Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question curtains replaced with venetains?

The curtains have to go! I would like to have venetians.

Has anyone else remodelled using venetians? I'm having logistical problems being that the hardware is in the way in the 1973 model we own. Has anyone found a way to install venetians over the hardware and lock the venetians at the bottom?
Elaine and Bohdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Elaine and Bohdan.

Caution must be used when using "venetian blinds."

First of all they must be tied down at the bottom.

Secondly, because the shell is curved, you can see in through the sides of the blinds.

Third, to prevent that, you must add "end panels."

Fourth, and worst, when you travel, the blinds will cut holes in the end panels. Not good.

That's why most owners choose to stay with the drapes. Drapes can be ordered for you from Airstream. You cannot buy from the factory, unless your in Jackson Center.

We can give you a price on a new set of drapes from Airstream, but we must have the trailer serial number first.

You can call us if you wish at 800-8777311.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Got new drapes for my Overlander from James Ambruso, they are easily found thru a web search, but be prepared to drop some change, almost six hundred bucks U.S.D. for my Overlander but well worth it in my opinion. Get your order in soon as it will take several months to get it out, they are that much in demand.

Don't think the venetian or mini blinds will work very well. If you really want to save some money I would go with roller shades, not ideal but probably the best choice or possibly adapt some pleated shades or accordion style shades.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thumbs down Been there, done that, don't try the blinds

One of the first things I did when we purchased our '70 Trade Wind was take down all the ugly green/gold curtains (much to my hubby's dismay - he thought they looked nice!) I purchased and installed vinyl mini-blinds for all the windows except the front. What a waste of time and money! They were constantly falling out of their brackets, they didn't fit the rounded contour of the trailer so anyone could look in...basically they were a big pain in the rump!!! I ordered the drapes from James Ambruso http://www.jpadrapes.com/. They were a little pricey but well worth every penny. Be prepared to wait if you decide to order. It took about five months to get my drapes but they are absolutely beautiful. You can't believe how nice they make our trailer look. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Good luck!
Debby
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We kept the drapes in our 1972 Overlander but added "day/nite" shades for the bathroom and bedroom areas, They are wonderful and we never move the drapes in the the bedroom. Just use them as side panels like Andy was talking about. Several folks here have made their own drapes and it worked just fine. Because our old drapes were a neutral color I just had to sew new linings for them and replace the slides as the plastic got brittle. Those Fiberglass drapes last forever. PO of our motorhome had sewn new drapes using the old ones as a pattern and they are beautiful. We are going to get day/nite shades all around there too but only as finances allow.
mareimn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Replacing Front Drapes

We have a local seamstress making a new set for us, for the front of the coach, using the old as patterns. Just last night, I removed one of the drapes covering the window next to one of the twin beds. I washed it in cold water, and am now letting it air dry. I'll see if it still fits tonight.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
twin beds window curtains

When I bought my '81 Excella 28'MH, the owner told me that the original PO said the Levolor 1" mini blinds were always there...I don't think so. My kids and I don't like them and we want to try to replace with the same time that are in the rest of the MH...that is draw drapes that sort of roll up. I don't know if they are day/night ones. Could someone tell me what those are?
Like Andy at Inland RV said, you can see in from the sides.
Andy, if you read this, what does A/S charge for these things. I may want to order from you, as my sewing days are over since I retired from the Army.
Thanks.
Also, I think that the rear bath window can stand blinds, as that darn roll down shade is a hassle to lock down for privacy. Just a thought.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TA-DA! Answer For Venetian Blind Gaps!

As you know, Airstream has been putting venetian blinds in it's newer SE and CCD Editions, and we all complain about the gaps on the sides. Last night the solution Finally jumped up and smacked me in the head.

The standard lock down brackets on the bottom hold the blind away from the side of the Airstream by 1 inch. Take them OFF. Cover with a small piece of Velcro (gray if you can find it). Put Velcro on the bottom rail of the Venetian blind and stick it to the wall - with the blinds open, tighten the cords, then close the blinds, which tightens them a bit more. Gap-osis on the sides is almost totally eliminated.

I put the prickly side on the wall, and wrapped a piece of the fuzzy side the whole way around the bottom rail at each end, so that I could stick the bottom to the wall open, closed up, or closed down.

Works like a charm. Now if they were only easier to clean.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
Debby or Chas - Would you be able to post a couple of pictures of the curtains you ordered? They only have 1 picture on their website, and I'd like ot see how they look in a 'real' trailer. Thanks, Jill
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Look up "Silver Threads" her name is Tammy she does great work and fair prices to boot.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1973 31' Sovereign
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Hi everyone! Just purchased a '73 31' Airstream and sold our 76 argosy. I am in need of the curtain clips for the top rail. I have the bottom clips however the top is different. (single slide) Any suggestions where I can purchase these? Thanks, Don
Don/Dawnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
There's two C and T you can get them at Outofdoorsmart.com

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Dawnita
Hi everyone! Just purchased a '73 31' Airstream and sold our 76 argosy. I am in need of the curtain clips for the top rail. I have the bottom clips however the top is different. (single slide) Any suggestions where I can purchase these? Thanks, Don

Looking at the side of the drape tabs, you will find two shapes.

As cataloged by Airstream, they are called "G" and "T" tabs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote