Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
San Francisco , California
Blinds for my 1964 Safari

Hi Folks,

Happy 4th!

I'm currently restoring my Airstream and would like to replace some of the curtains (I made some curtains for the front windows) with 2" metal blinds. My problem is that the handle to open and shut the windows sticks out quite a bit from the wall and in order to clear that handle, I'm afraid the blinds will also stick out and there will be gaps at the sides. The place where I'm ordering the blinds from does offer a piece of hardware that allows you to mount the blinds away from the wall. But this won't be great for privacy.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Or am I going to have to toil away and make 10 more curtains...noooooo!!! ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Nina
Neenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Nina ~

I know all about the labourious task of making drapes! I just finished them for our '64 GlobeTrotter. We installed 1/2" micro mini-blinds over our stove, different from your plan for 2" blinds I know, but we adapted a few of the drapery slides to install the blinds. This seems to work out pretty well and doesn't effect the cranks or latches for the windows.

I have photos & desciptions of what we did on our website:

www.insideout-design.net/maxwell Click on "During" then "Draperies"

Good luck with your project!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
End panels solve the "privacy" issue, but metal blinds will usually cut holes in the drapes when traveling.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Shari,

You are my inspiration! What a beautiful renovation! Also, I love the dinette idea - cause I would like to use my Safari for a home/office. So, finding a spot for a nice workspace makes sense. I'm just not sure if I want to lose the second sleeping spot.

In re: to the blinds - what about the the window hardware - like the handle which opens and shuts the window? I can't see it sticking through your blind in the pictures, but I'm pretty sure that if I were to install blinds, the handle would stick through the blind and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem. Do you not have one like mine (by the way - our Airstreams look very similar on the inside)?

Also, I'm curious about your refrigerator. We're trying to get ours out - it seem to be stuck in there at this point (I'm sure we'll figure it out). I'd like to put in a smaller refrigerator and am looking into getting one. But I love the door on yours. What is that? Is that a screen that you had made? Tell all...:-)

Thanks so much!

Nina
Old 07-30-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Andy,

Thanks for the info. Its much appreciated. What do you mean by "end panels" exactly? And when you say that the blinds will tear the curtains during travel - do you mean if you put blinds and curtains on the same window? I'm assuming that's what you mean and I will only be using one or the other so that won't be a problem. Let me know about the end panels.

Thanks so much!

Nina
Old 07-30-2002, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Nina ~

Thanks for your kudos on our "restoration" I would love to compare trailers...do you have pictures posted anywhere? I find that even though they are the same year & model each one has it's own individuality...I love to check 'em all out at rallies!

Anyway, in answer to your questions ~

The window crank & latch are both there and as we found them...we didn't change a thing. They fit behind the micro-mini blind just fine. We do have to raise the blind to access them, however they don't poke through at all. The micro-mini blind is only 1/2" which would make a difference if you were to use 2" blinds, because the blind centers on the drapery track the way we installed it.

With regards to our refrigerator, it's just the original Dometic and it has a plastic laminate face that matches the countertops & table...a solid taupey-beige color ~ nothing special.

It you wnat me to send you any additional photos of the crank & latch, let me know & I will do so...

Good luck with your progress....

Shari
Old 07-30-2002, 11:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Hi Shari,

Ok, I just posted some "before" shots of my interior in the member's photos section. I hope you can find them. The trailer is all torn up now - but you can see that it wasn't in terrible shape before. I just want it to be totally beautiful! I'm sure you can relate..:-)

I'll let you know about the crank - I'll need to look at mine again but maybe you're right and it won't get in the way.

Thanks again for the info - I have a feeling you're going to be a great resource! By the way, your website is fabulous.

Take care,

Nina
Old 07-31-2002, 12:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Nina ~

Your photos look GREAT! Amazing how similar the interior of your Safari is to our GlobeTrotter...I guess it makes sense, they are the same year.

Anyway, thanks for posting them ~ I look forward to seeing new posts showing off your handi-work.

Let me know if I can be of any help...

Shari
Old 07-31-2002, 09:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Nina. Blinds are usually fastened at the bottom. That leaves a gap at the side of the shades. The wall is curved, the shades are straight, which results in a gap. End drape or curtain panels tend to block that gap.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Shari- love your interior, and the ingenuity on mountng those blinds.
My wife and I put a fair amount of thought into remounting the tracking pieces on our airstream's side window blinds. The woven woods were original and in pretty good shape, other than needing a cleaning, but the tracking pieces that ride up and down the rail and keep the drape riding on the curve were broken.
We used trim cement and glued the elastic straps to the inside of the blind edges, and then to the part of the tracking piece still left in the track. It works well and has held up over the past few months of high heat. I found you can finesse the track inserts into the track without removing the whole thing, and never broke any.
Great to see what you all can do to the interiors!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Hi Shari,

Well, here I am asking for more advice! I'm looking for some caps so that I can remake my shower curtain. Did you remake yours? I can't seem to find them in any local hardware store - including Home Depot - but I did find them on-line here - http://www.snapfastener.com/snaps/caps.htm. Unfortunately, I've tried to order them a couple of times and I get no response. Do you have any ideas where to get them? Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Hope all's well.

Nina
Old 08-01-2002, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
'64 GlobeTrotter Shower Curtain...

Nina ~

As a matter of fact...I did make a shower curtain...just last week!

I was fortunate to have the original slider-tabs in the track, so I just re-used them. I did not however have the old curtain itself, so I have no idea what it's supposed to look like...I've never seen an original, except in pictures on the web where it's all bunched up by the sink. I always wondered why they don't bunch it to the other end so it doesn't block the sink and look so sloppy? Oh well...

I don't know what you mean by "caps" and the link you provided to the webpage did not work for me...I assume they attach to the "male" part of the snaps I see on my shower stall wall. I've wondered what those were for....

If the "caps" are the "female" part of the snaps, I would think that a large fabric store would have them. You may need to drill out the rivet of the old "male" parts and replace them to go with new "female" part so that they match.

All I did for my shower curtain was make a template of the curved portion of the ceiling and cut down a standard vinyl one. I then stitched bias tape along the cut edges to reinforce it. And added the slider-tabs at approximately 6" on center & "ta da" it was done! It only took about an hour...it doesn't wrap around by the faucet how I think the original ones do (?), but it looks & works fine.

I did take pictures of the tabs and finished curtain, but I don't have them on our webpage yet and they are at home so I can post a follow-up later to show what the tabs look like.

Shari

P.S. If anybody has an original shower curtain and can share a pattern, I would love to re-make mine to match the original at some point.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Hey Shari,

Actually the piece I'm talking about is a grommet-like "cap" which is used so that the shower curtain can slide in the track on the curved ceiling. The tracks fine but I can't get the "caps" out of the old shower curtain to try to save them - so I need to find new ones. Is that a better description? Maybe if you try just re-typing that link I gave you last time in your browser, it will take you there and you can see what I'm talking about.

Hey, once I make my shower curtain which won't be long once I get those caps - I'll send you my old one. That would be no problem as I was just going to throw it away.

Thanks,

Nina
Old 08-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Typing it in worked....Thx.

I see now what you are talking about...but my sliders are totally different! Maybe they were replaced somewhere along the way???
I don't know...

If you wouldn't mind sending me your old curtain, that would be GREAT! I will gladly pay shipping costs....

Contact me via email offline when you are ready to send it & I'll give you my address...

Shari

P.S. I worked entirely too late last night (this morning actually) to post the picture of my tabs, I will try to do that later today...
Old 08-02-2002, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Here are my shower curatin tabs...don't know if they are original or not...they work great! They are plastic and measure about 5/8"-3/4" in length...they kinda remind me of a "hot melt glue stick" type plastic. The round/thicker part that fits in the track is just over 1/8" in diameter.

Shari

P.S. I will be updating my webpage to show more of the "shower-curtain mini-project" soon.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2002, 03:53 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Shower Curtains

I have been following this thread with great interest since I am unhappy with the shower curtain in my new International.

I had a similar shower curtain in my last trailer and replaced it with a thin Vanilla-colored, fabric curtain I bnought at Wally-Mart. The replacement was expensive as shower curtains go, but it was much less bulky than the crinkly plastic one and actually dried much faster than the one it replaced. The fabric curtain was soft and draped nicely out of the way.

Since my trailer is new, I should be able to remove the hangers from the present curtain and attach them to the replacement. I hope I have enough.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
Shari,
I really like your 1/2" blind solution over the sink. Do you happen to have the measurements of the blind you installed? (We have a 65 Caravel and want to double check our measurements before ordering.)

Also, did you consider a blind in the bath area? We are concerned that a drape will get wet when showering and will get moldy.

Thanks,
Keith
Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smile Shower Curtain

I did go ahead and replace the Airstream supplied shower curtain with a vanilla-colored fabric curtain I bought at Wally-Mart. The new curtain is much softer than the crinkly old curtain and stows more neatly. I removed the sliders from the old curtain and bought several additional sliders at the dealer since the new curtain is quite a bit larger than the original. It was easy to sew the sliders and a strip of white velcro fuzz to the curtain.

The new curtain has little suction cups along the edges. It is big enough that I can stick the suction cups to the shower wall and completely cover the commode in my wet bath as well as attach it further around on the front wall. As a result, my wet bath is now a semi-dry bath. If I am a bit careful aboout where I aim the spray, the bathroom stays quite dry.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Keith ~

I don't remember the exact size of the mini-blind off hand and Maxwell is "hibernating" right now. I believe it was about 30" wide x 24" high, but I would suggest measuring your window anyway because, from my experience, even if the trailers were the same model & year, the windows could be different sizes. We were at a rally this last summer with thre "exact same", '64 GlobeTrotters, and each of them were different.

With regards to the bathroom...we haven't had a problem with the curtain getting wet (or moldy, but we are in arid Colorado, not much mold anywhere)...but we are both adults, (no kids) and are careful not to get it wet. We went back and forth on the drape vs blind and decided to go with the drape for now, who knows, we may go back & put in a mini-blind someday. The concern with the blind was water spots & corrosion or rusting of the mechanism. Another thought we had and may do someday is a roller shade....for now the drapes are fine.

Does your Caravel have a separate shower compartment off to the side or is it the kind that includes the whole toilet area in the center of the room? I would think this could make a difference too...does the window area get drenched or is it off to the side (like ours).

I have more pictures & descriptions on our webpage (www link below) as well as a link to the supplier of our blinds in the "During" section.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Shari
Old 09-18-2003, 04:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Anyone know where replacement for original AS blinds can be bought??

Thanks,

Tags
1964, 1964 safari