Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Clifton , Texas
Caps for seams along walls inside

My 2008 AS Classic has a lot of seams, especially in the rear bedroom. My demo is now complete and was thinking that I would just reuse the caps. That isn’t going to happen, once removed, they do not want to go back in.

I have two questions…1. Why do I need to refill the seams to begin with, in other words can I just wall paper over?

2. If I do need to replace with new strips that will actually work, where do you get them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	407455
Eagle Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Woodside , California
I have the same configuration. I was able to reuse them by carefully fitting the cover extrusion into the receiving channel - starting at one end and tapping it in with a rubber mallet (cover the head with tape to avoid leaving marks). Once it is seated it might take a good wack to get it in - but make sure it is seated in the channel to avoid bending the plastic.

Optionally, there was another thread where someone bought aluminum strips from Home Depot and exposed rivets. You might also check out transition strips in the flooing section of your box hardware or flooring store. They have all kinds of hardware you might adapt in all different materials and colors.
Oasf60 is offline   Reply With Quote