Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Dowagiac , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Tabbykat
Drape help

After seeing the cost of new drapes, and feeling rather daunted at the idea of making my own, I decided that the ones I had would do for now. I washed them and, miraculously, they did not disintegrate! I now see that I need to replace several of the clips that slide into the C channel. I have several extra bags of the plastic thingies, but my question is>>> the little tabs sewn on that hold the plastic pieces...is that regular elastic or something else (non-stretchy)? I also noticed that every one of these tabs is a different length. Obviously, they are worn out, but they SHOULD be the same, shouldn't they?
stays in the trailer park
Tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbykat
After seeing the cost of new drapes, and feeling rather daunted at the idea of making my own, I decided that the ones I had would do for now. I washed them and, miraculously, they did not disintegrate! I now see that I need to replace several of the clips that slide into the C channel. I have several extra bags of the plastic thingies, but my question is>>> the little tabs sewn on that hold the plastic pieces...is that regular elastic or something else (non-stretchy)? I also noticed that every one of these tabs is a different length. Obviously, they are worn out, but they SHOULD be the same, shouldn't they?
They are just elastic. I guess you could use something made from "unobtainium" if you wanted to.
They should all be the same length too. I am sure they are just all stretched out.
The cost of the James P Ambruso drapes are expensive but I have found them to be far superior to the OEM drapes. Even if the OEM drapes were new.
I was going to wait another year on my drapes but I saw that the price for them jumped by $40 over the previous year. I decided that I should bite the bullet for less money now. I have not regretted it.
If you can get another couple years out of yours, that is great.
I hope I helped.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Dowagiac , Michigan
Yes, thank you. I REALLY want those drapes you mentioned, but just can't swing it yet. That's another reason why I don't want to try to make my own...feel like I'd be wasting my money on something I'd be unhappy with. I have no idea if the drapes I have are actually the originals or not? They look like cotton thermal blanket material. After looking at the workmanship, I sure hope they were homemade A seamstress friend of mine insisted that those tabs were something other than elastic, but I didn't believe her. I think I'll probably just rent a good movie, sit down and replace all of them.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
We have the slides that fit into a channel on our drapes. They are attached by woven fabric tapes. Elastic will break down, as you know, but could you pinch it up and stitch across the tape to eliminate the excess? If that would work for you, determine if you want the excess to be on the underside pointing toward the drape or on the outside pointing toward the window/wall.
If you can't sew them for whatever reason, or need a somewhat temporary fix, how about little safety pins to take up the excess? Might work if opening & closing the drape is done carefully. Not very professional but may be worth a try.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbykat
Yes, thank you. I REALLY want those drapes you mentioned, but just can't swing it yet. That's another reason why I don't want to try to make my own...feel like I'd be wasting my money on something I'd be unhappy with. I have no idea if the drapes I have are actually the originals or not? They look like cotton thermal blanket material. After looking at the workmanship, I sure hope they were homemade A seamstress friend of mine insisted that those tabs were something other than elastic, but I didn't believe her. I think I'll probably just rent a good movie, sit down and replace all of them.
Sharon,

Judging by the year of your trailer I would say you still have the originals in it.
I have NEVER been happy with the draperies Aristream has put in the trailers. My 1963 had the originals stuffed into a drawer and they looked rather good but the material was crappy just the same, old or new.
All of the three 1970's trailers I had still had the original drapes too. Cheap material to say the least. They blocked very little light too.
My Dad's 1973, which he bought brand new, had the same cheesy drapes.
I had to really save to get the money for the James P. Ambruso drapes. They are awesome.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Dowagiac , Michigan
Well, the Ambruso drapes are my next goal in life. We learned a valuable lesson this weekend...the dog CANNOT be left loose in the trailer when we leave. He must be claustrophobic...whenever left in a small space, he EATS the mini-blinds. Obviously, he tried climbing the drapes too, since half the tabs are ripped off now. Thank God, I hadn't gotten around to fixing them yet. And an even BIGGER thank you for letting me learn this lesson BEFORE I got my new drapes
Old 08-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Wichita Falls , Texas
curtain clips

My clips were all the same but I don't think they were orignal. I recently made new curtains, (it's not hard, you can do this!) and bought new clips at the local RV dealer for less than $3 a box of 14. I just sewed them directly into the seam of the curtian without any tape or elastic stuff.
Carole293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
My Mom made new curtains for our other Argosy and they looked just great.. triple pleated and with very good lining used.. my job was sewing on the elastic and the clips... pain in the ...... but well worth the effort... .. now to start all over again on the newer 79 Argosy .. wraparound front and back.. .. needless to say .. Mom said this is the last ones she is doing.. Mom will be 80 next month and a very good seamstress .. I am able to sew but she does a better job.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Dowagiac , Michigan
OK, ladies, I repaired all the existing tabs and hangers and the curtains look fine. Everyone keeps telling me how EASY it is to make new ones. Does anybody have any EASY instructions? For the bedroom, I bought some sheets that I liked, figured I could wing something up with them, but I want the living area to look nicer. Home decorating fabric is expensive and I don't want to screw it up.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Sharon,,, what about a simple cafe' curtain on tension rods? i recently bought some very nice heavy fabric and am putting those underneath the existing original curtains. one could rod both upper and lower, or just the upper with a split in the center for easy opening. simple to sew a pocket for the rod and hem the ends,,,, looks great,,, good luck,,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How To Books, DVD's

There are lots of good resources to learn how to make curtains, etc. You might also find a class at your local fabric store, too.

When making pleated curtains for flat rectangular windows, the measurements are really simple, take the width of the window, and triple or quadruple it for the fabric required. Triple if you're using pleats more than 4 inches apart, quadruple for 3 inch wide pleats.

There are two ways to make the curved panels, either treat them as straight, make them to fit the bottom measurement, and let the top pleats be more gathered together when hung. The other way, which is a little harder is to make the curved sections in a slight fan shape and actually make the distance between pleats about 1/2 inch narrower at the top than at the bottom. I went the latter route. Nitpicker me! By the time I get them hung, I doubt if anyone but me will know the difference. I did line them with a high quality water resistant lining.... Your choice of lining is almost more important than the fabric you choose. Unlined drapes will discolor and wear from sun damage rather quickly.

The idea of using pretty sheets for drapes is actually great! Think of it as a practice run and a pattern for the real drapes. Just avoid stripes as they will show every flaw. Sheet drapes, if lined should last for 5+ years... and they are dirt cheap.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #12

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
winona , Minnesota
Can someone tell me where to get the little clippy things you need for the curtains??

sounds like I'm not the only one with curtains issues!
camping&pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
It depends on which clippy things were in your trailer originally. Kirsch still makes a lot of the old hardware. And you can also find the tabs at RV stores.

Also try typing in curtains in the search box on the portal page. You will find tons more information on curtains.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Making your own

Recently my husband and I bought a 73 Airstream with the origional drapes. I hated them!! The trailer had been sitting for about 8 years without any use and most of the drapes were dry rotted and had what looked like mold on them. I was afraid to wash them so I set out on a quest for some material to make my own. For the bedroom, I went to the local walmart and found some pretty material for about 8.00 a yard, (it is an antique white with a slight pattern). I bought 2 yards just in case it didnt work out like I wanted, and so it began. I used the origonal curtains as a pattern. I took one of each size apart completely. I pinned it to my new fabric and cut it out. I was very surprised at how easy they were to make. The hardest part was taking apart the old drapes. I used elastic in the eyelets at the bottom. They make this stuff that is very stiff just for making pleats. You can get it at walmart for about .40 a yard . They turned out great ! I will post pictures soon. I also bought some chocolate brown suede like material and covered the bedroom couch/bed. used the same principle except I made it a 2 piece instead of one. For the front room I ordered material from a fabric store online. Soon as I am done with it, all the pictures will be posted. Hope it helps someone! If anyone has any questions just shoot me an email and I will be glad to share all the things we are doing ourselves to save money.
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Vintage Trailer Supply online has some of those curtain thingies if you dont find them at the rv store.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Homemade Curtains

Here are the pictures of the curtains I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tammy's curtains.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	25357   Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains 2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	25358  

Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
John,

Very nice job. I made curtains for my last trailer, a 1971 25 footer. They came out real nice with material bought on sale from Wal Mart. Blue inside and white muslin lining. Really looked boog and kept the heat down. I even had the plastic attachments for the tracks and elastic to keep them tight. Lot of work but very satisfying when you take pride in the ride.

Post your technique, if you have time. I am thinking of doing it again even though the curtain expert only lives 15 minutes from me, James Ambruso I think is his name. A little more than I would like to spend since mine are not totally trashed at this point.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Sorry I wasn't thinking when I posted the curtain idea that I am his wife, Tammy. I am waiting on the material for the living room to be delivered. As soon as I get it I will take step by step pictures as I make them. I will also post the recovering of the living room couch/bed. The material should be here friday, I hope!!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Recovered Couch/bed

Here are some pictures after I recovered the couch/bed. I used a chocolate brown faux suede that I purchased at Wa-mart for 2.40 a yd. Also some before and afters of the stove top that I had to re-do. For the cover I cheated. Until I can get a new one made, I went to Lowes and bought aluminum shelf paper and covered it. It turned out nice and when you look at it in person, you cant tell its paper!! For the stove, I sanded the rust off and used a black high heat paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch bed covered.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25445   Click image for larger version

Name:	covered couch2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	25446  

Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #20