Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
I finally got a chance to go back to the storage facility and take a look at how we put the drapes on. It turns out that we did have some of the panels upside down. When I corrected their positions and orientations, they fit perfectly. So I take back my assumption that there was some shrinkage. Since that's the case, I have nothing bad to say about washing your own late-model Safari/International drapes.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
I took the Oxyclean advice, (Thank you...I better click that button) hot water to activate, cold water to soak, clothesline to dry and 40 years of stuff came out. Smell and gross is gone. Still not "new", but better...Shrinkage does not see to be a problem. (I can't get that Seinfeld episode out my mind now..haha "I was in the pool...." haha) I too can't decide on what I'm going to do for a fabric, but I'm a DIY kinda guy and my sixth grade home-ed teacher once said that she'd never seen a better sewn button..... With that advice I have helpful sisters and a mother-in-law to be that have all offered help. I can't see spending $800+ . . that money will be spent on something I cant do.....or better yet on a PK Grill.

Now if someone could send me to a place that has design ideas... That would be helpful. Is there a AS interior designer out there? What did people wear in 1969? or better yet what did their living room look like in 1969? Is 1969 more like the '70's or is more like the 60's? My quest continues. . .
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1300
hi
i have just finished making curtains for my argosy and they are fanastic!!! I used the old ones as a pattern. I only issue was the snaps as I could not find them in at the material store. Does anyone know where they can be found.
Camping world

Sent from my iPad using AIR Forums
ritasmith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Cool Airstream curtains

My wife is making new ones now, we got the snaps at Joann Fabric shops for our 68 safari. There are differant sizes, so be take a old one. Good luck
trapperman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Cadet , Missouri
Ok, I had a lady to come out and look at the drapes in the camper she suggested I use sunbrella fabric. She wanted to line them in vinyl (yuck). By the time she gave me her price I've decided to wash all the front curtains in oxyclean. Replace the twin bed curtains and put binds up above the sink window and bathroom window. So i'll let you know how the washing goes.

TAC-MO-08
WBCCI-29835
Love shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Cadet , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love shack
Ok, I had a lady to come out and look at the drapes in the camper she suggested I use sunbrella fabric. She wanted to line them in vinyl (yuck). By the time she gave me her price I've decided to wash all the front curtains in oxyclean. Replace the twin bed curtains and put binds up above the sink window and bathroom window. So i'll let you know how the washing goes.
K, I used the oxiclean method and there fresher smelling but still a yellow color. Does any one know if there a cream or a white? I read how some were surprised they turned out white. Mine are a creamy yellow. Is that the color there supposed to be?

TAC-MO-08
WBCCI-29835
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #67
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love shack View Post
K, I used the oxiclean method and there fresher smelling but still a yellow color. Does any one know if there a cream or a white? I read how some were surprised they turned out white. Mine are a creamy yellow. Is that the color there supposed to be?
The original color was a very light "ivory".

They were very close to the color of a "manila folder".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Cadet , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

The original color was a very light "ivory".

They were very close to the color of a "manila folder".

Andy
Thank you for the help!

TAC-MO-08
WBCCI-29835
Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #69

1983 34' Limited
Raleigh , North Carolina
we took out our sofa had it recovered & now we can't remember how to re-install it do you know how? this looks kind of like ours - the back piece which folds over is the issue
yonallycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . .An update on previous post concerning JPA Drapes, who advertise in Blue Beret. A fellow Streamer @ Springstream said just call them, so I did. Very nice lady, 1 woman gang kind of a deal. She sent samples, took my measurements, provided prices all in very short order. (NOT CHEAP) We are going to order tomorrow and will post the results when it happens., regards, Craig
Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonallycamp
we took out our sofa had it recovered & now we can't remember how to re-install it do you know how? this looks kind of like ours - the back piece which folds over is the issue
I did same, if drawer you have to bold all four legs with the opening toward ya! Gave mine away and bought two lazy boy reclines with the circle on bottom for stable balance an can bolt them Dow! When bolting sofa down get in the opening to get to holes on foot, if you have younger one ask for help!
ritasmith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . as a follow-up on my drape order mentioned previously,(#70) I received my new drapes from JPA Drapes, and I'm VERY pleased. they are terrific, fit perfectly and SWMBO loves them I paid a little premium for a hurry up job an got them in 1 week. I would recommend them to anyone. Regards, Craig
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yonallycamp;
Not sure if you got your "Jacknife" couch back together, but it really is possible even without good manual...
1. Set the drawer and arms aside, as they are last items to go in...
2. Base gets mounted back to floor using old holes and screws first.
3. The scissor/swinging arms are bolted first to floor, and then angle brackets with two holes are screwed into wooden back of couch back cushion. (Not easy to hold in position where you can screw from behind into cushion backing..)
4. Then drawer underneath gets slid under, and finally armrests get slid in and screwed to floor with tabs...

Wish I'd taken photo's as I was doing ours, as it would be much easier to show than describe...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
in the process of washing curtains from my 1989 345LE Classic Airstream motorhome. So far so good, nothing has fallen apart, all of the clips are still there. BAD stains on the curtains, guessing from condensation on the windows over the years. 6 down, 4 more to go. Front Loader LG washing machine, and Oxyclean.
Thanks for all of the tips, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Wow - our new curtains from Tammy at Silver Threads really made a huge difference in hour our interior looks! She did a fabulous job and was super nice to work with! I didn't trust my measurements so ended up taking out the existing curtains and sending those to her to use as a pattern. I purchased my own fabric -- I found a champagne faux shantung silk at Britex in San Francisco that ended up looking amazing. I also got a cool tapestry pattern fabric and recovered the valances with the help of a friend and a staple gun! Next project -- getting that "sofa" redone -- milk chocolate ultra suede is going to be the fabric - will look/feel good and hide the dirt!!

Note: The curtains are perfect - I just didn't get a chance to really make them look perfect before I had to take some quick pics 'cuz hubby was taking Stella back to storage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtains New (2).jpg
Views:	312
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	143612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curtains New (1).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	143613  

Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags