Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
Curtains or Blinds - What's Your Opinion/Experience?

Hi All,

We are at that point!! Our 29' 1988 Argosy is coming back together for a full time take off date of June 26th. Our plan is to stay in mellow temperature zones. This means we don't plan on spending a lot of time in really hot or really cold climates. With that said, I think we should put temperature protecting blinds in the trailer. My partner thinks we should put curtains in.

Looking for input on experience and preference.

Thanks everyone~
2018 Ram 2500 4X4
Soon to be Full Timers
ScottandMoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
What about both? Blinds for the practical temperature blocking, and curtains for overall aesthetics. Of course I love spending other people's money.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
LOL ~ that's what we are going to do but the curtains will be for decor in a few places rather than so much for function ~

Pricing out blinds right now.

I have priced at Blinds.com (cheap cheap) but have not talked to them about the quality of their product.

Priced out blinds at Blind Chalet (MCD brand) and they are about $1274. for the entire trailer.

Have yet to send measurements to Zacor (Oceanaire) but did talk to them today.

Anyone have feed back on comparison of Oceanaire vs. MCD?
2018 Ram 2500 4X4
Soon to be Full Timers
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Roller Blinds CAN beat venetian blinds, especially the weekly dusting chore. However the Ocenaire can get water damage and pets and kids? Errr?

Cheap blinds, replace when the mood strikes, or make cur-blinds. Remove the vinyl blind and replace with attractive fabric that has been stiffened by backing with a non-woven interfacing. Add fringe or trim.of your choice to the bottom, or as a valence.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottandMoni View Post
Anyone have feed back on comparison of Oceanaire vs. MCD?

@ScottandMoni - I cannot compare the two for you, but I can say that after more than 200 nights in our Globetrotter, our OceanAir shades still look like new. We open and close them everyday; however, both of us are careful with the shades. No kids or pets travel with us either. Our shades are always closed when in tow.
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If you're handy with a sewing machine, you can save lots of $$ DIY.

What I did for temperature control was to make curtains out of those reflective, foldable windshield sun blockers. The silvery look goes great with the AS aesthetic, and it protects the interior from UV damage, keeps the interior warmer in winter and cooler in summer. If you don't like the silver look, you can sew a cover fabric of your choice on the interior side. The backing also acts as blackout so if you want to sleep in on certain mornings, you can.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd like to replace the curtains on mine with curtains that fit. Evidently, Airstream discovered that fabric costs money, so less is better. When closed, my very expensive curtains are stretched as tight as the skin on a bongo drum. I see folks with nice curtains that actually have pleats and curves. I just can't justify $1000 for a new set.
I think the curtains need to be twice as wide as the windows to allow folds. I do like the track system Airstream uses to attach them. I'd even like two more panels front and back.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have room darkening shades and curtains for our sleeping area in the trailer. That way we can have windows open at night when mellow outside without shades banging, and just have the curtains closed so breeze comes in the bottom of the curtains. I made the curtains, but we bought the shades. The curtains are fastened down at the edges to keep shades in control, but hang free across the window when closed.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
Thanks everyone ~ my sewing machine broke and since we are heading out for full time I don’t want to get another. I priced roller blinds through Blind Chalet and it will be around $1100 to put blinds they the entire trailer 🤦*♀️ But I think they are necessary since this is going to be our home for the next year or so while we travel. I am sooo exhausted from the sale of the house and the hustle to finish the Argosy that the thought of a sewing project at this stage makes me want to run for the hills ~ even tho I could do it myself.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sometimes it's worth it to have something done that you know you could do, just to have it done. Don't feel guilty. You'll get your money's worth out of those blinds!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Argosy
brookdale , California
Thanks Kaye ~ ordered them a few days ago. Thinking I may make a few window treatments just for color when I have more time and energy 🥳
Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

What I did for temperature control was to make curtains out of those reflective, foldable windshield sun blockers. The silvery look goes great with the AS aesthetic, and it protects the interior from UV damage, keeps the interior warmer in winter and cooler in summer. If you don't like the silver look, you can sew a cover fabric of your choice on the interior side. The backing also acts as blackout so if you want to sleep in on certain mornings, you can.
Hi, those sunshade type window coverings sound so cool. Do you have any pictures of yours?!

Tim & Barb
THMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

Hi again....we are kind of new to searching around on this site and didn't see the pictures you already posted! Thanks so much! Really clever Happy Trails!
THMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Here's a few pics of the remodeled interior showing the reflectix type window curtains. You can either get a roll of reflectix or purchase car window shades and cut 2"-3" strips (depending on what you like) and sew (or fabric glue) together with strips of whatever material you like.

Apologies for the site not orienting the pics correctly.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I really like the reflectix style curtains with that refurbished interior.

My interior is nearly all original. I have roller shades and made my own set of traditional wrap around drapes.

See my blog 'DIY Drapes' for an extensive write-up on how they were made. Now seven years later, they still look new.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote