Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #1

1962 22' Safari
westminster , Colorado
1962 safari curtain issues

1962 Safari curtain issues
Have been a long time lurker on this site and now it is time for me to ask a question. I am a seamstress but I make clothes not Airstream drapery so I'm having a problem with the type of curtain hardware that goes with our Airstream. It is the Tab type, not the kind with the elastic. There is just this piece of square plastic and I really don't think I sew that to the fabric do I? I'm thinking my old Singer won't even sew through plastic. We tried the slider kind and the top part would not go through the existing curtain holder. I have searched the web trying to find a good picture of a Safari and drapes to give me a clue but I can't find a photo anywhere. Photos would be awesome if anyone has them. If you need a photo of the type of tabs that I have let me know. And I appreciate any information you can give me.

Jilli
jilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Checkout VTS, they have several different types.
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

Here is a good site for vintage trailer photos.
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilli
1962 Safari curtain issues
Have been a long time lurker on this site and now it is time for me to ask a question. I am a seamstress but I make clothes not Airstream drapery so I'm having a problem with the type of curtain hardware that goes with our Airstream. It is the Tab type, not the kind with the elastic. There is just this piece of square plastic and I really don't think I sew that to the fabric do I? I'm thinking my old Singer won't even sew through plastic. We tried the slider kind and the top part would not go through the existing curtain holder. I have searched the web trying to find a good picture of a Safari and drapes to give me a clue but I can't find a photo anywhere. Photos would be awesome if anyone has them. If you need a photo of the type of tabs that I have let me know. And I appreciate any information you can give me.

Jilli
Little plastic tabs. Sew right through them. The bigger the sewing machine the better I suppose but I think any should work. Hope the photo shows something. This fabric is also very light. If I can find more detailed pictures I will add more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 026 [800x600].JPG
Views:	167
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	59279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 014 [800x600].JPG
Views:	167
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	59283  

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

I have a old (1938) Wards sewing machine. Every part is metal. Sewed right through the plastic tabs without a hitch! They have a little raised guide to keep them straight and work great! I wouldn't try it with a newer machine that has a lot of plastic parts... If desperate you could make your curtains and take the tabs/finished curtains with precise measurements to the upholstery shop and see if they will sew them on... or look for a old machine at a yard sale. The old ones are usually $25 or so...

If you can't find a picture of the tabs, send me a personal message and I will try to take one with my digital camera and post... I didn't make traditional type drapes, I made very thick curtains out of fairly heavy cotton duck type fabric. Mine are double thickness ~ I don't like any light when I sleep.

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
lewisburg , Pennsylvania
The curtains in our 1965 Safari had a track at the top with metal curtain hooks attaching the curtains to the plastic eyes. On either corner a snap held the curtain against the wall. At the bottom there were rings sewn onto the curtains with elastic cord running through them. Snaps at either end of the elastic cord attached it to wall.
PeteL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

1962 22' Safari
westminster , Colorado
Hi,

Here is a link to Vintage Trailer Supply they have the tabs that we can use in our trailer. Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! Click on it and ours are called 1960's tabs. I think I'm going to just try and sew 'em with my old Singer and not worry too much about it. I've seen the 1965 curtains and I like how they have a cord to hold them back. I haven't figured out how to hold them back yet. Our trailer does not have any of the snaps so, I guess just figure things out as they come. New to this whole trailer thing, just want it to look good.
And thanks everyone, If I get my stuff together I can take a picture after we are done and post.
Jilli
jilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi again Jilli,

On our '63 I made a little band with velcro to tie around our curtains when we want them open. They stay just fine even when in transit, although I usually close the curtains when traveling to keep the sunshine from beating on the upholstery.

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
photos of '60 tradewind curtains

Saw this post-- Just recovered a fair condition curtain from the upper sealed cabinets of my rat-infested tradewind. I don't know the function of the curtain, but probably was a window covering. There are two detail pics of the tabs They appear to be sewn on with the same seam as the hem. But I see two extra sets of holes suggesting they may have been pre-punched for a particular thread spacing; if that would work..

The fabric design is very 60's to me I think its cool; my wife says I'm dead meat if I even dream of using this design!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_IGP7341.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	59438   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7342.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	59439  

Name:	_IGP7343.JPG