Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
1966 Safari Cushion Advice

Hello everybody,
I just purchased over the weekend and all cushions are gone. I've measured, re-measured which makes me wonder if anybody's done this already and can clue me in on how the beds/cushions worked. I was assuming the cushions were reversible, but when you pull out and drop the rear cushion down, there'd be no plywood there. Are the back cushions just upholstered on one side and stapled to 1/2" plywood on the back for support when dropped down? Are there "templates" of these cushions available anywhere? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Greg

mysilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Greg, we renovated a 66 California built Safari a few years ago. We made templates for the bottom and back cushions. There is thin plywood sewn into the back of the bottom and back cushions. The two cushions have a fabric hinge that, when extended flat, lay down and stay together. Your gaucho top should have Walter of Wabash slides that extend the top gaucho plywood that makes the bed platform. Cutting the foam to fit is not difficult, but a bit more detailed if you choose to use a hot wire for cutting. If you want to get an idea of what the cushions look like, go to post #2 on the Forum thread “Tale of a ‘55 FC Whale Tail Reno”. Good luck and let me know if you need more info. Bubba

Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thank you Bubba!
So, I viewed pics but still confused. Do the "backs" sit atop the seat cushions or behind? Are they hinged on the top or bottom? Do you still have the Safari for actual cushion measurements or is it long gone? I don't know which model I have(CA though), but I have the couch/bed across from sink and the booth/beds in front(one 78" long next to refrigerator and one 57" long by entrance door with an 15" extension to make bed longer.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
The cushions are hinged on the face so when they are layed down, they are flat. On the front gaucho the back cushions are only about 10” high. We used 4” of medium foam and 2” of soft foam. We tried 6” of medium but it was way too firm. Now the side 78” gaucho is hinged the same but has a collapsible box that the back cushion sits on. When we extend the bed, the support box collapses down out of the way. We do still have the 66 if you need info. Cailifornia built has the tally on the curb side and Ohio on the street side. But all dimensions are about the same, just reversed. I’ll PM you my phone number and we can walk through this if you’d like. Bubba
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thanks again Bubba! Yeah, yours is identical to mine I believe. Gorgeous restoration by the way! Yes, if you'd PM number I'd greatly appreciate it. I had a '66 Overlander 26' back around '98-2000 but memory kinda faded I guess as I really have no recollection of how bed knocked down. I found one photo of the bedroom gaucho that had the foam filler under the 1x4, did the living room booths have fillers as well? I was thinking there were storage bins behind in my old one? Anyway, great to have contact with someone that knows exactly what I'm dealing with. Thanks so much! Greg
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Greg, don’t remember any storage bins under the back cushions. There are bins under the gaucho. Anyway, with the front twin beds, that would encroach on the narrow beds. The back cushions up front are only about 10” high. So I don’t think there was ever a support. I think I would add vecro under the horizontal cushion or a wood “lip” on the leading edge of the platform to keep them from sliding.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
1967 Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Greg, don’t remember any storage bins under the back cushions. There are bins under the gaucho. Anyway, with the front twin beds, that would encroach on the narrow beds. The back cushions up front are only about 10” high. So I don’t think there was ever a support. I think I would add vecro under the horizontal cushion or a wood “lip” on the leading edge of the platform to keep them from sliding.
Hey Guys, My '67 Safari has a 1x2 on the outer edge on all my slideout bed bases! It acts as a stop to prevent the mattresses from sliding off. The two twins up front that act as the seats for the dinette both had plywood under the slide out base plywood sheet. The piece over the water pump had an access hole to lift it up to service the water pump. The main full goucho bed also has the under plywood sheet. All the plywood was very thin originally. I upgraded to half inch thickness for more sturdy bases for beds. Added a little more weight but well worth it. I also added extra slides to stiffen the overhanging portion of the beds. I replaced original foam seat pads and backs with custom made innerspring standard style dual spring internal wire frames (think mini mattresses) for the seat back portions. When the bases mattresses (also same style) are slid out the backs just drop down and occupy the open space between the larger mattress part and the walls. Since the 1x2 on the outer edge is there the need for a fabric hinge is eliminated. It sleeps very well as they are basically a Serta Perfect Sleeper type spring mattress. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
This is the photo I found. There is a back support cushion behind BR gaucho, was wondering if this was also the case for living room? My measurements show the RH short booth seat should be (using 6" thick) 22.5" x 57"", the back 10" tall, plus a 15"x 32.5" "filler" piece. The LH (long) booth seat cushion is 21.5 x 78.5" and the back 11" (short side closed measures 28.5" and long side only 27.5")
My BR Gaucho measurements are suspect as the closed measurement is 32" and open is 47.5" (to wall). With foam "back support shown in photo, I'm guessing seat pad to be about 26" x 76.5 and back 18" x 76.5 What are your measurements? Thanks again!
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreambedroom2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	308345
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Greg, give me a call and let’s walk through these dimensions. I’m working out in the trailers all day and can answer any measurements you want. I had PM’d you my number yesterday. BIGED52 has the right idea about a ledge to keep the cushions in place. Bubba
Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Going to have to check settings as haven't received any PM yet.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
If you want, log in and click on my name in one of my posts. A window with several options will drop down. Click on the send a private message prompt. Send me a message and I’ll return with info. Bubba
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Mattress pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysilverbullet View Post
This is the photo I found. There is a back support cushion behind BR gaucho, was wondering if this was also the case for living room? My measurements show the RH short booth seat should be (using 6" thick) 22.5" x 57"", the back 10" tall, plus a 15"x 32.5" "filler" piece. The LH (long) booth seat cushion is 21.5 x 78.5" and the back 11" (short side closed measures 28.5" and long side only 27.5")
My BR Gaucho measurements are suspect as the closed measurement is 32" and open is 47.5" (to wall). With foam "back support shown in photo, I'm guessing seat pad to be about 26" x 76.5 and back 18" x 76.5 What are your measurements? Thanks again!
Attachment 308345
The pad that is mounted to the wall IS to help put the long back bolster/mattress piece out from the wall farther to allow the long piece to act as a better couch back support when in couch position. That wall pad also serves to insulate you from a cold aluminum inner wall as you sleep on the goucho in the bed mode. My trailer did not have any wall pads on the twin beds of the dinette. The short side bed near the cabin door has a curved corner seat back that filled in the mattress area when pulled out to the bed width. The extended small mattress is wide enough to fill in the length and width of the bed but lacks the cushion back as there would be no where to use it in the dinette seat mode. The short mattress piece stores under the table atop the plywood cover for the fresh water tank. Hope this helps! Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags