - we love it and it matches our lifestyle with only two of us onboard at most times (with 3 little mutts:-). Thanks again for the inspiration Luckyducks! ps...the Benchmaster sidetable accessory is a HIT! We'll get another one for the roadside recliner. View picture just to showoff our great parking spot for Jan/Feb!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leafs Up.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	256860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb Leaf Up.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	256861  

Name:	Curbside Door View Leafs Down.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	256862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tucson View.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	256863  

KellysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
KellysDream, very nice! I've thought about the two recliner modification but moving the furnace was an issue. What did you do with the furnace/wiring? Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 02-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
After four years with the Benchmaster recliner, my better half wanted more floor room in the living area. The main culprit was the free standing recliner ottoman. So we made a change in recliners and bought the Lambright recliner with integrated leg support. So far, so good. The chair is four inches narrower and is a wall hugger so it can be placed within two inches of the wall. We also had the chair covered with the same ultraleather fabric that the sofa was done in. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Recliner.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	256939  
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It looks great, who did your modifications? Thanks
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
It looks great, who did your modifications? Thanks
Hey urnmor, Thanks for the compliment. We've been very happy with the change. I did the work myself but I had suppliers provide each of the parts of the job. Go back to my first post on this thread to get all of the details. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
KellysDream, that is a great modification. I am not quite understanding how the table works. Do you have a drawing to show?
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote