Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
cutting mattress to fit bed frame??

hi all,
my recent purchase of a 1978 AS included the two mattress pads that are two inches larger than the bed frame on each side of the trailer. they are sealed in a plastic or vinyl and seem to be comfortable.. i am considering cutting them down to the correct size or removing about two inches from the side and then resealing them into the vinyl bag using some type of sealant. anyone know what sealant to try??? thanks, charlie
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Before this falls off the page, can you explain exactly what is being trimmed? Is it the entire mattress, or just a mattress pad? Is it foam or does it have structure? Is it hanging over frame and sagging?

There are other threads asking how to make mattresses an inch or two wider, since many find beds too snug. What is penalty ssociated with leaving them over-sized?

You can get memory (visco-elastic) foam pads in several weights as mattress toppers for roughly $35 for twin size, and $55 for full size, and these are easy to trim to mattress size, including rounding corner where trailer curves in...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
condo,
the bed frame is 32 inches wide rectangular in shape....... the foam vinyl covered mattress is 34 inches and this reduces the walkway back to the bathroom by four inches. i am considering cutting open the vinyl cover -- take the foam mattress and cut off two inches along it's entire length. then put it back in the vinyl bag and attempt to seal it back up with some kind of vinyl sealant --- antone know of the proper vinyl sealant i could use?? thanks, tuna
Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Tuna,

Not real clear on the type of pad? How thick is this thing? Any picture? It is only two inches wider than needed so not clear how it will encroach on the walkway to the bathroom. The pad is encased with plastic. Are these covers like the seat covers that my Italian grandmother had on her couches? Or is this some thin topper that has been waterproofed?

I would try to cut it if it really bothers you for two inches and the fold the extra material to form a bead and sew it back together.

This is curious, I must say. Picture would sure help.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #5

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
sorry about the discription --- the trailer is 360 miles from my digital camera -- yes the pad is in a waterproof vinyl covering but sealed. the pad is four to five inches thick. yes it does bother me since it really reduces the walkway by four inches -- two inches from each pad.... the pad seems comfortable so i don't want to throw it out and it seems to be in good shape.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Charlie,

I would try to cut the waterproof covering and remove the cushion. Foam can be cut best with an electric knife - yes, the one you use on the turkey at Thanksgiving. I would the sew a seam back in the covering using some batting to add strength to the closure. You could even try a synthetic sealer made for plastic - I'm not sure what that would be - to maintain the water tight character.

Good luck.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #7

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
thanks joe,
my wife just took the turkey cutter and put it in the back of my pickup! our trailer is 360 miles away and when we visit our retirement property we work on our "new" AS.. problem is -- the availability of everything is at this end -- so when we get there we better have all bases covered.... we maintain a list of things to carry and of course it's twice as much as you need since you always need to cover your butt!! i have just decided that i am going to build my house up there -- originally i figured i'd have someone build it for us -- but the prices are way out of line ---supply and demand has the cost per square foot out of my budget!!! take care, tuna