Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
candler , North Carolina
Covering interior with aluminun sheets

Hello all,
I wanted to brighten up my 79argosy 6.7 minuet. So I bought a sheet of 24 gauge 4' by 10' aluminun from my hvac supplier. I cut and riveted a piece over the stove and sink area and it turned out rather nice. I drilled out the existing rivets, removed the screen and plugs and installed the new aluminun.
I would like to go futher but I was wondering If this would be taken away from its origanality? The walls were in good shape but after looking at the new interiors of AS the aluminun grows on you.
The cost of the sheet was about 70.00. I plan to insert a piece on the frig door as well. Seems like a cheap way to brighten up an interior. ANY THOUGHTS???

Jeff
jeffinwnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinwnc
Hello all,
I wanted to brighten up my 79argosy 6.7 minuet. So I bought a sheet of 24 gauge 4' by 10' aluminun from my hvac supplier. I cut and riveted a piece over the stove and sink area and it turned out rather nice. I drilled out the existing rivets, removed the screen and plugs and installed the new aluminun.
I would like to go futher but I was wondering If this would be taken away from its origanality? The walls were in good shape but after looking at the new interiors of AS the aluminun grows on you.
The cost of the sheet was about 70.00. I plan to insert a piece on the frig door as well. Seems like a cheap way to brighten up an interior. ANY THOUGHTS???

Jeff
Jeff
I wouldn't worry about keeping it Original, make it what you want it to be. We have 2 Argosy's' and I figure be comfortable with the interior. I'm not sure but if I were to replace the vinyl clad I think I would upgrade the insulation. Bare aluminum sheet can get pretty cold to the touch. To be honest I don't care for it, unless someone would give me a CCD then I'd Love it. I am looking for a warm and casual feel and the bare sheet just doesn't do it. So if you want it, go for it. I'm not sure if 24 gage is thick enough to keep it's shape. Do a search for interior aluminum sheet. If I measure right I think it is .032" don't know what gage that would be.
Good Luck
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Just took a walk downstairs to take a look at some 5052-H32 sheet I used for bellypan. The "look" doesn't closely resemble the clearcoated aluminum in my Special Edition. My opinion is that the metallic interiors collect a film from plastics and cooking that needs careful cleaning. Like Gary I'd say you'd want to re-work the insulation. Next there'd be the wiring... this would be huge to accomplish a single change in appearance.

It's commonly available in .032". Bellypan was actually .025" though usually has to be ordered. I've worked with .032" -- it takes a simple curve well enough. .025" would probably be too flexible given the space between ribs. Tin snips won't produce a finished look. You'd be taking on a big job and it would just about take air tools and a good compressor.

The inside of the end cap and all that mid-70s airliner cabinetry and cheap veneers might look strange by comparison when you were finished.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
After spending a couple of nights in below freezing temps recently, we've found that the aluminum inside walls of a CCD can be a little uncomfortable for a couple of reasons. First, they will sweat directly under the windows where the cold air drops off the window and chills the panel surface. It will sweat enough so that the bedding directly under the window will be damp by morning. We found the same situation will develop under the dinette windows, as well. Secondly, the metal wall in the sleeping area, when you roll over against it at night, is COLD. If you do any amount of cold weather camping, you may want to consider these factors when deciding where to recover the interior with metal.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote