Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
1964 Safari curtain pattern & measurements

Hi folks,
Does anyone have original drapes /curtains from a 1964 Airstream Safari they would be willing to loan, sell or share photos of?

Needed as sample / pattern / measurements.

Tammy is going to make up my new curtains. I don’t have any of the originals.
The original top rail and hanger slides are in place. Apparently there was no bottom rail and pleats at top only.

We need to know details of the “snugger cord pocket” on the lining side to keep curtain pulled against wall, total length top to bottom, side to side etc.

My Safari has front dinette with jalousie windows both sides and street side gaucho windows.

Yes, I checked about purchasing drapes from J Ambruso, They tell me they no longer make drapes for ’68 or older Airstreams and do not have pattern / measurements available.

Thanks for the help,
Walter

walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Basic Curtain Guidelines

I've known several commercial seamstresses, and it is possible to make curtains starting by making your own pattern. Your local sewing center may even have a few books. Of course the wrap around windows defy the old rectangular piece of fabric rule... so here goes.

If you want to do formal tucked drapes... talk yourself out of it, it's a pain in the ****, skip right down to the next section. So here's the PIA tucked method:

Basic rule to buy fabric for tucked drapes. To make a finished panel 30 inches wide, you'll need to start with fabric that is 90 to 120 inches wide - which means seaming the fabric pieces together.

To make your pattern, get some heavy and wide butcher paper or brown wrapping paper and tape it over the windows leaving whatever margin you think correct to fit over the top (and if you have them bottom rails). Allow some overlap on each side too. I use masking tape because it leaves no residue if you remove it promptly. The pieces that go over the sied wrap arounds will actually have a shape vaguely like a slice of angel food cake - wider at the bottom, with a slight inward curve on the top and a slight outward curve on the bottom. Make your marks with a pencil, then cut out - and you'll have the size and shape of the finished panel. Add 1.5 inches to each side to fold over, finish and attach through the lining onto the curtain. on the curved pie shape, it's difficult to do a fold over, so I add a 5/8 inch seam allowance and cut a strip 4 5/8 inch wide for the top foldover, then sew it on. Decide how wide you want your tucks to be and how deep (use the top allowance - it needs to come out evenly so if the finished length will be 30 inches, you'll want a number of tucks that divides evenly into that - at 3 inches can have 8 tucks and leave three inches plain on each end. Figure your fabric used for each tuck - if I choose a three fold tuck that's 5/8" deep it will take 5/8" it will take a pinch over 3 1/2 inches of fabric per tuck. Add that to the width of each panel for each tuck. The bottom edge of the wrap around panel will be about 8 inches longer than the top. To put in the tucks you'll have to space them further apart but keep the tucks the same depth. (I did my first one on a cheap old sheet as a test.).....
-------------------------------------------------------
NOW SOBER UP AND TRY something easier. IGNORE the fact that the side windows are trapezoidal - make a rectangular curtain based on the bottom measurement and once on the curtain carriers let the top be a little more gathered than the bottom. If you're using a plaid fabric it will actually look better if you just make the panel rectangular.
--------------------------------------------------------
ALTERNATIVE #3 - even easier and with the right fabric choice very attractive - Gathered drapes. Not suitable for heavy fabrics like velvet, but works fine for lighter weight fabrics even with a lining. You'll possibly have to look in K-mart for cheap spring rods. You may have noticed that sheer curtains placed over doors with windows or sidelights to those doors are often secured top and bottom with a spring instead of a rod. The flexible spring hooks over two small flat hooks at each edge.

Make rectangular curtains 3 to 4 times wider than the window you want to cover and leave a pocket to gather them up (threading the spring through the pocket). Most people leave a 1 to 2 inch ruffle above the pocket - attractive and prevents the edges of the curtain from fraying due to stress from the rod. Works great on a flat window. On the curved wrap around windows, you COULD use this same idea if you have top and bottom curtain carriers. Just hand sew the little plastic curtain carriers to the back of the pocket about every 4 inches. Slide the plastic pieces into the slots, then stretch the spring and fasten to screws at each end of the window.

----------------------------------------------------
There is another way to make gathered drapes - permanently on a flat backing piece - but the previous way lets the gathers come out when you want to launder and iron them.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks for the info. I have figured it out but for some reason he isnt getting my emails.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks a lot. Whew!, now I'm scared. Tammy to the rescue. I'm in nowhere land (Canada) with email flaky. Forum PM seems to work.
Thanks, both of you.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I called Colaw Salvage in Carthage, Mo. They are sending me one panel from a Classic. I'm only paying postage because they said it is not a pretty piece, but that's ok with me.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Thanks Pat, I will give them a call and see if they have one.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #7

1962 22' Safari
westminster , Colorado
1962 Safari curtain issues

Have been a long time lurker on this site and now it is time for me to ask a question. I am a seamstress but I make clothes not Airstream drapery so I'm having a problem with the type of curtain hardware that goes with our Airstream. It is the Tab type, not the kind with the elastic. There is just this piece of square plastic and I really don't think I sew that to the fabric do I? I'm thinking my old Singer won't even sew through plastic. We tried the slider kind and the top part would not go through the existing curtain holder. I have searched the web trying to find a good picture of a Safari and drapes to give me a clue but I can't find a photo anywhere. Photos would be awesome if anyone has them. If you need a photo of the type of tabs that I have let me know. And I appreciate any information you can give me.

Jilli
jilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I have a '64 Safari (double model) with original curtains (I think). Problem is that when I purchased the trailer, all of them were thrown in the shower. I do not know what goes where. PM me and maybe I can offer some assistance.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Hi Toddster. I sent PM. Thanks for the offer to help
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi Jilli, it sounds like you have the same kind that I have in my tradewind. It just uses regular curtain hooks like these. I just put one in every pleat.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Wapello , Iowa
Does anyone have pictures of what curtains may have been in a 1964 Airstream Overlander ? Thanks !
Rock Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Crazy View Post
Does anyone have pictures of what curtains may have been in a 1964 Airstream Overlander ? Thanks !
Lookie here: 64Overlander
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Wapello , Iowa
Rivet Curtains

Thanks ~ wanted to keep with what may have been original patterns when I go to make replacements .
Rock Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully somebody is watching. I too have a '64 Safari that I would like to put original like drapes in. Does anyone have any pictures or patterns or anything to show just what they looked like?
64Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #15

Boulder , Colorado
Curtains safari 64

Hi, did you ever find any original curtain photos for the Safari. I just purchased a 64 Safari and there are no curtains in it.
PattyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #16

1994 25' Excella
Chicago , Illinois
Where does one buy the elastic parts that fit on the gliders, top and bottom? Can you install anything else that will work that would be easier to work with? I want to replace the curtains in my 74 airstream, but it looks like too much work.
Thanks for any ideas.
Peg
outdoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 safari