Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Lufkin , Texas
Thanks Bob...

...Hope you're having a good time in our Lone Star State. Sure is a pretty day!
My folding table used to reside on the opposite side. I removed the silly thing when it tried to eat me alive
We have nothing under our couch area but the inverter and the battery, so there will be plenty of storage space. The idea of a nice shelf directly behind the couch is genius! I'll build it into my plan.
And thanks to you too, Mr. "Not-Bob" for nixing the notion of built-in endtable/ledges. The surface area should be as long as possible to allow napping, beverages can be placed on the ledge BEHIND the sofa!
Let the projects begin!
maztoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Ambruso Drapes

100% satisfied. The fit was subperb and very nice material and liner. Made a world of difference in the appearance of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom29640.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	15976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living29640.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	15977  

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Rich,

Those drapes are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what they look like mounted in my rig.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Lufkin , Texas
Wow....

Rich,
Quoting Frederic... "GORGEOUS" !
The contrast between nice new drapes and my ABS end-cap, which has aged to a truly hideous peachy/mustard color
oi vey...
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
strongsville , Ohio
I guess I started quite a discussion about drapes. I don't think my trailer is worth the work of a professional. All the rails have been removed and I have to improvise . The trailer needs a cosmetic lift inside and not at an expense that it's value calls for. In fact, I hope to replace this trailer with a newer one and use this one as storage. Drapery is not a hard project for me , I've been doing them for years. Here's my facts and figures. In order to do this project depending on the width of fabric I choose , I will need 30-35 yards. Do the math, If yardage costs say 10/yd we are talking 350.00 and that doesn't include thread , snaps, and the backing to stiffen where the pleats, velcro are and the lining.. Judging from what I did in the past, I used muslin to make gorgeous valances for one of my homes I was selling and didn't want to leave my drapes. I'm using muslin again. I bought the whole bolt of 108" , 15 yds for 66.00 at Joanns on line. Before I made this choice I went online and looked at several airstreams and most of the appealing ones to me had light solid color drapes. Just like hanging wall paper , no repeat pattern, less fabric. If my trailer is worth < 2000.00 then I'm sure a professional job is going to cost close to 1000.00. Even if I could get them for 500.00 , my trailer isn't worth it. My only regret is that I moved into a condo and no more basement with pool table and ping pong table. But, I do have a garage and saw horses and 4x8 plywood. Airstream in Jackson Ctr sent me the cut size of the drapes I need, the lining size and the pleat spacing. One of my panels is 125 W . I haven't decided whether I am going to make it all in one piece or break it up, you know those handles for the windows are a nuisance. I didn't recieve the fabric yet so I'm keeping busy caning the seat of one of my dining room chairs. Enough of my chattering, but, I sure get good ideas on decorating from looking at the pictures on this forum.
manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester
In fact, I hope to replace this trailer with a newer one and use this one as storage.

BLASPHEMY!!!! No A/S should be subjected and relegated to storage duty....that's what SOB's are for.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

I have the packet from James Ambruso on my desk, I got it about 10 months ago. Still haven't made the decision to take that leap ($$$) yet. The Sovereign did need quite a bit of work when I got it, and still needs some. I think after I replace the dented rear segment, and get my solar guard I'll spend the dough on the new curtains. It's only money, right?

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellN
It's only money, right?
Hey, if you don't use it, what's the point of having it?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #29
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
curtains

Greetings,
We bought a 68 Overlander this summer that had only blinds and really wanted curtains. After consulting the forum and few photos I decided I could tackle the job myself. It took me quite a while, largely because I had to develop a pattern/style to make them. I found great fabric from MelinaMade, the carriers from a camping supplier and we've been real pleased with the results. They weren't as difficult as I first feared, but there is definantly a time committment because I pleated the top and bottom and had to sew the carriers on the bottom by hand.
Happy to share the photos, if I can figure out how.

Aloha
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
JPA Drapes for Us!!

We ordered our drapes from James Ambruso in late September and will receive them in early December. We're nearly finished with our AS (except for the exterior polishing) and this includes the new drapes. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Lufkin , Texas
retribution

BLASPHEMY INDEED !!!
He who would sacrifice the Sacred 'Stream to Storage shall be SMITTEN !!!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I hesitate to ask....

just how much do these custom made drapes by Ambruso cost?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #33
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
just how much do these custom made drapes by Ambruso cost?
Depends on several factors...which trailer and what material and lining you choose; but for a 75 31' Sovereign the average price is in the $800 range. I have seen several sets of the Ambruso drapes and they are NICE! You can still order drapes from the factory via your AS dealer but they only come in one color...off white. Ambruso gives you several choices in color as well as quality of the material and type of lining.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The solar lining is well worth it. Ambruso drapes have some body and should hold up very well. I've seen many good pics from folks satisfied to have done their own too, so won't say one is absolutely better. Our time is over-committed as it is and the choice was easy.

A front pano window and two pairs of 6' long side drapes over each twin bed came to about $450 for us.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
strongsville , Ohio
I'm laughing all the way down the street to the storage lot

Don't have nightmares. Theres a load of airstreams in storage in my park. Why get rid of them when they can serve a purpose. Why get rid of the old one when it's still serviceable. I'm on my 4th airstream and if I didn't care for them I wouldn't keep buying them. My 81 went through a tornado and didn't even budge while other makes were totaled. I'd rather keep my overstock in my old airstream than some sheds. Every time I look at ebay I see the 70's are selling well they're built like the great wall of china. It's the previous owners who leave them unattended for years that are the bad ones. I found out if I go in my airstream at least once a year and turn on eack of the appliances , open the windows to air out the coach, run the shop vac to clean dust and turn on the gas to chase out the spiders so the lines don't clog, put a couple filters on for crappy water that my efforts paid off in good resale value.

No airstream I own will go to waste or be waisted.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
My head is spinning right now, Manchester! Storage....ugghh! Anyway, keeping with the original theme of the thread, my Ambruso drapes were $740.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'll be on the low end ... I'm ordering a set for the '59, with 4 smallish windows in toto, and will post the cost when the order is finalized. remind me if i forget & you want the info.

being a part-time seamstress, you'd think i could do this, but i don't want to. same with the polishing: i have 2 arms but i don't want to. thus dies my dream of rehabbing airstreams because each step becomes something i can logically hire out more efficiently.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #38
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile I wonder if tie dye will take to the old drapes...

Oops wrong decade!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
strongsville , Ohio
airstream drapes

I'm curious as to how professionals charge. Number of windows, pleats, lined / unlined or just tell them what trailer you have. I estimated my cost by the price of all goods required to make a set of drapes which would include LR, Galley, BR and BA will be <$100.00 and about two weeks of labor. Sewing to me is a hobby and I realize that's not the case in everybody elses world . I got good milage out of my drapes in my 25 y o airstream . If it wasn't in use the shades were always drawn, in use the shades were drawn on the sunny side. I was in NV and it was so hot my shades were hot to the touch. I went to the store and bought reg alum foil on the roll and lined each window because I was afraid the a/c would break if it ran 24/7 let alone heat like that will dry rot the drapes. Swear the temp in the trailer dropped 10 degrees and the shades cooled down.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Lufkin , Texas
Unhappy They did NOT Melt...

$900 bucks... for lovely new Ambruso drapes... but the fabric selection just didn't thrill me one little bit.
So I took down all the original, dingy, yucky beige bedroom curtains and washed them in the sink with Woolite.
When they hit the water I prayed they would dissolve like the Wicked Witch of the West, but NNOOOOOO....
They came out PERFECT. They even smell good. I can't believe how sturdy those old stitches turned out to be !
Moral of the story. Don't be afraid to wash the curtains.

Tags
cleaning, drapes, size