Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Old Greenwich , Connecticut
Adding wood paneling to interior walls/ceiling

Hi all.
First, I just made my intro in the new members area. Please tell me if I'm in the wrong place because I have an Avion. All the searches for Avion forums keeps pointing me here (Airstream) & I don't want to ruffle any feathers.
Ok, I bought a 1959 Avion Rover 23. Exterior is really nice, interior is rough. Someone used bondo all over to fix dents & paint is peeling. I want to add 1/8" cabinet grade plywood everywhere & am wondering if I should glue or screw?
The plan would be to cut the panels to match the shape/size of the existing aluminum panels. I think it would be best to screw it along the rivet seam & then I would make 3/8"x2" battens to cover the seams. I've done this in boats before & an easy project but wondering what you think. Screw or glue?
The plan is that this will primarily be a kids camping spot on our property. I will be adding some bunks, removing the kitchen. The bathroom is already missing. Once & a while it might go to a car event behind my '59 El Camino. I don't think it's a "rare" collectors, one of a kind piece that I will "ruin" by doing this. I got the idea from a gy in town who when building his house, he lowered two '40's travel trailers into his basement (next to the bowling alley, across from the underground tennis court LOL).
I'll add more pics tonight but here is my Avion.
Looking at the threads, I hope I'm in the right place as you guys (and gals) seem to know every piece of info and have covered every topic possible. You have some GREAT looking trailers! I love everything vintage and have restored several Farmall tractors, my El Camino (and several other cars), two vintage boats including a museum quality 1953 18' Chris craft Riviera. I'm REALLY looking forward to this!!
Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8697.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	235391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8698.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	235392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	235393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8705.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	235394  

CTdave2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Welcome to forums. This site is not WBBCI, just people with lots of ideas and help no matter what brand. Many people w/other brands are on air forum, no discrimination besides Avion made a very good trailer in past sometimes better than AS...I would glue and screw panels on walls adds struct. strength in my opinion. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Old Greenwich , Connecticut
As I mentioned, here is the indoor camping area in the gentleman's basement. He is a super nice guy & does very well for himself but you would NEVER know it. He has spectacular taste & his home reflects it. Obviously, I can't say who it is or where it is but we were invited to a party at his house. I'm a custom builder & have built up to 22,000 square feet but I've never had an owner who got creative like this man did. I was blown away every time I opened a door. I feel funny showing more but I thought you would enjoy the campers where his young kids entertain friends & "camp out". The interiors were redone to accommodate lots of kids.
What kind of trailers are these anyway? I didn't catch the name.

Huh, now I keep getting "upload failed"..... I'll keep working on it
CTdave2000 is offline   Reply With Quote