Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

1975 31' Sovereign
bradenton , Florida
Covid, dogs and couches

I had just welcomed my new dog into the airstream lifestyle when the virus hit the planet and working for Hertz, felt the impact to include a 1 year layoff. The dog and I bonded so completely that when the time came to go back to work, a problem began to show.

Separation anxiety. The dog would lay his head on the couch, looking out the front window. When he got bored with that, he just opened his mouth and took numerous bites out of the foam rubber back of the couch. That piece of foam is gone and I need to get a replacement.

Need to know where to go to get some foam? I also do not have the original piece to use as a template for fitment.

Should I use a 1/8" backer board to firm up the back? Or, will the new 5" foam be sufficient? The old foam was 5" and the bottom of the couch is still good.

If he eats the new stuff, we just might see an ad for a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Thanks ahead
steve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

1975 31' Sovereign
bradenton , Florida
sorry,,,forgot to say Trailer is '75 sovereign 31

Forgive me serious air streamers,,,,

The Trailer is '75 Sovereign 31 feet.

Steve
steve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I would take the damaged cushion to a local upholstery shop and get their advice.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Put your dog in a good size crate. Get the dog something to chew on that’s safe. Our young puppy we got at 6 mos had the same issue. He’s now fine. But you want your dog in a crate to make dog feel safe while gone, prevent chewing something you don’t want, but also to keep the dog safe from chewing something that would hurt dog’s health.

Then after awhile leave for a shore time when dog is not in a crate. They will get the idea you are coming back.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
There are many on line retailers of quality foam. We have used Foam Factory with good results. We did put a 1/2" plywood backer inside the backrest cushion Same with the seat cushion. The thing pulls out to make a sleeping surface

A good upholstery shop will make short work of repairing your "travel lounge" as Airstream calls it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1907 Curtains Gaucho-800x600.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	410686  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Work on the dog as well as the Airstream! Dogs with separation anxiety will continue to chomp, chew and be destructive if you don't do anything about their issues.

A crate is a good place to start, but even that can be an issue if the dog either barks the entire time or starts eating the crate (seen it happen!). You have to work with them, the crate means you'll be back and they don't get out until they are quiet and patient (instead of throwing their entire body weight at the door while barking, trying to break out). Treats help, leaving the dog in for short periods of time in the crate when you are there. Rule #1-Never let them out when they are screaming (slobbering, crying, digging), that teaches them that all they have to do is make more noise and you'll give up.

Chainmail upholstery works, but that pup will happily munch on wood trim, drawers or cupboard doors if the nervous behavior isn't addressed.

My daughter had a pitbull/buzzsaw who chomped on everything, but his favorite treat was eating the trim around doors and leaving tooth marks in the door handles when she was gone. Crate training took a while, but eventually she could leave him without worrying about what he was going to destroy next.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Piedmont area , North Carolina
A really good with practical advice training book - What all good dogs should know".
DogMomDeb is offline   Reply With Quote