Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2002, 12:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref:Len cover

Hi Andy,
From the total given(19), it's all of the 12 volt light lens cover..The ones over the sink, in the ceiling, bathroom, the reading lights over the beds..each light fixture had two white lens except for the one in the shower.
Our unit is: 1984 Sovereign, 29' with rear beds. I don't know much abt 'apples and oranges' when it comes to A/S but...I try to stick with the original replacement or geniune A/S parts..
As I stated earlier, 19 lens cover, $1.28 each, total cost $24.32 plus Ohio sale tax. (No shipping charges, as I picked them up in person).
The finis results is, as others have stated, much cleaner,nicer looking and, decent light now.
In the last two years, I've spend at least 60%of the purchased price in 'fixing things' Of which, the majority was in the area of safety.
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
That lens is about 4 inches sqaure, Airstream closed them out. The lens the other fellows are talking about is for earlier years and is 17 3/4 inches square. Yours is far from the same thing they have.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:05 PM   #23

cracked end cap

Hello,
I recently purchased our first airstream. It is a 1979 25' land yacht. It is in exceptional original shape on the inside. but I too have the yellowing problem on the plastic parts.and my front end cap is cracked. I would be interested in knowing if there is a replcement cap available. Also just for your info. It is not generally a stain problem but a sun problem. If you look at a new $200,000 motorhome going down the road it will generally have a yellow Refer door and stove vent. So it is not just an Airstream problem. I have worked in the RV industry for 20 years and grew up on an Airstream retail lot in VA. And this has always been a problem with plastic parts still exsistant today.
cotopaxitwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 06:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref

Andy,
1. It sure helps to know the size, doesn't it??. I, like the others, had no idea that the size could be that far off.( Just assumed that all A/S had similiar size len lights) Thanks for your input. One thing I've learned is; Just when you think you have all the facts, one little bit of information pops up that, changes everything~!
I'm sure 'you' know this all too well..
And now to the "third stage" of enlightment (Thanks Frank, for that phrase).
"LET'S ALL GET OUT THERE AND, ENJOY THE DARN THING!!"
Isn't that what we bought these for????

2.cotopaxitwo
I agree with you abt the plastic discoloration, it's not just an A/S thing..If anything, we as A/S owner, are far better off then most.
Just wanted to say this abt the plastic end caps..(If we're talking abt the same thing, lol) My understanding on this..No, they're not being made and, A/S doesn't have them in stock. So, unless you just happen to find one off an older unit or from a dealer. I'm afraid you just might be outa luck on that one.
Interesting approach: One of the photos on this forum shows a project where the end cap has been replaced with wood panel in , what I would call, a starburst pattern~Looks KEWL~~!
Just this past summer, while staying in one of your local (ur in Fredericksburg?) campgrounds in Va., I was sitting out under my awning, enjoying a rum/coke. When I notice nearby that, there was a unit for sale (non A/S). I walked over to take a look at it. It was newer unit (Terry,91) than my A/S(84) but...I gotta tell you, if this is anything like how non A/S holds up...I couldn't even go into detailing the things were wrong and, this was from the outside only..Don't even wanta think abt the inside~! But, to give you what the market is asking, etc. This unit was approx 28' , like I said, A Terry and, the owner was asking $4,800. It sold , by the way too...Watched it pulled out by the new owner.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-16-2002, 08:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
A small number of end caps are still available for the older trailers. In some cases, a new headliner will fit. Providing the trailer serial number, is a beginning for the search.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-16-2002, 01:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
End Cap

Andy,
Once again, you've saved the day for someone..Thank goodness both of mine are still in like new condition. Question for you: What does a new end cap sell for? I realize that's a broad question but, what are we talking about in general? Again, Thanks for your knowledge..ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-16-2002, 04:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Cleaning dull Walls, etc

I cleaned all the plastic [or whatever] end caps and the walls with Simple Green full strength in some places and a soft scrub pad [the red ones]. It was a lot of work spread out over a few days but it did clean up the walls and roof and removed the sticky feel. The end caps did clean up some but still had a buff color after I finished. I thought that was the original color of a '71 28ft Int. Tom
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:36 PM   #28

Andy,

Thanks for the info, Is there a specific place to check for the availabilty of the caps. Like a dealer, or the factory, or after market?
Old 09-16-2002, 04:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
I can get the end caps, ifthey are still available. But I need your serial number and which cap do you need/ Front or rear?

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 09-16-2002, 04:59 PM   #30

I need the front cap. and my serial # is I25 T9J 2062
Old 08-28-2004, 05:52 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Interior Lights

Has anybody tried the flouresent lights? If so which size did you use?

On the subject of end caps... you can get plastic welding kits from places like Harbor Freight and Lowes sells paint and primer made for plastic. I used it on my AC cover, which was yellowed and it worked great.
jperryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just revisited this thread after so many moons..
Since then, I have picked up an older A/S to add to our collection...lol
One thing I notice is: The end caps in my '64 GT is made from fiberglass material and still looks as good as it did the day it was new..Amazing~No cracks, nothing~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 08-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Since I'm stripping the inside of my AS because its so filthy and water damaged. Ive been quite loose in experimenting with differant cleaning things. Ive found that plain old oven cleaner, whitch is lye will clean the end caps to sperkling white. It will also eat the aluminum. But I was very carefull and it was the only thing I found that would do the job. WARNING this is a 1967 Overlander and I Do not know what the end caps are made out of. But I'm sure a little testing in an inconspicuos place would not hurt.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullen
Since I'm stripping the inside of my AS because its so filthy and water damaged. Ive been quite loose in experimenting with differant cleaning things. Ive found that plain old oven cleaner, whitch is lye will clean the end caps to sperkling white. It will also eat the aluminum. But I was very carefull and it was the only thing I found that would do the job. WARNING this is a 1967 Overlander and I Do not know what the end caps are made out of. But I'm sure a little testing in an inconspicuos place would not hurt.
The Oven Cleaner is something that I may try on mine. I have looked several times at that dull dingy looking yellowish end cap and thought if I could just paint it an off white it would sure liven up the inside look. Has anyone else tried the oven cleaner, and what results can you report?

As far as the lights go, well mine are shot too, but I am going to be replacing them with some homemade ones if we can get them looking good, and if not we will just buy new ones.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Wink Yellow End Caps

I had great success painting my ugly yellow end caps on my 1974 Tradewind. I used krylon Fusion spray paint that I bought at Wall Mart. The color I selected is Dover White. It blends very well with my interior walls. I cleaned the caps as well as I could with 409 and then used clear water to rinse them down and allowed them to dry. I then masked and painted. Be sure to cover all horizontal surfaces in the trailer because the paint spray will drift and accumulate on them. I did this last November and they still look great after sitting through a summer of New Mexico heat. I was so impressed with the way they turned out that I also used the paint on my shower stall and pan as well as the counter top in the bath room. Good luck. Shelby
Shelby Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Anyone thought about covering the cap's.... If you look at speaker boxes that people make for there car's you'll see it. No not orig. but could look great. I have some faux leather I'm going to try. I've redone (in the middle of) so I don't have to stay original.
Use glue, heat and it should look great. (I hope)
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote