Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie90 View Post
Are y'all still happy with this re-model?
If you're asking about recliners replacing dinette/lounge seating, extremely happy. Wish we had done it right away instead of suffering backaches and crooked necks for two years.

It's important to know we are retired and in our trailer 6 months a year.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
Source of covering material

Can you please tell me where you got material for the cushions that so closely matches the chair?

Did you have the cushions done locally?
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoyah101 View Post
Can you please tell me where you got material for the cushions that so closely matches the chair?

Did you have the cushions done locally?
We got the cushions recovered locally at an upholstery shop. We picked out a material that Airstream uses (and many yacht, high end RV, and jet manufacturers use). It's Ultraleather, a synthetic product that is very soft and durable. I found many photos that show how Airstream does their stitch patterns and provided those to the local upholsterer so our sofa would look like it came from the factory. The material came from Gulf Fabrics (the upholsterer ordered it) and is Brisa Distressed 3024 Chamois. Two years later, we're happy with all of our decisions (recliner, table, curtains, and sofa redo). Russ

Click this link to see the specific fabric in the Ultraleather line that we chose:
https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/img/managed/sub_collections/color_cards/7.pdf
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Russ and Linda,

I'm awaiting a reply from Dennis concerning the cost of a conversion like yours. In the meantime I made the changes that are shown in my avatar.
Sorry we missed you guys at Alumaflamingo.

>>ron and linda<<
Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hillsborough , North Carolina
We finally found comfort with our conversion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	208285  

WBCCI #3735
swede0030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
Excellent. Thank you for the kind reply. That is good fabric / material.

If only Airstream did not randomly strew the imbedments such as the heater randomly within the cabin and instead place them in clusters to make remodeling easier. That darn heater in the 27FB just clutters up the place. I wonder if there are some regs on spacing of fired units?

I've arranged and rearranged many times and have four workable floor plans that are more functional than the dinette.
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Eddie Bauer - Love the look BUT

Those recliners are so comfortable looking. I've been toying with modifying the dinette table so that it would be narrower with folding leaves... then I decided to just make it about six inches narrower AND to get a second set of table legs so that I could set it down to coffee table height. (and lighten it so storing it would be easier.) In addition to having it coffee table height I'd make a cushion to put on top of it to flop my legs up on when watching TV. I'd also toss the funny wedge cushion next to the door and add some big pillows to make it really comfy.

Then last night I was channel surfing and hit QVC right as they were selling a bean bag chair with a rectangular liner that can be used as a floor mattress.... Hmm. Talk about an easy, quick, cheap, flexible, easily reversed modification. Bean Bag Chair.......
"Groovy Man!", said she toking gently, dreaming of Colorado.
"Where's the lava lamp?"
Could even make it myself if I ordered about 3 yards of matching fabric from the factory.

Paula
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We want to go with this modification on our 2008 Classic 25fb since we are planning on get a queen to twin bed conversion and new flooring soon we might as well get the living area done.

I have some questions:
What are dimensions of the foldout table?
How wide is the table?
Can two sit opposite each other and put two normal sized plates or do you have to eat staggered or can two eat on just the one leaf pulled out or do you have to use the extension?
How wide and deep is the top on the table base?
How far out does the table extend with one table and when the extension is folded out?
How high is the table bottom to the floor?

Does the table frame mounted to the rear wall allow access to the electric sockets/TV satellite jumper?

Does the recliner stay in one position that allows you to eat and also swivel around to watch TV or do you have to adjust its position so as not to hit the table or wall. We are thinking of this recliner that only requires 2 1/2" distance from wall to recline and has built in foot rest.
Lambright Lazy Relaxor Wall Hugger Recliner, Glastop Inc.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We want to go with this modification on our 2008 Classic 25fb since we are planning on get a queen to twin bed conversion and new flooring soon we might as well get the living area done.

I have some questions:
What are dimensions of the foldout table?
How wide is the table?
Can two sit opposite each other and put two normal sized plates or do you have to eat staggered or can two eat on just the one leaf pulled out or do you have to use the extension?
How wide and deep is the top on the table base?
How far out does the table extend with one table and when the extension is folded out?
How high is the table bottom to the floor?

Does the table frame mounted to the rear wall allow access to the electric sockets/TV satellite jumper?

Does the recliner stay in one position that allows you to eat and also swivel around to watch TV or do you have to adjust its position so as not to hit the table or wall. We are thinking of this recliner that only requires 2 1/2" distance from wall to recline and has built in foot rest.
Lambright Lazy Relaxor Wall Hugger Recliner, Glastop Inc.

Thanks

Kelvin
Hi Kelvin,

Dimensions of the foldout table? - Tabletop (eating surface with one foldout) is 23 1/2" long and 20" wide and 28 1/2" high.

How wide is the table? - 20"

Can two people sit opposite each other and use two normal sized plates? - Yes, the table width is 20". We only use the other layer (second foldout) if we have 4-5 people in to eat.

How wide and deep is the top on the table base? - I assume you are talking about the part which attaches to the trailer wall. The top is 13" deep and 24" wide. The side pieces (also attached the wall) are 5 1/4" deep at the bottom.

How far out does the table extend with one table and when the extension is folded out? 36 1/2" with one foldout table and the extension brings it to 60".

How high is the table bottom to the floor? 26 3/4". To the eating surface is 28 1/2".

Does the table frame mounted to the rear wall allow access to the electric sockets/TV jumper? Yes. On my table there's a door hiding the wall and all those sockets. I drilled a 1 1/2" hole on the street side of the table side piece with a hole saw and put a plastic hole grommet in the hole. That gave me access to put the cord from the lamp we have on the table top down to a power source.

Does the recliner stay in one place that allows you to eat and also swivel around? I got the optional riser ring and screwed that to the floor. The recliner sits on that ring and swivels all around. I eat meals using that recliner facing in toward the table. The Lambright recliner has the riser also (it looks like it is standard). I also put a few black velcro staps around the base of the recliner and the riser ring to hold the recliner down. Just a precautionary thing since the rear of the trailer bounces more than the front.

Other comments if I had it to do over -

I would get the Lambright or Villa recliner with the built in leg support. The built in leg support will give you more floor area in the trailer. Maybe the Lambright has an edge because it has a riser (which can be screwed to the floor). My recliner/ottoman is very comfortable but moving the ottoman slightly to the center of the trailer so one can go in and out of the trailer is cumbersome. This moving is each morning and at night. The advantage of the ottoman is that it is adjustable where it supports your legs. Does the Lambright support long legs comfortably? BTW, I just looked at the Lambright chair online and it is 4 inches narrower than mine (27" versus 31") but approximately the same seat height and depth. The narrower width is in the arm width not the seat. The Lambright seat width (inside arm to inside arm) is 20 1/2" whereas mine is 20". The Lambright chair will fit fine.

On the table, I would just do one foldout. We never use the second foldout. I'm sure the table would be much cheaper and easier to make with just one foldout. I would also recommend a local cabinet maker do the work. Roettger Hardwoods did an excellent job but it was about 6 months to get the table made. I believe they are doing the cherry wood interiors on the new Classic so they may be swamped with work. But they did the Hickory wood on your trailer so you may want to check with them.

Another table option is to just cut your existing tabletop narrower. Leave the back the same width (where the table attaches to the wall) but cut a curve on both sides of the table about 6-8" from the wall and end up with a tabletop that is 4-5" narrower on each side towards the front. Maybe end up with the 20" width for most of the table, but full width on the back of the tabletop to use the existing brackets holding the table to the wall. A cabinet shop could do this for you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks so much for taking the time to collect the information and share.

I've been thinking about a plan B that would be cutting my table size down. One of the issues with the Classic hickory table is I think it is a little too wide. When you slide into the dinette seats the table edge is right up close to your waist. I think its size is due to the table having to rest on top of the dinette when in the sleeping position. Looking at how it rests on the dinette ends and measuring it appears cutting off about 5" off each side would still give me a table that is 24" wide. The nice thing about the fold down table is when you don't need it you can fold it back into the frame and open up the space.

Thanks for the heads up about Roetiger Hardwoods. 6 months lead time is probably not going to work for us. The company we are considering do custom interiors on large diesel pushers so I would think a simple holdup table would be easy. They have assured me they can match the wood.

Kelvin
Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Russ, I sure do like what you have done to your AS. We also have the 25' FB with the ultra leather couch. Is the BenchMaster comfortable and is it ultra leather? I looked on the Amazon website and BenchMaster received a low approval rating. I researched the Lambright recliner but its kind of pricey. With the Lambright the 2.5 feet from the wall concerns me. I can understand having a separate ottoman could pose a problem of being in the way.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Russ, I sure do like what you have done to your AS. We also have the 25' FB with the ultra leather couch. Is the BenchMaster comfortable and is it ultra leather? I looked on the Amazon website and BenchMaster received a low approval rating. I researched the Lambright recliner but its kind of pricey. With the Lambright the 2.5 feet from the wall concerns me. I can understand having a separate ottoman could pose a problem of being in the way.
Hi gaylejoe, the BenchMaster recliner I have is very comfortable and has real leather where the skin touches. I've had no problem with any aspect of the chair for the past 4 years. Granted it is on the cheaper end of the scale so I wouldn't expect it to last as well as other more expensive brands. The only negative we've experienced is that the ottoman gets partially in the way while coming in and going out of the trailer. So, during the day we move it over in front of the table but every night we move it back. Since we plan on spending a lot more time camping in the future, I just ordered the Lambright recliner. It is only 27" wide versus the 31" width of the Benchmaster. The Benchmaster fits well but the Lambright will fit better. The biggest feature of the Lambright recliner that we like is the integrated leg support - we get more floor space. And we're getting it covered in ultraleather to match the sofa. It's more expensive than the BenchMaster but there are other recliners even more expensive. By the way, the Lambright is a wall hugger and only requires 2.5 inches space from the wall, not 2.5 feet as you mentioned in your post. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Russ, we are considering the Lambright 27" wall hugger. How were you able to find out the color and style of the ultra-leather on your Airstream? Can you send the VIN to Airstream for them to look up the ultra-leather?

What company did you choose to order the Lambright?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Russ, we are considering the Lambright 27" wall hugger. How were you able to find out the color and style of the ultra-leather on your Airstream? Can you send the VIN to Airstream for them to look up the ultra-leather?

What company did you choose to order the Lambright?

Thanks

Kelvin
Kelvin,

When we bought our 2010 Flying Cloud 25FB new it had the material covering on the sofa. We wanted ultraleather covering and used a local upholsterer to re-cover those sofa cushions. We picked the Brisa Distressed Chamois ultraleather fabric. I also had researched photos of new ASs to see the stitch patterns and provided pics of those sofas to my upholsterer. It looks factory, which was our goal. See this link to the company that ultraleather comes from (and to see the different products/colors):

https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/

For the Lambright recliner, I'm dealing directly with Lambright Comfort Chairs, Vernon Lambright specifically. You can deal with other dealers but Vernon and crew make all the Lambright furniture. Here's a link with information to Lambert:

RV-Dreams Journal: Visit To Lambright Comfort Chairs - (Goshen, IN)

Lambert doesn't have a website. You just have to call Vernon to order one. One of my reasons to deal directly with Vernon was no sales tax. Since I live in Florida, dealing with Glastop Furniture (also in Florida) would involve sales tax. Vernon said they would get the chair built in 4 weeks and then ship it to me (4 more days).

I would hope the customer service people at AS will give you the ultraleather color if you ask. Maybe AS used that Chamois color, I don't remember. You can then get the Lambright chair made in the same color. Our BenchMaster recliner was a different color shade but went well with the sofa.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thank you for this information. Did you find the prices at the factory the same as Glastop? $850 + shipping for Ultraleather.

Kelvin
Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Thank you for this information. Did you find the prices at the factory the same as Glastop? $850 + shipping for Ultraleather.

Kelvin
Yes
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Russ, you just swayed me to the Lambright. That 2 1/2 inches from the wall sold me. Will the weight have any effect on your AS?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
Russ, you just swayed me to the Lambright. That 2 1/2 inches from the wall sold me. Will the weight have any effect on your AS?
Weight difference is very small. The recliner is about 80lbs which is offset by removal of the curbside part of the dinette (frame, cushion, wood platform under the cushion, and drawer).
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Ladyducks, could you please post a photo of the table assembly when it is folded up and out of the way? Eventually, I want to build a table similar to yours, and I would like to know where and how the table is put away in that cabinet along the wall.

Many thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Are you going to attached the base of your new recliner to the floor?

Kelvin