Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2002, 08:00 PM   #1

Door window rollup shades

Okay: so I was able to get the roll up window shade out of the door window in my Excella by using brute force and a home made tool, (garden weed remover with forked prong). Now. does anyone know how to get the new one in. As most know, it's way up in the top of the window with a vinyl covered interior trim on the inside of the door. I can't find any way to get my hand up there and insert the new shade into the slots. Do I have to remove the rivits holding the interior trim in place to get the clearance to do it? There has got to be an easier way. Maybe Andy at Inland RV has had to replace these before. Anyone else.?

Thanks for any ideas.
pittsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
just did mine in june, i could not get mine in without drilling all the rivets out of the top half of the door. it worked though.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Any solution other than rivet-drilling?

I know this is old, but only one reply, and now another trailer with problem... Has ANYONE had success trying to rewind shade on roller without removing inner door liner and re-riveting it??

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I do not have one, but I have heard and been told that the only way to fix it is to dissassemble the top of the door. Sorry
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Yes, I did it. Next time I will drill out the rivets. No kidding.

After much trial and error, I got it in by unrolling it about half way. First, remove the trim from around the inside panel opening - you need all the room you can get. Careful, though, the edges will be sharp! I put in the pin side first, then slowly worked the spring side up and in, holding the inner panel away with one hand while I pushed the roller up and in with the other.

In all seriousness, it worked only because I have very strong fingers, and a very high threashold of pain in my hands.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Drilling out the rivets in no way detracts from the value of the coach. To me it shows that it has been maintained. All it takes is a 1/8 inch or #30 bit and a pop rivet gun along with the rivets. There is no vo-doo to it, just take your time and be careful. If you want the rivets to be the correct color you can paint them ahead of time or get them from an Airstream dealer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Correct Color Rivets?

Picked up rivets at Airstream dealer today. They are snow white and my inside door panel rivets are cream colored. I would rather not paint. I'm guessing I can get the correct color from Airstream?
Also I'm told Airstream no longer carries the original shade. Is there somewhere I can get the correct replacement? Any help appreciated.
JoeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

"I'm guessing I can get the correct color from Airstream?"

Not unless you can find some old stock. The ivory colored pop rivets seem to be a thing of the past. The best you can do is touch up the new ones with matching paint. However, once installed, I have a hard time telling the white ones from the ivory ones, even on close inspection.

"Also I'm told Airstream no longer carries the original shade. Is there somewhere I can get the correct replacement? Any help appreciated."

I took the roller to a shade place and had a new one made. Custom shades can be made from scratch as well.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I changed the shades in my 93 Excella 28 a couple of years ago. I went to Walmart and got "cut your own to size" shades, used the old shades as a guide and cut my own. Worked out really well. In terms of the shade in the door, the only way I found was to drill the rivits. To match the rivit heads, I punched a bunch of small holes in card board, inserted rivits, and used one of Wally Worlds spray paints to color them almond - or some such near color - I don't really remember the paint color. I picked one that looked close off the shelf. By the way, wood grab bar amd little brass handle out of the original shades and put them in the new shades. Its a close fit but it works. This was the most cost effective way I found to take care of my ratty shades. You can't tell it from a pro job. Good Luck.
pjlingl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thanks again to all... I drilled rivets and pulled (pried..) down vinyl clad sheet to about base of window. Almost reset and re-used old shade, which would have been disaster since ratchet end was broken internally. Bought new and had it cut to width for $5.99 at local hardware/home store, and added wooden handle at bottom for extra $3..

I painted rivets almond color using cardboard and spray paint, and learned ANOTHER valuable lesson: Put masking tape on rivet shafts (so rivet gun won't clog up) and wait for paint to dry!!

Final effort looks like new, and shade is great. One other item I would have done if I had access to sewing machine is to cut off excess length and re-hem, since mine is 20 inches wide and 48 inches long on the roll...

JB McG
(Condoluminum)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote