Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Best EndCap Paint & Shower Coating?

I have looked over the past posts using the search engine and found several approaches that made good sense.

For the yellowed end caps with cracks - repair with a plastic weld (AlanSD) with a backing if you can get in behind it (mine is too tight to do much inserting),

Then after preparation (see j54Mark's messages), maybe best to use the Krylon Fusion “Dover White” either as a primer or several coats for the finish.

An alternative is to use Rustoleum ‘paint for plastics’ color “Shell White” #211364. Any experience as to the best choice of the two?

Or maybe one could use the Krylon as the primer and the Rustoleum as the finish coat.

I had thought about using the Por-15 WhiteCote on the endcaps, but the rep said that only hardnose paints can be mixed with WhiteCote. They do have a hardnose beige that can be blended. (And it is $$ expensive).

For the Shower stall and the oval bath sink (ABS), some have used the Kryson fusion paints but I have a concern for longevity.

What are the votes for WhiteCote over the Fusion for the bath area? I’m thinking the Fusion is much thinner and more prone to scratch off, and the Por Whitecote will hold up better. Any experience? What do you say?

Notes: Por-15.com Marine Clean Gal $19. WhiteCote 2-part hardnose paint qt=$45. PorStrip for the top (safe for Aluminum & fiberglass) $13Qt, $31Gal. (Balgrn)
MarineClean all bath area and POR Solvent prior to WhiteCote (balgrnA/S). Por15 Solvent $10 qt. (Stall & Sink is ABS plastic.)

Thanks for your input on this well talked about project!!

Steve in Sav’h
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
What did you end up using and how did it hold up?
Trying to research the subject throughout the forums.
Have Caravel 66' with end caps/rear toilet/shower/sink in back.

Jerri
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote