Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wild & Free Airstream OTG Wyoming

Boondocking "Wyoming Cowboy" Style is only when you have what you brought with you. The photographs are the 'busy' parts of Wyoming.

Each Airstream and Oliver Elite II Travel Trailers are 'Homes on Wheels'. The only limitation is YOUR imagination, and trust me, Nancy and I are very generous with our idea of Camping with a Travel Trailer.

The first experience is your introduction to what we use to consider Boondocking, but we now have to say Off The Grid Boondocking. No facilities. Nothing is available to you but what you packed.

We have to have a trailer outfitted with Solar, Propane appliances and 12 volt electrical needs. NO outlets out here... NO water access... NO guide to help you navigate a road that does not end.

If the road does end... knowing in advance by walking part of the road ahead is important. Backing up is a complicated matter. The 'shorter' the trailer, the more difficult it is to back up to get... out.

I discovered years ago that to be an 'Off the Grid Boondocker', you should have a purpose or reason to explore the unknown, unpaved and often unmarked two tracks or BLM 'maintained' roads.

I am a Geologist. If it does not move, it is often a Tree or a Rock Outcrop. When tent camping, we traveled... light with minimal supplies.

A 4x4 pickup works BEST. A Double Axle has its advantages. The 16 inch Michelins, a plus. The 3 inch Lift is the Key to the Outdoors and access to most any road that are maintained and some that were there when the Oregon Trail was... graded for Ranches. Yaaa Hooo...

With our current 27FBQ Airstream and double axle Oliver... we can stay for a long time. Only getting there and finding a camping spot becomes important. Setting a Tent... just enough to park the 4x4 Ford, unload the Blue Heelers and set Camp.

The Airstream... stop... unlock the door... Home Sweet Home. What were your FIRST Boondocking experiences... that pushed into Off the Grid without giving it a second or... sixth consideration that it was impossible.

I add some Wyoming photographs. Lots of open space and the roads seem to go forever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0416.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	439660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	439661  

Name:	DSCN4750.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	439662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4720.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	439663  

Name:	DSCN5409.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	439664  
Old 12-20-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Off Topic Forum: Travel Trailer License Testing DMV... become a Human Bean and learn from the young family members of Ranchers and Farms across the USA.

The majority of Travel Trailer owners pay to stay. Comfort among the many and then complain about the many being... (listing all the complaints is long).

Worried about dust, unpaved roads, no speed limits, lots of free parking, etc...?

Take a detour from your leisure and pampered camping. Get dirty. Stink a bit. Rough it without Street Lights and flushing toilets.

Or... keep on doing what you are doing. There are options. Out of your comfort zone? Probably not. Dry Camping is without hookups. You have a Home on Wheels. Make some changes. You are already old and your options become limited. Your knees are weak, skin flabby, a bit of a belly from the Good Life?

Toss the RV Park experience. It is a Zoo with Old People.

Get out into the Western Wild Lands of the USA... almost like Alaska, but less water and fewer tourists in the warm month or months... depends on your clothing options.

If Wally could tow a trailer on a bicycle... you have already passed that age. Try something new... not Knew. If you do not like it... you need to practice. Lifting weights is not a Beer in one hand and a Hot Dog in the other. OK?

Lets have a push up test in Wyoming. I will count... you do the push ups. OK?

Loan me a pen and paper. I travel light.
Old 06-09-2024, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hi again Ray, my first boondock was at a bluegrass festival. Primitive? Yup. Still crowded though. Second was the Wyoming tour that you and Thalweg organized.
We’re going on the Alaska caravan this summer. Starts 12 July and goies to mid Sept. we learned a lot from you in 2016 on the Wyoming cruise. You 2 are always welcome at my campfire.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 11:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
Impressed but…
Why/what/how are those two HVAC units used?
Good space for solar panels or vent fans.
peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
HVAC's are for the....next Owners.... these are Unused

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy2ten View Post
Impressed but…
Why/what/how are those two HVAC units used?
Good space for solar panels or vent fans.
There are TWO 100 watt Solar Panels on the 27FBQ Airstream Roof.

I also have a 'portable' 100 watt Solar Panel that plugs into the Battery Box and connected with a cord and a controller that came with the Costco panel for $99.

The AC Units are required for selling to most individuals who live below 5000 feet elevation. In New Mexico last week, days were mid 80's and mid 40's by morning at 7800 feet. No AC's needed. No furnace until the outside temperatures get below 30 degrees... this Spring in the Gila Mountains. Dog water freezes solid in the high 10's to low 20's, the first morning.

At sunrise... the trailer is Hot and the dog's water bowel is solid ice for two to three hours.

Tent Camping is the Education. An Airstream is the Reward for understanding that once the Sun rises... the temperature at elevation goes from frost to hot... by orientating your trailer door and trailer to catch the full Sun.

Last week in the Gila New Mexico National Forest, it was in the low 80's during the day and 40's at night. Then set the trailer end to end into the rising Sun. This was at 7600 feet elevation. We like it a bit cool inside and can sit outside to get hot... in minutes.

Cedar Breaks, Utah at 10,250 feet... during the Summer is... wonderful. All Four Seasons during a 24 hours period.

Some adapt to working with the Sunrise and orientation of the trailer in the shade of pine trees, and catching Solar. Our batteries are 100% charged and for 12 volt / propane appliances. The 2019 models have 12 volt, propane and 110 volt appliances which makes them wonderful Off the Grid models.

Been doing it since 2006 with Airstreams and the last three years with a 2019 Oliver Elite II, with Four Solar Panels and 4 Six Volt Batteries as our 'Go Anywhere' double axle trailer. Wow... I say.

Learn from others' mistakes as we were the ones making those early mistakes. An Education for Boondocking Off the Grid has its costs, but we all learn and opens many opportunities for the 'curious' individuals like ourselves. Having three Cattle Dogs/Blue Heelers makes it all worthwhile. We all howl as a pack at Sunset...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0358.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	444214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4619.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	444215  

Old 06-10-2024, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A couple who Survived the 2016 Wyoming Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Hi again Ray, my first boondock was at a bluegrass festival. Primitive? Yup. Still crowded though. Second was the Wyoming tour that you and Thalweg organized.
We’re going on the Alaska caravan this summer. Starts 12 July and goies to mid Sept. we learned a lot from you in 2016 on the Wyoming cruise. You 2 are always welcome at my campfire.
We avoid humidity, when we can... and rain, fog and morning dew. Give us the elevation in the West is Best. If my nose itches... it is perfect.

Some photographs of the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. Take lots of photos in Alaska and post some.

Several of us climbed the peak to view, barely, the Airstreams camped below near the trees. Ahhhhh.... Crazy as a Fox we say. Nancy took the photograph... I am the nut in the photo.

You were Survivors... of that Wyoming Adventure. Not all finished. Alaska will be your coming Adventure. Thalweg is probably still shoveling SNOW in the Big Horn Mountains... he likes snow.

I said I would get you there. Once there... everyone needed to do what they wanted, or thought they wanted. I was not a paid Tour Guide. We offered an experience that was an introduction to what an Airstream and experienced owners can manage. Most could. Some not. Not everyone's 'cup of tea', I say.

Enjoy going... AND returning. Getting home is always a... relief. We avoid taking the same route back. Two Adventures for the price of one... option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4721.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	444216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4735.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	444217  

Name:	DSCN4746.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	444218  
Old 06-13-2024, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Last night and tonight are our first disbursed camping. We're headed to Escapade, due in tomorrow, so decided to stay on the BLM land north of Green River, WY. Beautiful! Supposedly there are wild horses here, but we haven't seen them yet. We have seen evidence of them, though.

One minor complaint. A previous occupant of this site left a broken toilet seat behind. Tomorrow morning, when I have my gloves on, I'll grab it and take it along to a convenient dumpster. It would have been just as easy for whoever left it here to do that.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
The previous camper was probably trying to recreate his own version of a “crescent moon”.

Thank you David, for being a good steward of our beautiful wilderness.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Horse Nuggets on the Dirt Road: Yaaa Hoo they are near

[QUOTE=kb0zke;2738910]Last night and tonight are our first disbursed camping. We're headed to Escapade, due in tomorrow, so decided to stay on the BLM land north of Green River, WY. Beautiful! Supposedly there are wild horses here, but we haven't seen them yet. We have seen evidence of them, though.

These wild horses are out there. The way you find them is where they leave 'horse nuggets'.

ON the ROAD. No horse nuggets... no wild horses. The higher the 'nugget pile' it is a notice to others... Keep Out.... on the road.

The fresher the nuggets... the closer the wild horses. They travel in pairs or three at a time. Good company for horses: one Stallion and one or more Mares.

Oregon Buttes, Wyoming also has Wild Horses close to the natural pond, on the North East side. Find the water source... you find horses. Coyotes... and birds... and whatever is thirsty. Also some vegetation to supplement their meager diets in the area.

The fresher the nuggets, the closer the horses are to you. They avoid Human Beans. Horses have an excellent 'Sense of Smell'. They will see you before you see them, as well. Yep... true.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We really enjoyed the last two night up on the top of that bluff, although it was a bit warm when we went to bed last night.

Yes, the horses did leave calling cards, but none where they were inconvenient for us.

When I picked up the old toilet seat this morning I could see that it has been there for some time (lots of dirt inside). As we were leaving we saw a BLM pickup coming out of what we assumed was another camping area. Don't know if they check the campsites, but if they do, they can't see very well.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 03:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

You were Survivors... of that Wyoming Adventure. Not all finished. Alaska will be your coming Adventure. Thalweg is probably still shoveling SNOW in the Big Horn Mountains... he likes snow.
Snow's pretty much gone as of last week. Was a pretty weak year for snow.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote