Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Bedding/Cushion advice offered

As new owners of a vintage coach, we have been mining this forum for tips, techniques and ideas. The quality of information we have found and the sense of community on this website are just overwhelming.

I'm sure I speak for many newbies when I say "Thank you!!".

So I sez to myself, I sez "How can I give back to the forum?"

I've worked in the bedding business for nearly 20 years -- for the company that manufactures Talalay latex foam. This is the material with the holes in it that was supplied in many vintage trailers. I just threw out our 43 year old latex foam cushions when we bought the '63 Globetrotter last fall.

I'm not in sales and actually have some good things to say about competitive products. I'd be happy to provide an industry insider's view to your questions.

63GT
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Ok, I’ll start.
I plan to replace all the cushions in my 64 Safari this summer. I could use some knowledgeable advice on purchasing good quality comfortable sleeping foam for the gaucho bed and front dinette/bed cushions.

Where to buy (in Northern California), how to buy, what kind, manufacturers, quality etc.

I don’t know what to ask for other than upholstery foam.
I would expect bedding foam might be better and more comfortable/supportive.
I don’t need a NASA bed but a good nights sleep and comfortable seating.
I know there are different densities of upholstery foam but know little more.
The side gaucho bed, bed back and dinette/bed bottom cushions are 4”.
The dinette back cushions are 6”.

Thank you, Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Here's another question: What might be good options for softening the twin beds on our new Safari? Foam with knobby surface? Solid foam? Memory foam? Wait for Select Comfort to make Airstream-compatible twin mattresses?

Okay, there was more than one question, but only one theme.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
There are three different foams to consider. Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Polyurethane foam is the least expensive and lightest option available. The vast majority of furniture contains this product. Many spring mattresses have a layer of this foam above the innersprings. If weight and/or cost are your highest priority, this is your choice.

Memory foam, generically temperature-sensitive or visco-elastic foam, is best known as Temperpedic or NASA foam. It is heavier but more supportive than polyurethane. It has a very distinctive feel. There is a concern in the industry about the quality of some of the knock-offs. I’d recommend sticking with Temperpedic, Sealy’s TrueForm or a product from Leggett & Platt. Ask your distributor for the name of their source – walk if they don’t share it with you. I’m sure there are other good visco products, but I’m unfamiliar with other products.

I admit to a bias about Latex Foam, having slept on it for most of my life. It does have the “natural story”, but the comfort is what does it for me. It is the heaviest of the lot, weighing in at about 5 pounds per cubic foot. I believe it is the longest lasting.

The choice of visco-elastic or latex is a personal one. When you are lying still, the difference is not discernable by the average consumer. The difference appears when you roll over. Proponents of latex say that visco forms a crater that is hard to roll out of, proponents of visco say that latex is too bouncy.

What did Wally do? The gaucho foam that I just threw out was a foam sandwich. The outer “bread” was 2” of latex. The center was a lighter polyurethane core. Like many of his innovations, it was a well designed balance of weight and performance.

Walter: I’ll have to check with our salespeople about good upholsterers in Northern California. I’m on the right coast.

Walter and Mike – both of you addressed the toughest part of the decision – how to choose the right comfort level. The industry standard measure is something called ILD. For our purposes, it ranges from 10 to 50. A pillow is a 10, a soft topper like Mike wants is a 20. A 4” bed for a 150 pound person should be about a 28-30. For a 220 pound person, it should be about a 36. Our customers who prefer a brick choose a 45. I do warn you that the previous numbers are a rough guideline and are very generic!

Often, a supplier will let you lie on a sample of foam to see how comfortable it is. It can prevent some very expensive mistakes.

63GT
Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I was looking for some new foam to replace the old double stacked 3 inch foam couch/fold down beds, they are getting real flat in time, any ideas???
Old 01-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
sfc31-
Do you have pics? I'm not sure what your trailer had.
63GT
Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic
alexandria , Virginia
I have a 2004 30 foot Clasic and need to find fitted sheets. Those dam sheets just keep coming off. Does anyone know where I can d find some???
kbraunusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sheet Garters!

Don't want to hijack the thread, but there are several sources of EXPENSIVE fitted sheets for Airstreams. I fulltime and am "thrifty"... not cheap, "thrifty".

I recently changed over from a 22ft CCD (full) to a 25ft Safari front bedroom Special Edition (queen). The 22 footer taught me that standard sheets, even the expensive ones with high thread count designed for pillowtop mattresses don't exactly fit on the non standard curved end Airstream mattresses.

I really don't like high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets... they are very soft but the fabric pills after many washings. They are also clingy, and as many Airstreamers report problems with high humidity inside, a clingy sheet is undesirable! For the new one, I went to Sam's club and found the CHEAP white poly-cotton blend "hotel sheets" for a queen... Six FLAT sheets for about $40. I flip the mattress up on it's side, drape the bottom sheet over and using long sheet garters clip the sides of the sheet together under the mattress, I then use 4 standard sheet garters at the corners and have a military tucked bottom sheet that stays tight. The top sheet I just throw over the mattress and safety pin to the bottom sheet underneath the mattress. Most of the time I sleep under just the sheet. I can pull the coverlet up and make the bed quickly when I get up.

Oh, long sheet garters - just replace the 9 inch elastic with a piece that's 20-30" long, or clip two standard ones together.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I replaced all the foam on my '74. My father in law, in the furniture sales business, went to a foam supplier with our existing foam so it could be cut to match. He told me he got us "the best money could buy". He mailed us one of the smaller pieces to admire before he delivered the rest. Looked and felt really good. I was excited about brand new, clean, uniform and firm bedding. I don't know the exact "type" of foam, only know it was new foam - did no research - first time restoration project. A local seamstress was making new covers for all the upholstery. When she inserted the foam into the new covers and zipped them up, the mattresses became so firm you could bounce an anvil off of them. After a few trips out, we had to purchase a top layer of faom (egg crate) to put underneath the sheets when we made the bed. It was like sleeping on a granite counter top. Foam, looked and felt great, but when compressed by the covers, it just rocked up. It must have been a super, high density poly urethane. Looked great, no wrinkles, fabric shifting and nice and firm for sitting. Take this into consideration.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
ShastaRam

1974 27' Overlander
Redding , California
Cool Clean or replace gauchos?

I have just read this thread because I am considering replacing my foam in an 1974 Overlander. The covers are in great shape, but despite shaking out and beating the foam, it smells from 30 plus years of ownership from a heavy smoker. No offense, I am just allergic and to smoke and cannot sleep through a night although the bed still holds its shape and is still comfortable. Does anyone have a cleaning solution in place of replacing the foam. I am confident the material cover can be dry cleaned again if I have to. I have repaired a minor spot of dry rot under one window, replaced the shag carpet, and check the insulation for wetness, it is fine. I believe dealing with the gauchos is the next repair, as the lingering cigerette smell seems to be coming from the foam.
rmurphymai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
A friend of mine works at one of the aforementioned foam factories. She got me replacement matresses (slabs-o-foam) for my bunks...gonna get the gaucho cussions replaced sometime soon. anyway, the stuff is like a granite slab. (which is good, imo!). not sure what type it is, other than to say it is not memory foam. Its the "free" kind.

But just out of curiosity...why would NASA need fancy foam mattresses? Astronauts in 0-gravity don't need "support"....the only pictures of sleeping astronauts that I've seen, they're simply teathered to a wall, so they don't float into stuff. (kind of creepy looking, actually...)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GT
There are three different foams to consider. Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Polyurethane foam is the least expensive and lightest option available. The vast majority of furniture contains this product. Many spring mattresses have a layer of this foam above the innersprings. If weight and/or cost are your highest priority, this is your choice.

63GT
My question is this.

What is Airsteam using now and is it different from what they used in 1961. Okay fine then... How Different?

My statement is.

I should have kept my old mattress. I just figured after 40 plus years it had to be buggy or worse. Well, I gave it to someone and he is still using it and I am jealous because I HATE my new, very firm foam. A brick to sleep on and after just a couple of years it has a permanent grove from sitting/sleeping on it. RATS!

I am going to redo soon.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I'm investigating getting a quality 2" Memory Foam topper for my 22' CCD front bed. I'm sure it'll have to be specially cut to conform to the rounded corners. Does anyone know of an on-line manufacturer/dealer that sells these custom toppers?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #14

1966 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
rseagle - The best way to cut memory foam is with an electric turkey cutter. I suggest purchasing the 2in topper at Costco and cutting it yourself...That's what I did for my rear twins.
Skidrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
plano , Texas
Where to buy pre-cut gaucho bed cushions

My 1971 Overlander 27 did not have the old cushions for the rear gaucho bed/couch. Does anyone have these cushions pre-cut so I can make sure I have the correct size. Does anyone have an old set I can copy?

Thanks,
2005 F150 Supercab w/ 5.4L, Tow Pkg, B&M Tran Temp, K&N Intake, JBA Exhaust, Hyperdyne Chip, Equalizer Hitch (Dorothy)
bbutler455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #16
Eartha

Hello,
I am new to this, and not sure if I am posting my question correctly!
I have a 1963 Overlander. I think all the sliding or "jacknifing" wood structure is in place for my front gaucho, but I must have foam cut and upholstered. Does anyone have a pattern I coould take to the foam shop? It's expensive, and I'd I'd hate to make a mistake. I've seen some gauchos that have arms to the sofa as well. That would be nice! Thanks for your help. I really enjoy reading the forums, though this is my first question. Thanks. Binny binbin@sonic.net
binbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #17

1979 29' Ambassador
hallettsville , Texas
We have a 1979 29/28' Ambassador which we dearly love and she has been on several long distance trips. The couch and everything (except hot water heater) are original, for which we thank heavens! However, the foam has collapsed on the couch and I'm not crazy about the upholstery fabric; the couch is done in 2 lg pieces of foam, 1 for the back and one to sit on; I've received an estimate to redo it of $600+, which seems excessive; has anyone had better luck? sue flanagan
sue flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Another bed cushion question. The center pull out double on our Argosy 24 uses the separate rear cushion to make up the bed. If two people are using it this leave a crack right down the middle of where you sleep

Any ideas on how to make this more comfortable, besides making your partner sleep on that side

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

But just out of curiosity...why would NASA need fancy foam mattresses? Astronauts in 0-gravity don't need "support"....the only pictures of sleeping astronauts that I've seen, they're simply teathered to a wall, so they don't float into stuff. (kind of creepy looking, actually...)
My understanding is that the foam was designed for the seats of the shuttle to help distrubute the extreme g forces expierenced on the body on launch and re-entry.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Memory Foam

Overstock.com has memory foam (different manufacturers in 2-3-4 inch depths and T/F/K. I found them much less expensive than Costco but haven't checked lately. We love ours. We bought an expensive mattress for our home (so tall I have to use a stepstool !) But it was too firm. The memory foam makes it perfect (though now I do really have to jump into bed! You can put a fitted sheet just around the foam and it holds well.

peo
pattyo is offline   Reply With Quote