Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentontay View Post
Ray, if you have a corrupted memory card, sometimes you can recover some or all of the images using utility programs found on the manufacturer's website.

SanDisk:
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985

This is why pros use cameras with two memory card slots!

Denton
Thanks for the site address. Nancy was given some instructions by the person selling the cards. She was unable to get even a current photo to remain. He is sending a new replacement for the, previous, new card.

The sandisk site has a number of charges if there are any photos to recover and the reformat would have removed the previous photos as well... from we understood.

Some lessons are learned by trial and error the hard way... some lessons learned are on this Forum for all to see and not repeat without testing... first.

My camera is twenty years old. Working fine. All my photos on the Forum are from the same card and camera since purchasing.

A NEW Canon is still in the carton after several years and not a 'point and shoot' camera with more options than I need or use. SX50HS
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #22
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Years ago, we were in Norris CG, in Yellowstone, in our pop up. My oldest son buried a dry fly into his cheek. He and his mother wanted to drive out to a hospital. I said that’ll take two days! Pushed the hook on through, smashed the barb and backed it out. He was getting ready to cry, and I said too late! It’s already out..
We still love it there. Just kind of a magical place for us. Had a close encounter with a grizzly on our first visit. Luckily he wasn’t hungry or threatened.
I was on a motorcycle trip around Idaho last summer. My GPS kept trying to route me through Yellowstone on the way back to Missouri. I kept overriding it and stayed out of the park. Might have been the “shortest” way, but not the “fastest” way home..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #23
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
I heard a 72-year-old was gored by a bison this week. I guess she was trying to get him to pose for a snapshot.
No...she was trying to get up close and personal with a calf and mama did not appreciate the lack of social distancing.

Some people do not have a functional brain when it comes to wildlife :0)
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
My wife and I live about one hour north of the Gardiner entrance but this past week we went to West Yellowstone to camp. Traffic was backed up from the entrance into town for about three miles. This is why we never, ever go in the summer. See entrance link: https://www.nps.gov/media/webcam/vie...FE5983E4D2E421
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #25
Rynmn

2014 25' FB International
Oceanside , California
It sounds like you had a great time BUT had a lot of "hiccups" and frustrations along the way. We are looking at traveling to Yellowstone in early August. Enjoyed your insight.

thank you,

Ray D.
RYNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #26
Rynmn

2014 25' FB International
Oceanside , California
How is traveling to Yellowstone during the month of August...same - congested?

tks.

Ray
RYNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNMAN View Post

tks.

Ray
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ationstats.htm

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Shadow Mountain North of Jackson, Wyoming

Some possible OPTIONS:

Boondocking: Wyoming Fly Fishing & Free Camping (1-22-2008)
Post #24 Grand Teton National Park discusses Shadow Mountain

Also find Shadow Mountain Trailhead (there is a North and possibly a South)

I describe this National Forest area with photographs. I did this with a 23 foot Safari and Tundra 4x4. Wonderful view of the Tetons to the west and space for many trailers...if you want to tow up the gravel road that is tight, but two vehicles can pass. A pullout or two on the way up if necessary. Read the post. Caveats... but once there... wonderful open area and some pull throughs to the north in the trees.

Probably a 14 day limit to dry camp. Some say it is easy to get there. Maybe two ways, I went up the south end and maybe there is a north entrance. I was not interested in exploring both entrances, as I was there, camped a couple days and departed the way I came.

Top off fuel in Jackson if the Shadow Mountain option works. Maybe Yellowstone Park has a station, but we never looked when touring the area when there. Someone may know.

The parking lot is decent size at the bottom. Possibly detach the trailer in an out of the way spot, drive to Yellowstone and return the same day. About 41 miles to the Grand Teton National Park... as a reference.

Moran Junction, Wyoming is 27 miles from Yellowstone. Between DuBois and Moran Junction you may try to locate a NFS open area to park trailer. I never bothered to research it, but convenient if you do some research.

DuBois, Wyoming is 85 miles to Yellowstone. Large public park on the south side of town. Another option for those who are willing to ask.

Cody, Wyoming... drop off Airstream and drive to Yellowstone. I do not know if you can drop the trailer off along the road across from the Cody Museum. Doubtful, but I did not check.

Google: Shadow Mountain Campground / Shadow Mountain Designated Dispersed Campsite #2... do some research.

By ALL means... do not tow through Yellowstone Park. Even if you are going in and out of the park without stopping. Covid19 will not stop anyone now as the crowds are coming.

Find two, three options. We operate by seeing an opportunity and get to it. Not for everyone, but my hair is already grey and have a Can Explore For Anything with our tow vehicle and trailer when not pressed for time.

Whew... There is a lot to see at Yellowstone... only if you exit the main roads as the trees are so thick you cannot see anything until you go directly to the sight and hope a parking spot is available.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Other options when you begin to Panic

Before I go totally insane and senile... some other options for those Asphalters and Dirt Bagging OTG Boondockers:

Some members are thinking of going to Yellowstone Park during HIGH SEASON and expect things to be smooth and no issue finding a place to drop off the Airstream.

There are Off the Grid Boondocking sites with fresh air and nothing else. As you get closer to Yellowstone, Jackson or the Tetons... expect YOU and your Airstream being towed on the highway to be the curse of traffic. Not them... of course.

DuBois, Wyoming. Cody, Wyoming. Shadow Mountain, Wyoming. You can calculate distances easily on Google. There is a PRICE of TIME for convenience and lack of poor Airstream drop off sites.

Jackson... give me a break. Maybe south to the Granite Hot Springs where there is what now maybe left of a convenient Boondocking overgrown weed site. If you are lucky, a couple nice spots in the pine near the Granite Creek are nicer. The rest has gone to Hell and it is not by mistake... no one wants to clean up the mess that some campers leave.

The Hot Springs has a swimming pool. Takes the dirt right off of you. There are hot springs spewing out of the falls on the small river, too. The Hot Springs Pool may be discouraging campers from this area now. Check first. Times are changing in Wyoming, as well, in north Alpine. Grocery stores and Fuel. This large area may be off of the To Do List. Ooooh Weee.

Also campgrounds west of Alpine, Wyoming along the Snake River and reservoir... but do not count on anything being available until the last minute someone departs and YOU get the spot. Yankee Doodles is a great place for meals, as well.

Maybe stay detached at the Boat Launch, where no one is launching after Sunset. Get the idea.... Sly as a fox kind of thinking sometimes may help in a pinch.

These were locations for the 2016 Wyoming Adventure and nothing was avaiable, a forest fire to the south of the Granite Hot Springs and no doubt other natural disasters that are common in the crowded National Forests during High Season! August... optional options are optimal.

Do not stress out. At the worse. Find a pull out, park and mind your own business. You have an Airstream. It has a toilet. You can live full time in it. Everyone recognizes an Airstream. The 2020's look like 1958 to everyone else. Our 2019 was believed to have been an antique. I should of said I purchased it new in 1978... but I was numbed out that day.

(Site and Sight... the same. Just typing too fast on previous post.)
Old 07-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
The first time I was in Yellowstone was 1964. It, as we know, was different then. The U.S. population in 1960 was 179,323,175. The U.S. population in 2020 is 332,639,000. That goes a long way in accounting for the increase in visitors to National Parks; all of them, even Big Bend, which I remember in the early '70's was well nigh empty. I remember climbing the Grand and the only people on the mountain all day, well, on our route, was my partner and me, even at the summit. Same goes for Long's Peak and many others.

So, now we go to places that people, for the most part, haven't discovered. I'm glad people are out and enjoying nature, I just wish it would result in greater concern for the environment, conservation, ecology, biodiversity, funding, etc. But for that to happen requires leaders who are scientifically literate. How can one graduate from high school, let along college, and not know about the scientific method? I was a Classics major in college and I know about it!

As to educating people about how close is too close to get to a wild animal, I think it would be good for the NPS to teach, and reinforce through continued teaching, that if you hold your thumb out at arm's length, and your thumb isn't covering the animal in it's entirety, then you are too close.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

tks.

Ray
Hi

Things are packed at least through early September. It begins to thin out as various facilities shut down at the end of September / early October.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Since some of you have shared information about camping spots, I'll share about a place we like to go that is far from the maddening crowds: it's the east slope of the Winds. Try Trail Lake Road (Dubois). It's a drive from there to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, but you might find that you won't be as interested in going there once you begin exploring that side of the Wind River range. Saunter up Whisky Mountain and you'll have a beautiful and solitary view of the Teton's to the north. Well, it might not be entirely solitary, as you will find yourself in the company of a herd or two of Big Horn Sheep. But they'e quiet, so you'll probably enjoy their company.

And while you're on that side of the Wind River mountains, look to the east and think about exploring the Wyoming section of the Absaroka's. And while in the wilds of the Absaroka's, look at the other mountain ranges that surround you in all directions.

Our Airstreams can follow our Tow Vehicles to some amazing places. But you already know that.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Geez I thought that with the absence of Asian tourists that Y’stone would not be so crowded this year. Guess I was wrong. Me I’m stuck up here in the Great White North. The border is closed and inter provincial travel is frowned upon.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #34
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
It sounds like you had a great time BUT had a lot of "hiccups" and frustrations along the way. We are looking at traveling to Yellowstone in early August. Enjoyed your insight.

thank you,

Ray D.
Ray; Just an FYI - most of state parks are full for the season, you may need to look at alternative places to stay along the route - and honestly, I would avoid traveling through Yellowstone with your full rig. Find a place to drop off the AS and drive your TV through if necessary. August is still in full blown shoulder-season....and the ignorant critter-chasers will park in the middle of the road to chase down a buffalo, bear, moose...hell, even a squirrel!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Well crap.....
one of our bucket list trips eventually in our new Airstream was going to be Yellowstone one day but you guys have just about talked me out of it.
We’ve been to Yellowstone twice but not as campers. Stayed in Big Sky, MT and drove down just for day trips. Stayed in Old Faithful Inn one night.(never again even though it’s awesome spectacle to see). Being from The South, we had never experienced anything like Yellowstone. It’s definitely a unique place. Just thought it would be a different experience camping there, but sounds like it may be a headache.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote