Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
'67 Caravel walls?

I have searched the forum and found various threads for what my walls are made of. I have a '67 Caravel that has the light textured walls. I know it is not Zolatone b/c I have used that before. Threads seem to say that I have vinyl clad aluminum, but I swear that the material is thinner almost like a formica type material. Is it really vinyl? When I think vinyl I think of the material that is wrapping the overhead storage bins and currently peeling back at the seam on the back of the panel. Do I indeed have vinyl clad aluminum walls?

If I do, what do you all suggest doing to refinish? I have so many rivet holes from many PO's different window treatments. Should I try to sand these down, patch the holes and prime/ paint? Or just put a "blank" rivet in these holes, clean the walls and call it good?

Need some solid advice here. Thanks in advance.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
I have searched the forum and found various threads for what my walls are made of. I have a '67 Caravel that has the light textured walls. I know it is not Zolatone b/c I have used that before. Threads seem to say that I have vinyl clad aluminum, but I swear that the material is thinner almost like a formica type material. Is it really vinyl? When I think vinyl I think of the material that is wrapping the overhead storage bins and currently peeling back at the seam on the back of the panel. Do I indeed have vinyl clad aluminum walls?

If I do, what do you all suggest doing to refinish? I have so many rivet holes from many PO's different window treatments. Should I try to sand these down, patch the holes and prime/ paint? Or just put a "blank" rivet in these holes, clean the walls and call it good?

Need some solid advice here. Thanks in advance.
Since you are not the original owner, it is impossible to tell what the previous owner/owners may have done to the interior walls.

How about posting a couple of close up photo's of the interior walls.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The vinyl does have a tough thin texture to it. I would not say it is the same as the stuff on the overhead cupboards. Different texture, and it kind of has a yellow tint to it. Many people complain about the vinyl being sticky with age. At least in the 68s.

I had extra holes here and there too. I just put an extra rivet in the holes and called it good. You could touch up the rivets with a little paint and they'd pretty much disappear.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The vinyl does have a tough thin texture to it. I would not say it is the same as the stuff on the overhead cupboards. Different texture, and it kind of has a yellow tint to it. Many people complain about the vinyl being sticky with age. At least in the 68s.

I had extra holes here and there too. I just put an extra rivet in the holes and called it good. You could touch up the rivets with a little paint and they'd pretty much disappear.
Our '66 TW has the vinyl coated aluminum. I needed to cut a couple of access holes with a hole saw (near floor behind cabinets) so I noticed the application. As for extra holes in the interior skin (2) I did as Strefrobrts. One more rivet is not noticed with so many.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The walls in your trailer were built using "vinylclad" aluminum. The vinyl was bonded to the aluminum.

The rooflocker doors used a vinyl wallpaper that had the same design as the wall material.

The vinyl was attached to the rooflocker doors with contact cement.

Not so with the walls.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Thanks guys. I have noticed too that the vinyl on the walls on the ceiling inside the rooflockers is sticky- hopefully a good scrubbing will do the trick!

Now I just need to decide if I want to paint the walls!
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel