Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
New York , New York
'06 28 CCD Couch redo, with pics!

My distaste for the stock couch is well known -- uncomfortable and ugly. I toyed with the idea of tearing the whole thing out, but that would've resulted in a huge loss of storage. So, I decided to go with some custom upholstery, new cushions, etc.

Cost me $1225 for the whole works, including ten of the 12x12 yellow pillows. The guy came onsite to the RV park to do most of the work - I had torn the entire thing apart before he got here, so it was mostly a matter of him just recovering the pieces that I already had sitting outside. He made new cushions (and the pillows) at his shop, but everything else was done here in a couple of hours. Took me a few hours to put it back together, because he neglected to mark the screw holes as he was recovering the wood (whoops!)

There are a few places that need a little touch-up (top screws on the right side at the wall need to be covered with new round caps, and the pull-out bed panel doesn't seem to line up correctly on the right side and may need some adjustment) but overall I'm really happy with it.

Material is vinyl but looks and feels like leather. Stitching is yellow, which brightens the whole thing up a bit.

PM me if you'd like his info, he is north of LA.

Would love to hear suggestions on what color to redo the curtains in. The white is awful. I was thinking like a light brown or something, but I can't decide.

dre00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeNomad View Post

Would love to hear suggestions on what color to redo the curtains in. The white is awful. I was thinking like a light brown or something, but I can't decide.

How about ivory curtains with thin black vertical stripes? It would tie in the floorcovering and new couch cushions.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
I love it!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Looks great!

Here's a few fabric/pattern suggestions for the curtains -- just to get you started. Also, seriously consider lining the new curtains with black-out fabric to improve the way the curtains hang as well as insulation.

Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dottedweave.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	82683   Click image for larger version

Name:	romoaniko.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	82684  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stenning.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	82685  
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
OK, just saw the HJC helmet in your pic. Followed the link to your blog and saw the BMW Motorrad hat. Dying to know what you ride!

BMW R1150RT here. There are a few other beemers here on the 'Forums!

BTW, the couch looks very nice. Our decorator's motto "Mix, don't match"!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Good suggestions, thanks. Will post some pictures when I make a decision..

@DPeakMD- I ride an 1150GS Adventure most of the time, though it wouldn't easily fit in my silly short bed F-250. So, I brought my Ducati ST4s with me for this trip. Probably going to park for a bit later this summer (sad) and bring the GS out of mothball..
Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
That Is just totally sick!!!! I LOVE It!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
By the way, one other thing I discovered while ripping the whole couch apart - there is a secret storage panel under the left (long) cushion that gives you access to the space next to the water heater. It says not to store anything "combustible" in there -- which made me wonder, what's not combustible? Does anyone actually use that space? Why didn't they just put in a divider panel to make the space usable? (hmmm... note to self..)

The only thing I can think to put in there would maybe be a small toolbox, but it would probably slide around and knock something loose. Hrm.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Beeyouteeful!!!
Is it much more comfortable?
Looks like the cushions area little thicker - did you use denser foam?
We too don't like the stock sofa too much and would like to do something similar!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeNomad View Post
...1150GS Adventure
Awesome!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Susan View Post
Beeyouteeful!!!
Is it much more comfortable?
Looks like the cushions area little thicker - did you use denser foam?
We too don't like the stock sofa too much and would like to do something similar!
I went with 5" thick bottom cushions instead of the 4" stock cushions. The back cushions are stock, just rewrapped with the black vinyl. It's important to not go with anything too soft, as you will sink in and it will cause you some lower back troubles. 5" seems just about right, and you don't sink down to the wood.

The pile of 12"x12" yellow pillows is nice too, you can build a little mound of them to fit whatever angle you want to sit at..

One other thing that I didn't realize until I was redoing the couch - there is an angle wedge that sits behind the back cushions that had fallen down to the point of being ineffective. The right way to set this up is to push your bottom cushions all the way to the backstop, then lay the wedge on top (thick part on the bottom) then lay the back cushions there normally. This creates a more comfortable angle for your back. (Was this clear? Let me know if you want me to take pictures to explain -- as far as I know this wedge piece should've come with every airstream but is not mentioned in any instruction manual)

(Note that you can't really go thicker than 5" for the bottom cushions, otherwise the left side cushion hits the window latches (in fact, even with 5" bottom, it hits a bit))

So, overall, more comfortable? Yes, though still not as comfortable as my old Ikea couch back in my apartment. Possible that it's going to take some time to break in the bottom cushions, too. I think the posture is still a bit more upright than I'd like it, but there's not much you could do about that in this design without losing your behind-couch storage. (and when I want to slouch, I can always turn to the side in the pillow-pile..)
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Airstream Dad

2008 28' International CCD
Orange County , California
I like the look! Nice job! Has anyone considered doing this in leather?
28IntlCCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Port Charlotte , Florida
Does that couch fold down into a bed? any pics of that? Is that couch part of the original? Thanks
dausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

New York , New York
All I did was change the cushions and reupholster all of the trim pieces -- I didn't change any of the mechanics of the couch itself; it's exactly the same as stock besides the fabric and color.

Re: leather, it was more expensive and seemed unnecessary. The vinyl was just as durable with my dog (no scratches or anything), plus I try to avoid buying animal products anyway.