Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
Thanks for this thread y'all I'm a total noob. This is my first post and first airstream ('75 land yacht 25'). I understood "that" 110 didn't work unless on shore but not "why" until now. I found the ciggy adapter in the bunk section. So if I have a 12v to 110 inverter I could run a tv or charge phone, or better yet a blender, right? I just need to make sure that inverter can take the load right? boonbocking is one thing but tailgating without tv and blender is uncivilized.
TG Twinkie provided lots of good information, to which I want to add this: If you're going to add an inverter to a 1975 Airstream, you'll want to wire it in either directly to the battery or very close to it, and if you're planning to make frequent or heavy use of the inverter, you may want to consider a second battery.

IMHO a better alternative is to find 12v devices where possible. There are some TVs designed to run on 12v, and some that have an external "power brick" that puts out 12v (or some DC voltage close to that) for which you can make or buy a 12v source. "Car charger" power sources for the cell phone or tablet, or even some laptops, and learn to love your Margarita on the rocks.

All of that said, I ended up with a CPAP machine that requires 120v (I got it before the first Argosy) and I have a 2nd battery that I only take with me when boondocking. I chose an AGM so I could charge it inside the trailer without worrying about off-gassing, and it's good for a couple of 8-hour nights without running the battery too low. Since my boondocking-to-hookup ratio is about 5:1, the extra hassle isn't too bad.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Because I also have a CPAP machine, I too need the power to run it. Even though I have an external inverter (my CPAP runs on 12 VAC - that's right, 12 volts AC, so it needs an inverter for that). My AS is equipped for boondocking, so I have 3 75-watt solar panels, 4 AGM batteries (2 inside behind the gaucho) and when the inverter charger the PO installed died, I had a Xantrex 3000-watt pure sine wave inverter charger installed. I still have to press a button to engage the inverter, but it provides 120-VAC to all the electrical sockets. BTW, it's nice to be able to freshly grind my morning coffee while boondocking in the Sonora desert (mainly Quartzsite).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
You must be plug in to outside 120V at a RV Park, Running Gen, have a inverter that takes 12 volt to 120 volts that is on and installed in the trailer. If you have one of these check the C-B at the C-B panel or at one of the outlets.
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
I have two cigarette lighter plugs wired into my AS. One by the Television and one in the back bedroom between the beds at our feet. Both I can use an inverter to plug Televisions or bigger items into for power... I mostly use them to plug my cel phone in for charge...
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
I just got an AS and was surprised the TV wouldn't work on the battery.

My solution was just to use the inverter I use in my car that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I plug that into the cigarette lighter next to the TV and then plug the TV into the inverter. The inverter I bought was like $30.
mrpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
As to the water pump question. Not a thing wrong with the advice given by Robert Claus.

My boondocker water, elec. and propane stinginess has me turning off the pump when I know I won't need water and keeping the water heater off most of the day.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Twelve volt tv are available. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Let me throw a wrench into this mix, if I may. I have 300w solar with a Blue Sky controller, works great, by BTW.
When I plug my clock radio into a 65w inverter, the clock runs fast?? Any ideas out there?

Thanks beforehand!

BTW Howie, I concur.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Chances are your inverter is not a pure sign wave design. That could be the reason for the clock running fast. Clocks use the 60 hertz (cycle) frequency to keep accurate time. The PWM type inverter probably doesn't look like 60 hertz to the clock.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When you make Margaritas your blender will run a little faster too.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Let me throw a wrench into this mix, if I may. I have 300w solar with a Blue Sky controller, works great, by BTW.
When I plug my clock radio into a 65w inverter, the clock runs fast?? Any ideas out there?

Thanks beforehand!

BTW Howie, I concur.

What type of in inverter do you have? That is a typical symptom of modified sine wave inverters. You never see that with a pure sine wave model.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote